The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #826
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Awsome review joe. I had heard good things about this game, but since I'm low on cash I'm going to have to go rob eb now.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #827
Agamum

Nice one Joe although after seeing this review the DS was given here Im a little sceptical to buy one.

http://www.flashplayer.com/animation...vie.php#bottom

Not really though this game looks an awful lot like the old Sega version,which is a good thing in my book

---excuse im broke---
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #828
camac
I feel so good.

That dude with the sword and the shield was one of my favorite guardian souls until later in the game. Overall it was a terrific game, I prefer the weapon system of past games like SotN and AoS over the soul upgrading thing. It really loses that sence of searching for treasure/weapons or whatnot that the old games had. Most of the castle is now empty and if you ever do find a weapon chances are the one you are equiped with is way more powerful thanks to the soul upgrading thing. Minor complaint. Julius mode makes up for it completely (complete with that awesome easter egg). Still trying to defeat death on Julius mode, that bastard is hard.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #829
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Every time I play Julius mode, I get trapped below the giant column of breakable ice after I go into the next room and come back out. The only choice is to reset or power off the game.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #830
Alucard

I'm playing it. Thats how cool I am.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #831
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I'm playing it. Thats how cool I am.
That's why there's this one of a kind special avatar for ya

:cool guy:

and also

STEAM

Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #832
Alucard

Well its official. I'm KOOL
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 AM   #833
Joe Redifer
Olé!

PC Genjin / Bonk's Adventure
6/10
PS2

Bonk really needs a giant afro.

Hudson has remade a ton of their classic games from the ground up this generation, and PC Genjin (the Japanese version of the very first Bonk's Adventure) is no exception. If you don't know who Bonk is, then you probably weren't too familiar with the NEC TurboGrafx-16 (aka PC Engine) game system of the early 90's. You suck. If you are familiar with Bonk, well whoop de doo! Look at you! You think you're special but you're not. Face it, you can't win.

Collect all of the psycho happy faces!

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics have been completely redone. The backgrounds now have multiple layers of scrolling and the 3D effect looks really cool, like a diorama or something. In addition all of the backgrounds have a bump texture that makes everything look like texturized drywall or some crazy shiz like that. They even have the moon which is on the wrong side of the background (it scrolls in front of of the mountains and clouds) just like he TG-16 version. The characters are all polygons now, and they look pretty bad. Bonk himself looks really goofy. After his first piece of meat he transforms into some sort of weird half-ape who looks like Reggie from Nintendo. All the world hates half-apes. The bosses are nowhere near as big or as cool as the TurboGrax-16 version. There are lots of text effects like a giant "AAAIIEEEE!!!" the glows and scales when you transform into your full-blown Neanderthal state. Also when you walk, the words "Pop pop pop" float up from the ground for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I love it!

Hit the dino on his head to open his mouth, crawl in
and swim through his intestines and out his ass (true)!

Sound: 7/10
The music has been slightly redone, but it doesn't quite have the same zeal as the TurboGrafx-16 chiptunes. It is pretty good music nonetheless and it's fun to listen to Bonk arranged. Some of the sound effects are really cool, especially Bonk's reverberant scream when he transforms in any manner. But mostly there really isn't too much to talk about when it comes to sound, it doesn't blow you away and it certainly doesn't disappoint.

The level 1 boss sure looks lame compared to the
original PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 version of the game.

Gameplay: 6/10
In Bonk's Adventure, you use your head as your only weapon. You jump and then bonk things with your head!! Get it?? BONK's Adventure??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Woo! The main style of play is pretty fun, and they have added a quest to get all of the fruit icons in any given level that was not present in the original version. This adds next to nothing to the gameplay. Nothing good, anyway. Unfortunately, the controls are a bit messed up. The CIRCLE button jumps and the X attacks. Controlling the game is very similar to playing a Gameboy Advance game on the Nintendo DS... it doesn't feel natural and it's definitely not comfortable. If there is a way to change the controls, I certainly can't figure it out. You can't get into the same rhythms when you fight your enemies that you could with the original game. A good example is the first boss. In the original version, you could just keep bouncing off of his giant head, press attack and land on his head again, damaging him, repeating the process until he dies and having assloads of fun while doing it. In this new version you can only bounce a few times and the boss does a ton more damage and it nowhere near as fun. All and all not a horrible game, but not fantastic either. I give it about a 6 I think. What do you think?

The dancing cactuses are no longer as crazy nor as animated as
they used to be, and are also much harder to avoid.

Wrap up:
It's Bonk's Adventure! This is also available for the Gamecube Nintendo and that version likely supports 480p wheras this version does not. Good price good choice (as it says on the box).
Old 10-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #834
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Bonks adventure is the game. I always played it for the turbo grafix 16. It's fun and worth buying at a reasonable price. Good review joe, let's celebrate by banning a couple of people.

STEAM

Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #835
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Yes, good review Joe. It almost makes me feel like playing Bonk again...............actually no it doesn't.
Anyways I really don't like when you have a side scrolling 2D game with polygonal characters. The characters seem to clash with the backgrounds and always seem to not feel normal.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 AM   #836
Freeman

oN WHICH page are ur Crash Bandicoot 1 & Magician Lord review?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 AM   #837
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I will BAN you if you do not laugh at my joke. It is a fact that Africa has the highest cases of AIDS per capita. I'm not being harsh at all.
Actually that's more of a fact than a joke unless the definition of 'joke' in your post means.............BS/Retarded/IS A FACT/can't be denied, etc.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 AM   #838
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Look on the first page of my reviews for an index of everything.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about in your second comment so I will ignore it.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #839
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Dawn of Sorrow looks like a must have title. Makes me wish I had gotten a DS. The graphics look superb and makes me wonder what Konami could do with the series in 2D on a newer console. I guess you'll just have to have fun with it instead, Joe.

At first I was hoping they'd remake Lords of Thunder and so forth, but reading your Bonk review made me think twice about that. Damn, I hate it when companies make their remakes even worse than the originals. Perhaps only Nintendo should be allowed to remake titles. After all, how many other companies know how to improve their remakes?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #840
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer

The dude with the sword and shield is not in the real game
as far as I remember. Again I had to steal these pics.
Yea, this guy is in the game. I have his soul and use it quite frequently.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote