The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #481
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Listen again. Go to the sound test. First track.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #482
Paper exe
Pwnd

Joe I realy want to see what you think about Zelda Wind Waker.

Note-my cousine loves your reivews he even come here just to read your reivews keep up the good work. :cool guy:
cousine I hope you are reading this.

When I said to him to buy Ys he said no this game sound bad I told him to give it a try then he still refuse but then after a month or so when we talked yesterday he said that Ys sound like a good game because of Joe reivew and I beat that he forgot that I told him that because of the way he sound but off course he cannot say I did not say it because he know well that he forgot or did not care about what I think and that would start an argument that will never end.
but at lest he admit it even thought I am sure that he forgot about it.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #483
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I have never played Wind Waker. I have only watched a friend play it. I really never have been into the Zelda games. I did like the graphics, though. For the most part it was a well presented game.

Thanks for the other comments!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:58 AM   #484
Paper exe
Pwnd

I knew it.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 AM   #485
gearhound
Versus the World

what are you reviewing next, joe? gradius V?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #486
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm not sure, I hadn't really thought about it.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:21 PM   #487
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Joe is reviewing Gunsmoke for the NES since we are having a Gunsmoke party tomorrow night!(Saturday)
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #488
Joe Redifer
Olé!

We are? I can't get anywhere in that game. At least not in the arcade version. I've only played the NES version a couple o' times.

Choose a better game, like Columns or Bimini Run.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #489
gearhound
Versus the World

dude, gunsmoke kicks ass!! a gun smoke party! that sounds sweet... :yikes: cap the night off with some bionic commando.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #490
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It's interesting because I have not been informed that any Saturday night get-together is official because SOMEONE has their cell phone powered off and their home line has been busy all night.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #491
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Gunsmoke is somewhat challenging at first but should be conquered by the second/third attempt.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #492
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

That inconsiderate bastard!! How dare he have his cell phone turned off and his home line is busy. It almost sounds like he is TRYING TO AVOID YOU!!!

Yes Gunsmoke party at my house and EVERYONE on the MB forums is invited! Just PM me if you feel like coming to Arvada, Colorado USA and I 'll give you detailed directions! And after Gunsmoke we will play Solomon's Key and compare with Icarus' review.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #493
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There was no Gun.Smoke played, as Vicviper couldn't deliver the goods. He let us down. No wonder he was trying to avoid me, because he knew he couldn't deliver. Even though his job is delivering things.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #494
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

It's not my fault! My Yabo didn't come with a converter so we couldn't play American games. So Instead we played DOOM3 on teh Xbox where I slayed many zombies to the amazement of Joe and Joe.
Joe Redifer will review Gunsmoke next week as we will still play this damn game! Why didn't we just use JoeGs Nintendo?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:33 AM   #495
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Sega Genesis Nomad
7/10
Game System Review

Notice how crooked the d-pad is on the unit pictured
on the box. Who the hell took that pic?

The Sega Nomad was designed by Sega to be kind of similar to the Genesis as it seems to play similar games for some reason. It has a built-in 6 button controller, a second controller port for player two (I'd love to see multiple people huddled around the screen trying to play Street Fighter 2 or Gauntlet 4). It even has a stereo A/V out jack so you can hook it up to a TV. To top things off, it has a headphone jack. That is all I have to say about the Nomad. Wait, I guess there's a bit more. Let's see...

Phantasy Star 2 on the Sega Nomad! Teh amazing! Great games can be played!

The Nomad is a bit larger than a typical brick in every direction and feels about the same as holding a brick. The MODE and START buttons are tucked way down near the bottom and aren't easily accessible during a frantic game orgy-fest. The buttons don't feel quite as nice as the official Sega 6-button controller due to the weird oval shape, but they work fine. The volume knob adjusts either the built-in speaker or the headphones. Isn't it crazy that technology allows this? Seems like only yesterday when a light itself was considered high-tech. Also, the Nomad can be used a blunt weapon that can kill people on minimal impact due to it's sheer size.

If you play Castlevania Bloodlines and punch in the Konami code
on level 3-9 on Expert, you can play two stages from Symphony of
the Night! This ONLY works on the Nomad!

Graphics: 7/10
The Nomad's screen is kind of blurry and lacks contrast. It is about the same size as one of the screens on the Nintendo DS, but nowhere near as bright or as clear, despite having a higher resolution than the DS (320x224 for the Nomad vs 256x192 for each DS screen). There is a brightness knob that adjusts if you are viewing the screen at an angle (move more than a couple of inches in any direction, and the brightness appears to change drastically). The scrolling can be pretty blurry, but it's not as bad as the Game Gear. All text is readable, so playing text-intensive games like Phantasy Star 2 or Altered Beast is definitely not a problem.

Since the Nomad is a Genesis, obviously the 32X can be used without issue!
Play all several of the available 32X games!

Sound: 7/10
The Nomad's built-in speaker is OK for the task I suppose, but there is no built-in subwoofer or Dolby Digital Surround EX, which I fail to understand why. Slap on a pair of headphones or run a stereo A/V cable to a stereo system and the sound improves greatly. It sounds almost like a real Genesis. CrAzY! If you are listening to the built-in speaker, both the left and right channels can be heard, albeit in mono. This is a breath of fresh air since the original Genesis would only let you hear the right channel through it's RF and AV outputs. You had to use the headphone jack to hear stereo. I called renowned movie score composer John Williams and he said he approves of the Nomad being in stereo. He then tried to engage in phone-sex, but I hung up on him because he refused to pay my standard $3.99 a minute rate.

The Power Base Converter doesn't quite fit into the Nomad's
cartridge slot. No problem, just plug it into the 32X's slot
and play some Sega Master System games all night long!

Gameplay: 8/10
The Nomad plays games that are extremely similar to the ones that are available for the popular Sega Genesis. And it plays them all pretty well. It has an extremely large library of great games to choose from. The machine is pretty bulky so you may get tired after awhile of playing some great Sega? brand games. Being able to play the system by hooking it up to a TV is a giant plus, and the video quality is just as good as the best Genesis console system. You can even hook it up and play it on an RGB monitor without modification, a first for any portable. There is an external battery pack in which you must insert 9,000 AA batteries (or maybe it is 6. I can't remember. It's a whole lot, either way) and that clips to the back of the unit. The Nomad can last for about 4-10 hours depending on if you bought Duracell or Eveready. It also comes with an AC Adapter so you can steal electricity from the wall and play for all eternity. I called Yuzo Koshiro and he says he enjoys playing the Nomad for 5 minutes once every 3 or so years. If it's good enough for Yuzo, it's good enough for YOU!

Since the Power Base Converter works with the 3D glasses, and the Nomad has a
controller port where you can plug in the Light Phaser, you can have what
EVERY gamer on the planet dreams about... PORTABLE Missile Defense 3D!!!!!

The Nomad makes a pretty good portable Genesis despite it's bulk, slightly fuzzy screen and not-exactly-everlasting battery life. And despite the photos above, it does not work with the 32X or Sega Master System games. Only Genesis games. It does not have a Z80 processor so the SMS compatibility is impossible and it doesn't work with some old Electronic Arts games and a few other Genesis games as a direct result of the missing Z80. The sound is handled through another processor instead of directly by a Z80.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-18-2005 at 05:48 AM.