The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-15-2004, 05:32 AM   #61
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I demand that everyone download the Quicktimes for Super Monkeyball 2, Batman Returns CD, and Thunder Force II and give me their opinions!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 PM   #62
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I wonder why they don't work?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #63
Joe Redifer
Olé!

What doesn't work? You need Quicktime 6 because they are 3ivx encoded (MPEG4). You MIGHT try to relable them as AVIs to see if they work first. I didn't enable pure MP4 enoding which would have made them "AVI incompatible".
Old 11-16-2004, 02:09 AM   #64
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I see. All I have to do is download them and they'll play just fine. It's because they're such huge files that it took forever to play. Batman Returns does indeed sport some smooth scailing, though that sewer level doesn't look terribly fun. TFII brings back memories.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:42 AM   #65
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ah you must still have dial-up. Sell your PS2 and get broadband! Anyway because they are videogame files and everything moves so damn fast, the files tend to be big compared to regular video.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:55 AM   #66
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I have Cable so everything loads up rather fast. I remember having dial-up connection. Man, that thing was slow. But those were the "good ol' days" of online, back when you could look up sites which actually had downloadable music and other cool stuff that they've more or less cracked down on over the past couple years. A lot of the cool sites, such as the old wrestling theme music sites, were so awesome, yet now look at what they've become--mere shells of their former self. All they have now are MIDI versions of their themes. How stupid is that?

Anyway, what good would it do for me to rant? I wonder what the first Saturn game you'll review will be....
Old 11-16-2004, 03:16 AM   #67
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There will be a bunch... in time... but now it's time for:

F-Zero GX
9/10
Gamecube Nintendo

Made by Sega and censored by Nintendo!

Nintendo made an awesome SNES game and it was called F-Zero. Definitely one of the better games on that system. We got a decent N64 version, but the graphics on that system made it hard to look at without vomiting (something that plagued 99% of all N64 games). But for the Gamecube, Nintendo decided that Sega should program the game, since Sega is frighteningly astonishing, and Nintendo has ALWAYS known that. And Sega did nicely indeed! What did you expect? Alex Kidd in F-Zero World?

Nintendo and Sega on the same videogame screen?
I always have to clean up after I see this.

Graphics: 10/10
This game arguably has some of the best graphics of any home game anywhere EVER. The frame rate never drops. The detail is absolutely superb. You can only see pop-up (fade in, actually) if you really look for it. The game moves extremely fast and never slows down. 480p is supported. 16:9 widescreen is supported. In fact, this game is one of only 2 games (the other being Super Monkeyball 2) that gets 16:9 perfectly right. There are no stretched menus. No stretched HUDs. Nothing is stretched. It is 100% true anamorphic 16:9. There aren't too many games that even approach this level of graphic goodness, and as of right now, only Rallisport Challenge 2 on the Xbox surpasses it, but this game has way more style. Sega has done an outstanding job, and they know to use the Gamecube hardware much better than ANYONE else, including Nintendo (who has never even made a 16:9 widescreen game in its existence). Easily one of the best looking games out there, bar none.

Goodness gracious me! F-Zero GX sure iz da
phiggidy phat mad tight bomb yo! Fo' shizzle!

Sound: 9/10
There is a lot to like about the extremely racist sounds of F-Zero GX. You don't hear much from the cars themselves during the race, but the music, for the most part, is absolutely splendid. There are a couple of tunes that are kind of boring. The game is quite racist, however, and it stands to chance that the game hates YOUR ethnicity. For instance, when you are racing on the track called "Lightning", a robotic voice constantly says "Deigo wop!" as an insult to the entire Italian community. Also in the selection screen where you pick your racer, you can hear a robotic voice at the beginning say "The Japanese will rule!" which is a warning that Japan intends on conquering the world and making slaves of us all. We must act now, fellow Americans! WE MUST! Actually since we Americans are pretty lazy, we can act tomorrow instead. Sega's racism department worked overtime once again and they get a 10! In the meantime we can listen to the many many cool tunes for F-Zero GX, which is also presented in Dolby Pro-Logic 2 for your enjoyment. Some people say that they don't like the music because they are used to listening to techno when playing futuristic racing games like WipeOut. Those people are not only wrong, but they are boring as well. They should be burned alive for our entertainment.

Hitting the jumps can send you soaring.
Naturally, you can still steer in the air.

Gameplay: 9/10
Oh man! Is this game ever fast! Control is great, and you can pick from many many different types of racers, all with their own unique feel. You may be required to do a little fighting during some of the upper levels, as knocking opponents off of the track is literally the only way to win. If you're good enough, you can even unlock all of the arcade tracks as well (as seen in the F-Zero AX arcade machine down at your local Chuck E. Cheese). But be warned... this game is DAMN HARD! I mean daaaaamn! I literally twisted a Gamecube controller into pieces due to this game. It will take you at least a couple of tries to beat this game entirely. The story mode is extremely hard as well. That mode pits you up against certain challenges and then laughs at you as you lose. Beat the story mode and then you can try it on hard. No problem, sign me up! You can also buy parts for your racer and build a custom machine in the garage, and even design logos for it. That mode is pretty cool and adds a lot to the gameplay. Don't expect Gran Turismo or anything, this game is an arcade racer pure and simple. It has no desire to be Gran Turismo or WipeOut. It is F-Zero, and this game will own you. Despite the extreme difficulty, there is still something very addictive about this game. I play it all of the time. It calls to me. I can't put it down. And neither should you.

You can even create your very own emblems!
Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator ain't got nothin' on this!

According to my research, this screen seems to mean that the race is over.
You are left feeling sad when this happens because the race is so fun.
But fear not, as another stage approaches. If you made the cut, that is.

Wrap up:
One of the best racers out there, and the pinnacle of Gamecube graphics. Leave it to Sega!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:44 AM   #68
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Joe, can I please make a request?
I dont know if you have played it, but Id love to see your review of
Panzer Dargoon Orta or Saga
sharky~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:36 AM   #69
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I will try to do both in the future, as I have them both.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:42 AM   #70
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Cool, my fav game series of all time =D
sharky~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #71
Red-Cell
Registered User in 3028AD

?If you think you need it, luck, good luck.? Is what the title audio form TF2 that you provided sounds like to me. Thanks for the Reviews by the way, it seems that I always get sidetracked and forget about finding a game I liked a while ago until someone reviews it. Then I go out and buy it with more money I don?t have, but it?s worth it in the end :bigsmile:
Red-Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:08 AM   #72
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I updated my review to include what you think it says. Any other takers want to try the "decipher the Thunder Force II voice" game?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:39 AM   #73
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I don't have a clue what it says. Is it even english?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 AM   #74
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well, kind of... at least.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:05 AM   #75
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Wonder Boy in Monster World
8/10
Sega Genesis

Check out the HORRIBLE box art!
No wonder the game didn't sell well.

The Wonder Boy Legacy
Wonder Boy games by Sega usually mean you're going to be in for a good, addicting time. The first Wonder Boy game was not set in Monster World. It was exactly like Hudson's Adventure Island for the NES. The next Wonder Boy game was called "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" and took on a completely different style of gameplay due to the copyright issues with Hudson Soft over the first game. You had to buy armor and weapons and solve puzzles like the Sphinx asking you which game he has been playing recently (either After Burner or Missile Defense 3D). There were no save points and the game could be beaten in one sitting if you knew what you were doing. Then came "Wonder Boy III: The Dragons Trap". Also set in Monster World and a direct sequel of Monster Land (in fact this game let you play a simplified version of the last game's final level as a prologue), this game had you changing into different creatures with different abilities and is widely regarded as the best in the series. It added a password save function. It is also known as "Dragon's Curse" on the TurboGrafx-16. Then there was "Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair" for the Japanese Mega Drive which was also known as just "Monster Lair" on the Turbografx-16 CD-ROM. That game barely counts. It's little more than a quick diversion at best, and does not take place in Monster World. Instead it is a very weak side scroller/shooter. And here we go again back in Monster World with the aptly titled "Wonder Boy in Monster World" (also known as "Dynastic Hero" on the PC Engine), this time with battery back-up save (though with only one save slot) and Wonder Boy's first appearance on the Genesis. Wonder Boy 4, but Monster World 3. There was a Monster World 4 in Japan that was awesome, but it didn't have Wonder Boy in it. Also it is fun to watch Wonder Boy's hair color change over each game. The first 2 games he had yellow hair. The 3rd game he had green hair. And finally in this game he gets blue hair. He's just so stylin' he can't make up his mind!

Check out how Wonder Boy has progressed over the years in this gigantic composite!

Graphics: 8/10
Wonder Boy in Monster World looks pretty good, with lots of nice colors and very well drawn locales. The enemies take on the typical cartoony Monster World style and it works here again, and the human characters all have a sort of super-deformed anime look to them. In fact you'll even see cameos of creatures from past Wonder Boy games such as a large fish which was a boss in Monster Lair (Mega Drive/TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM). This is the first time in the series we get multiple scrolling backgrounds (if you don't count the Mega Drive version of Monster Lair, that is). The "HUD" that provides information at the top of your screen takes up a HUGE amount of screen real-estate unfortunately. I wish it were smaller. There's not to much else to say about the graphics except I really like the style that most of the backgrounds are drawn in, and again the use of color is superb.

Nice, colorful graphics with
typical Monster World enemies. They
are cute but deserve to die anyway.

Sound: 6/10
The sound effects all pretty much take their cue from the Sega Master System version of Wonder Boy III, and sound exactly the same here on the Genesis. Not that it's a bad thing. Some of the new original music is mostly boring, but there are a few tunes that'll have you humming. The game does dip back into the series' past games to pull a few tunes from. Most of the earlier boss battles (and the final boss) all have their music pulled from Monster Land's boss theme. A couple of bosses towards the end get the cool Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap's boss music, and even one tune is pulled from Monster Lair. This may come as a disappointment after the masterfully scored Wonder Boy III on the Sega Master System, which had all good music. At least it has more than 1 or 2 repetitive tunes unlike the very first Wonder Boy game. Good God that got annoying! Here we also get stereo for the first time in a Wonder Boy game (that is if you don't count the Turbografx-16's Dragon's Curse which was in stereo).

This is a sign near the very beginning of the game.
Nice of the monsters to welcome you to their world!

Gameplay: 8/10
This game has some RPG elements to it like collecting cash and buying weapons and items. As you progress new areas will open up for you to explore. This can get kind of addicting when you're trying to power yourself up as much as you can just to defeat that cool boss at the end of the cavern. The Sphinx is in this game as well, but he is not in humanoid form like in Monster Land and you never have to fight him. Also the questions that he asks don't elude to Afterburner, Missle Defense 3D or any other Sega games. Mostly it is pure side-scrolling charm with wonderful control. The magic and item usage is a bit weird. You can equip two spells or items at any given time. In order to use them you must press and hold the A button and then left or right on the D-Pad, depending on which item you want to use. Once you get used to this it's not that bad, though. You can equip different items for different occasions and even shrink down in size to enter small doorways and crevices. When you do this you bear a more-than-striking resemblance to the mouse character in Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. It packs a lot of stuff for just 4 megs, but mega-super length isn't on that list. The game is probably around 6 hours long (a bit more if you want to make sure you have EVERYTHING), maybe more (I didn't time it) and is quite rewarding. The game is never overly difficult and shouldn't frustrate you too much, but it does provide a decent and fun challenge. You probably won't want to start a new game right away once you finish it, however. You'll just be happy and put the game on the shelf, proud that you've beaten it and saved Monster World for now.

Oh noes! Wonder Boy is mega-stoned and
he sees walking 'shrooms in the town!

Wrap up:
A nice addictive 2D journey back into Monster World is always a good thing. After you're done with this one, go and get your hands on Monster World IV for the Mega Drive!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 12-11-2005 at 11:54 PM.