The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 AM   #541
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Tokuhiko "Bo" Uwabo also did the music for Space Harrier II, so if you just happened to trade Phantasy Star 2 for Space Harrier 2, then at least you will still have music that originated from the same guy, and that's all that matters.
C'mon man, do you need to rub it in?

Anyway, thumbs up on another good review, though I disagree with you about it deserving a 6. But different strokes for different folks. Do you also have those arranged PS music CDs? They're great.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:36 AM   #542
Joe Redifer
Olé!

They are absolutely fantastic! Perhaps I am a bit hard on PS2 because I was judging it on my 2nd time through. There was nothing new for me to discover anymore (this did not seem to affect me playing through PS1 again, nor Shenmue 1 or 2). The first time was much better, though still not as good as part 1 by a long shot!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #543
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Yeah, those albums are amazing. Then again, it's Sega -- go figure.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #544
Nephlabobo
Banned

Does anyone know if the PS2 release of PS1 and 2 will have new translations?
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #545
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm sure they will. It would be impossible for them to use the old text since the entire games will be reprogrammed.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #546
gearhound
Versus the World

i would have to say that the graphics in PS2 are much better than the master system's phantasy star.

overall, PS2 is a good game, not amazing or anything, just good. PS4 is much better, yes.

Last edited by gearhound; 05-17-2005 at 07:20 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #547
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You're gonna have to back up that claim of Phantasy Star 2 having "much better" graphics, Gearhound.

Below are some comparison shots between Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System (left) and Phantasy Star 2 on the Sega Genesis (right). Obviously the Genesis has more resolution, so those pictures will appear larger.

The towns in Phantasy Star 2 are a bit cleaner and ever-so-slightly more detailed
than Phantasy Star, but it is definitely not as bold or as colorful.

In Phantasy Star 2, you must walk around EVERYTHING on the overworld map. Annoying.
Phantasy Star 1 is more colorful and you can walk through the forest.

The dungeons are a huge difference between the two games. Phantasy Star 1 has a nice,
smoothly scrolling dungeon that mimicks how a first-person shooter moves. Phantasy Star 2
had boring mazes with pipes blocking your view. You moved very slowly.

Another huge difference in graphics are the battle scenes. Phantasy Star 1 had detailed
backgrounds that would change depending on where you encountered the fight, and they were often
animated. Phantasy Star 2 has a boring blue grid for every battle in the game. The monsters all
animate poorly as well. You get to see your characters fight, but it doesn't help the boredom.
Phantasy Star 1 also has quick and efficient battles, whereas Phantasy Star 2 was very slow and made
even worse because of how often the characters missed when fighting.

The last boss is also cooler in Phantasy Star 1. In Phantasy Star 2, you fight a giant
chick with very large hips and the only thing she does is color cycle.

As you can see, Phantasy Star 2 is kind of a graphical let down after the visual brilliance of Phantasy Star 1 on a much lesser game system.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:24 AM   #548
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Are you going to review Samba de Amigo? amigo?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:31 AM   #549
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Let me tell you a little tale. I had the Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA, bought it when it first came out. Cool GBA game, one of the best on the system. I was about 80% of the way through Phantasy Star. I took my GBAsp on a little trip with me and lost my GBA in a case with my Phantasy Star Collection, Iridion 2 and Iridion 3D carts inside....total bummer. I even went old school with PS and used graph paper to map the dungeons out. All of it wasted. :thumbdn: I replaced the GB, and Iridion games, but was too bummed to get PSC agian. Just won a cart only auction of PSC a few weeks ago, as I still had the box and instructions. Back playing PS agian :cool guy: and I'm up to level 8 with Alis and almost have enough money to buy the lamp, to go dungeon crawling. This time though, I'm going cheap and using the dugeon maps on the internet. Oh well, just a stupid little tale to tell that probably know one cares about, but just thought I would share.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #550
gearhound
Versus the World

eh, still doesn't look as good.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #551
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You're gonna need to explain that one, Gearhound. I'll give you the towns and the overhead map, but that's it. The battles and dungeons (which you spend the majority of time in both games) look clearly better on the SMS.

AtariX, I can understand not wanting to play through all of that again. That's the problem with RPG's and games these days... they just take so much damn work to get anywhere and if you lose a save file or whatever, it is daunting to restart before you've finished it. Of course Phatnsy Star is worth it.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #552
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Ok Joe Galmish............I mean Redifer. Are you going to review Samba de Amigo or what???????
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:57 AM   #553
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'll get around to it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #554
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
You're gonna need to explain that one, Gearhound. I'll give you the towns and the overhead map, but that's it. The battles and dungeons (which you spend the majority of time in both games) look clearly better on the SMS.
how can you say the dungeons look better in PS1? they are first person. also, the battles really don't look better. look at the enemies; the world map looks better on the genesis as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #555
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The dungeons in PS1 had a really cool 3D effect (and were much easier to map). Not even the Genesis was able to pull of the PS1 dungeon effects in Shining in the Darkness. It ended up being choppy as hell. Only Shin Megami Tensei for the Sega CD compared.

The enemies in the battles on Phantasy Star 2 are quite small compared to most of those in Phantasy Star 1. The battles look MUCH better in part 1. Leaps and bounds better. But if you like a boring blue grid used in EVERY battle no matter where you are, land, sea or space, then I guess you probably think that Solaris on the Atari 2600 looks as good if not better than StarFox 64.