The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #91
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Update:
I added a couple of other people's interpretations of the startup voice to my Thunder Force II review on page 4.

Vert1:
I know of no place that rents N64 games, especially Japanese N64 games. If Power Play Games was still in existence around here, they'd probably have it.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #92
Vert1
Banned

It's not an import title. It got a 65% from gamerankings just to add...

You have to capture some screenshots for me in Baten Kaitos,Joe. That game is gorgeous. Best looking game ever.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #93
Rubeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Did you have the official 4MB RAM cart, or a 3rd party offshoot? All of the SNK 1 Meg games work on the official Sega/Capcom 4MB RAM cart that came with X-Men vs. Street Fighter (though there was a version of the game that didn't come with the cart). The only one that does is KoF '95, which had it's own ROM (not RAM) cart.
I bought the offical Capcom 4MB Ram cart with Xmen vs SF for Saturn! The SNK games load and run with the 4MB RAM Cart, but the problem is that they all have broken graphics (distorted sprites) with the 4MB RAM cart. I guess if I bought the bootleg / 3rd party RAM cart I may have a better chance running those SNK games.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:13 PM   #94
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hmmm... all my SNK games look fine with the Capcom cart. I think I've only used my 1 Meg RAM cart once or twice since I got the the Capcom 4MB cart.

Vert1: You posted a Japanese box cover of a game I've never heard of. Also isn't Baten Kaitos all pre-rendered?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:40 PM   #95
Vert1
Banned

Yes that is correct. The art in this game and the music...very nice. This game is supposedly Chrono Cross 2+. I actually stopped playing Prime2 because of how fresh and great this game is.

What N64 games do you own,Joe?

Last edited by Vert1; 11-20-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #96
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Hybrid Heavin did infact come out in the US, and Baten Kaitos is the 'epic' rpg that the gcn was needing, so yes, it does have prerendered graphics, it's a standard in todays rpg's. Hybrid Heaven also got bad ratings and I also concur, it was ass, I rented it back in the day. The best rpg's for the n64 are Paper Mario, Doubutsu Mori, and Custom Robo Version 1+2. That ain't sayin' much though since all those games can be found on the gcn, in the US even. Joe, don't waste your time, now as for the 4meg ram cart, I want to get SFZ3 with the 4meg ram cart, but it goes for like $200 on ebay.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #97
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Good choice for your first Saturn review. It's hard to think too much about what Capcom has become as of late. Where are all those glorious 2D outings? No Street Fighter 4. No Darkstalkers 4. No NOTHING. Just lame ports and bad collections. The one good thing they did over the past couple years as far as their 2D fighters are concerned is that Street Fighter Anniversary Edition, even though that's still just ports with a few extras.

Please don't die Capcom.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #98
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well I'll be sure to review the Saturn version of Street Fighter Zero 3 in the near future. In the meantime I have 2 more Saturn and 1 Genesis game coming up.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #99
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

when are you going to compare and contrast Tengen Tetris to Nintendo's Tetris?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #100
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Tengen(Atari Games) is a port of the arcade Tetris. Tengen Tetris has better gameplay and is more balanced. It also has a two player vs. mode. The Atari 8-bit(400/800/xl/xe) version of Donkey Kong is also better than the NES version as well. These are all facts, whatever Joe says is just fanboyism.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #101
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't need to compare and contrast because AtariX has already done so.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 PM   #102
Rubeus

It would be awesome if someone can do a port of the arcade version of Tetris on PS2 or GBA, its better than those other Tetris games on either systems IMO.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:16 AM   #103
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
4/10
Sega Genesis

Look at this box. Just look at it!
Imagine that sitting on the shelf staring
at you while you are trying to sleep. You
can tell Alex is a hit with the ladies!

Alex was a favorite game of some people on the Sega Master System. I never really understood why. It was a good game, but not great. The jump and punch buttons were ass backwards on the controller, and you couldn't switch 'em! Alex Kidd starred in more games like Lost Stars, Hi-Tech World, Shinobi World, etc, but none of them played even remotely like the original game. Not until the Genesis came out with Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, anyway. This game restores most of the original's gameplay. And yes, this is a 1 meg game, only 128K, same size as the original!

Alex can punch innocent commuters into nothingness!
Alex is a terrorist and he does not reason with anybody!

Graphics: 4/10
Considering this is a one meg game, the graphics aren't too bad... considering. A second layer of scrolling was added to give the game at least some perception of depth, but the background scrolls almost as fast as the foreground, offering little separation and thus little perceived depth. There isn't much in the way of sprite animation and most characters look as if they were designed for a kiddie game, which Alex Kidd pretty much is. Alex himself sports some hardcore sideburns, which must be all the rage on planet Paperock. If you want to admire Alex, I advise standing still and taping the punch button again and again. Only his arm and eyeballs move back and forth. This will enrage you and make you want to digitize yourself into the game just so you can murder Alex.

Although you are only betting on the pogo stick,
you are still asked if you will bet your life.
Perhaps the pogo stick is Alex's reason for living?
I know I couldn't live without mine

Sound: 4/10
The original dippy tune from the first game shows up here, and it is only marginally improved by the Genesis' sound chip. Most of the music is fairly poor, but the tune in the forest level is oddly bouncy and happy, all the while characters that resemble Jason from Friday the 13th are trying to axe you down (hmmm...). There is actually a pissy voice sample in the game when Alex is playing Janken (paper, rock, scissors) which I can only decipher as "Jan-Ken-Bet!" Nothing much to talk about here.

You can ride a motorcycle, helicopter and other such nonsense
in the game. You can even brutally murder bald eagles just for fun!

Gameplay: 4/10
The gameplay of the original returns, but there are far more Janken matches in this game. You collect coins and money bags (gold baum), but you never use them to buy anything, but still you feel you must collect all you can find simply because it's there. Instead you use the gold baum to bet on Janken matches. The Janken gets old very fast, believe me. The controls are OK except you seem to have a lot of momentum which makes avoiding enemies difficult at times. The B button punches, while A or C jump. This let's people who were used to the ass backwards controls of the original as well as normal human beings "enjoy" this game. The one-hit death system is restored from the original game as well, which will make any gamer happy as everyone loves one-hit kills without exception! You also can collect a variety of items that let you do things such as read the minds of your Janken foes (all they think about is paper-rock-scissors, never any nudie images going through their brains. For shame.) or fly around in a pedi-coptor. Yee haw.

The game lets you swim underwater at one point, and Alex never needs to
come up for air since he stores oxygen tanks in his gigantic sideburns.

Wrap up:
Well it is kind of fun but gets old quickly. But the box cover does double as a fact-acting laxative just by looking at it!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #104
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Coming soon: Panzer Dragoon. All of 'em.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #105
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Coming soon: Panzer Dragoon. All of 'em.
Ya! Can't wait to read it. You and Icarus are machines when it comes to reviews.
:cool guy:
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote