The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #1306
Paper exe
Pwnd

lol Yeah I actually used to have that issue. It was hard finding these kind of magazines and be wanting them in the same time in my country. I used to buy video games magazine on like every blue moon.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #1307
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

GBA Metroids are worth playing. Both are excellent games. One is a remake of the OG Metroid. Both are the same quality as Super Metroid if not better.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #1308
NES4EVER
Gibby

I have been looking for a copy of Super Metroid for damn near a decade because it was dubbed "the greatest" metroid game but for some reason it, and super mario RPG have eluded my grasp. Nice review
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #1309
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

You can get Super Metroid on the Virtual Console on the Wii. But you probably want the original game sine you like to collect them.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #1310
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I strongly recommend Metroid Fusion. It's my favorite Metroid game fo'sho.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #1311
Meshugana
Daddy Fat Sacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NES4EVER
I have been looking for a copy of Super Metroid for damn near a decade because it was dubbed "the greatest" metroid game but for some reason it, and super mario RPG have eluded my grasp. Nice review
i will happily sell you both, no box tho
Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #1312
Hikash

First, you can die on motherbrain. It's not impossible to do, but you have to try. Just try to get hit on everything you see. (both beam and normal attacks can kill you here.)

Second, I wouldn't say that the GBA games are better than the SNES version. Fusion especially kind of holds your hand through the game. If I recall, the last boss in fusion was pretty simple as well. The remake of the original is decent though--probably as good as Super Metriod.
Hikash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #1313
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I loved the remake for GBA, except for the final "stealth" mission tacked onto the end. Boy, did that suck! As I recall, I was also playing Dragon Force for Sega Saturn at the same time Zero Mission came out and thought that the former was even more fun overall, and that's saying something because I hold Metroid in high regard.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #1314
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I infinitely prefer Fusion. Yeah, it's easy, but the play control and style has never been matched.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #1315
Paper exe
Pwnd

Hey joe why don't you review some TurboGrafx games? This console is a huge mystery for me. I would like to know some of it best games.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #1316
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I've reviewed 9 TurboGrafx games so far, but I'd be happy to review more!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #1317
Paper exe
Pwnd

thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #1318
Joe Redifer
Olé!

J.B. Harold Murder Club
8/10
TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM

Definitely one of the better early CD games.

J.B. Harold Murder Club is a text-ish detective game similar to the detective scenes in the Phoenix Wright games. There's no courtroom here, but trying to figure things out, finding evidence and make the perpetrator confess to the crime is what this game is about. There is only one case in the whole game, and it's fairly long. It's also one of my guilty pleasures.

Oh shit! Now you need to find everyone associated with the
household and ask them where their asses were at 10:30.

Story: 7/10
A game like this absolutely relies on it's story, and fortunately it's a good one. A wealthy executive named Bill Robbins has been murdered... stabbed in the back and stuffed into a car. Pretty grisly stuff for a game made in 1990. You are J.B. Harold, the detective assigned to the case. You go around interviewing people, looking for evidence and trying to obtain search and arrest warrants when the need arises. The characters range from bland to quite memorable, and you do grow to know people and their personalities. The case itself is really cool, as is the background story behind it.

Despite graphics like these in the opening, the game does not have any action scenes or full motion video.

Graphics: 7/10
This game features digitized still photos of every person and every location featured in the game. There isn't any animation other than the opening scenes and people's pictures sliding in and out, but it all still works. While not the best the TurboGrafx could do with digitization, people still generally look pretty cool, if a little washed out. There isn't any video in this game so don't worry. The overhead map is tremendously bland, but fortunately you'll almost never be looking at it.

This game is a bit more adult-oriented
than your typical Phoenix Wright fare.

Sound: 7/10
Digitized voices have been recorded for each and every line in the game in both English and Japanese (your choice). Many of the voices are actually well acted. Unfortunately with so many voices in the game, the quality is a little grainy. Do not expect "cd quality" voices here, but the voices really do add to everyone's personality. You can also elect to turn the voices off completely which speeds up the game immensely. Most of the music is generated by the TurboGrafx-16 and it can get annoying after awhile, especially since there isn't much variety. There are a few jazz CD tracks which are absolutely awesome, my favorite is the theme that plays when you select "Investigation Rest".

This poor guy is hilarious! He has virtually no answers for you, but
you can harass him about everything anyway. His voice is insanely
awesome, especially in English. I wish he was the murderer.

Gameplay: 8/10
These kind of games really click with me for some reason. There's no puzzle solving to be done like in Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS, and everything you do revolves around navigating menus. Still, I love hounding people to death to get them to change their answers so I can get a search warrant and then arrest their ass! New questions to ask someone else come up after you talk with people, so visiting someone again won't always result in the same exact experience (though it'll be close). This game is a very tough nut to crack, even if you've beaten it before and already know who the killer is. There's always that one question or piece of evidence that you need to show someone that eludes you. It can be beaten, and I've been through the game several times. Turning off the voices really makes the game more smooth since it doesn't have to stop and load. You may turn them off once you figure you've heard enough and just want to get on with it and I certainly wouldn't blame you. Still though, the voices are half the fun. Well maybe 4/11 the fun.

This guy loves the cemetery. He never, ever leaves!

Wrap up:
This is an often overlooked yet worthwhile CD game that will work with any TurboDuo or TurboGrafx-CD system regardless of System Card version. It was ported from a computer game which I have not played, but nobody cares about PC games. I can still play my TurboGrafx, but I don't have a PC that is weak enough to play that version. I think you are supposed to throw away PC games when you are done with them, but I'll never throw away this TurboGrafx-16 CD game.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #1319
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shining Force
9/10
Sega Genesis

The artwork, while cool, definitely does not fit the game.

I can't believe I overlooked how good this game was when it originally came out. I rented it and I'm sure my thoughts upon entering the first battle were "WTF is this shit? I have to think? Screw that, I hate thinking!" I never really gave it a chance, and it certainly wasn't anything like Shining in the Darkness which was released two years prior. However, that is a really, really good thing. Shining in the Darkness was just a dungeon crawler, and although it did have some of the cool things that exist in the Shining world, it was kind of lacking in my opinion. But with Shining Force they decided that Strategy RPGs would be a great new genre!

The game uses the Genesis' amazing shadow and highlight function
to mark where you can move on the map. 12 MEGA POWER!

Story: 7/10
The game is divided into 8 chapters which span the story. That's more chapters than I've ever read in any book in my life. The story is your typical medievil-ish storyline with the big bad guy whom you must defeat before he accomplishes his goal. There is nothing revolutionary in this area, but the characters really stand out. You may even remember some of their names up to a week after you've beaten the game... they're that memorable, and that's pretty rare.

Graphics: 6/10
The graphics here really aren't anything special. The towns are all very simple looking with very few colors and very little detail. On top of that, the towns all look pretty much the same. Nothing will harm your eyes in the town as things are drawn well, but it looks pretty flat and a bit boring. The battle maps, on the other hand, look a little better. Again they are nothing truly special. The battle scenes themselves look really cool with nicely animated characters on both sides and cool backgrounds. There is some flicker of the menus during heavy magic attacks, and the Genesis' second background layer is never used at all. I think they could have done a little better, but overall you'll be too busy playing to be stressin' about eye candy.

The backgrounds change often during battles, yo.

Sound: 6/10
There really aren't any bad musical passages here, but what brings things down is the repetition, especially in the towns. The music rarely changes and when you're busy passing items from character to character just so one person can equip a certain weapon, it can get very annoying. I often pressed the MUTE button when I was in towns. The battle theme also never ever changes, and you'll hear it A LOT. After the battle ends, the overhead map music starts back over at the beginning which makes things even more repetitive! I often pressed the MUTE button when fighting as well. If it weren't for this problem, I'd really enjoy most of the music.

This game kicks ass. A must play!

Gameplay: 9/10
Ah yes, a strategy RPG. At first I didn't think I'd be too interested, but once I figured out how the game works, which doesn't take very long, I was completely hooked. I really like the icon system that Sonic Software Planning and Climax came up with for the series, although it can make things a little tedious when you're just trying to talk to someone in a town. You can get over 20 members in your party if you can find them all, but you can only choose 11 members besides yourself at any one time. If you leave someone behind, they won't level up, making htem more and more useless as time goes on and it's hard to tell who will be a powerhouse after lots of fighting. There are plenty of characters you probably won't mind leaving behind, though, like Bleu the dragon. The game allows you to promote characters after they reach level 10 or higher, but they don't get any paid vacations, higher salary or other perks that usually come with promotions. I noticed that my characters started sucking ass when I promoted them, they'd always miss enemies in battle. If I ever promoted an employee and their performance became immediately worse in all areas, they would be fired and then receive a severe beating! But once their levels started rising again, they became super power houses. It does take lots of patience, but leveling up the characters in this game is really fun, at least it was for me. It's certainly nowhere as tedious as leveling up in regular RPGs. There are only 30 battles in the game, but it seems like much more as the battles are usually fairly big and you'll be doing many more than once since you'll want to "egress" back to towns in order to survive. There's a lot of detail I won't go into like how different characters have different ranges, spells and all of that crap. Just know that there's plenty of variety and if you don't like this game, you are dead to me.

See??!! I told you the backgrounds change often!
(Really, they do!)

Wrap up:
While it likely isn't the first console game in the Strategy RPG genre, it definitely was the first good one. I played this game for 9 days, only skipping one day due to having a semi-life, before I finally beat it. It doesn't have a timer so I don't know how many hours it took. Oh well, I'd rather not rush through the game to get the lowest time possible. This game is not extremely rare nor ultra common, but it is definitely worth having. I was sad when the game was over because there were no more battles to fight, but really happy at the same time since now I can play Shining Force 2!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #1320
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I probably won't ever play it. If you have a PSP, you should try Jeanne d'Arc. Cool SRPG.