The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-05-2005, 05:21 AM   #466
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Do you use dialup, Icarus?

Acording to Admin it is a database error. As for the reviews I usually write them in BBEdit (text program for the Mac) but never Microsoft Word because it adds its own little crappiness. I then paste the text into a new post and PREVIEW it, making sure to correct any typos and make last minute changes to the original text. Then I copy the updated text and submit. Rarely do I have to edit a review. My goal is to not have to edit them. It's a long process but I think it is worth it. It also gives you more time to compose your review, even though most of mine are written in 15 minutes or less. I should take a bit longer.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:30 AM   #467
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I have a cable modem.

Generally, it takes me around 2 hours to complete a review. I'm a spellcheck whore, but since it takes me awhile to figure out what is best to say, I am also anxious to produce it ASAP, hence why you can spot all of those 'Last edited by Icarus4578 at...' messages all over the place. For example, yesterday, I ran up a search to find misspelled words in my thread--'surprise'--and came across 15 instances where I had spelled it as 'suprise,' which is ridiculous, and fixed them up. Also, from time to time I read my own reviews and see if perhaps I could've said something better than I did, or even remove something which doesn't contribute much to the review.

In your case, you're just flowing, saying what's on your mind, at least that's the impression I get from a lot of your material. It's a plus that you can add some stylistic humor to your material because that really reinforces the fact that it's a personal review and not just a shallow collage of facts/opinions about the game with no trace of personality. That's one thing I really admire about your material. It's also great that guys like Nem, gearhound and the rest contribute their own offerings to these forums. I cannot take credit for this sudden outpouring of reviews just because I was the first to start up a personal reviews thread; people have been doing reviews online for far longer than I have.

EDIT: Just corrected the word 'hence' from 'hecne,' which was just by mistake anyway.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-05-2005 at 05:42 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #468
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Oops. Looks like the forum bug hit you again. I am seeing deleted posts scattered about by tons of users lately. "Here we go again". But this is my thread and I clean them up!

The Segata review was actually written over two days since there were so many minigames to describe. A lot of my time is spent doing video capture, resizing and saving as JPEG, scanning the box art, etc.... the ASSthetics. You started the first review. Then I started the second (I think... not sure. Actually I have no idea). When I first saw your thread I was about ready to respond with my review (I was still on the first page when I thought this) and then I finally got the gist that it was your thread, so I didna post. I should have just taken it over.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #469
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

It's funny that you should mention that because at one point I had thought that everybody was planning on putting all of their reviews into my thread, which would've been ...odd, considering the title of the thread itself. But that whole incident just made it all the more amusing. What we've got here on MagicBox is a rarity and, I'm sure, there are at least a few people who come by and check out our reviews because they're so smack dope.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #470
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
personal review and not just a shallow collage of facts/opinions about the game with no trace of personality
you are talking about my reivews am I right?

either way I still like you. ;)
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #471
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Generally, it takes me around 2 hours to complete a review. I'm a spellcheck whore,
Same here. Probably 90% of my posts are edited cause i spellcheck every time i spot a mistake. Its still inevitable that stuff passes me by. In my reviews section i have been trying to improve on that with my latest reviews.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #472
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Paper exe ~ "you are talking about my reivews am I right?

either way I still like you. ;) "

Uuuh, no, I wasn't saying anything about you. ....There's no need to be paranoid, Paper. I have nothing against ya. :cool guy:

Nem ~ "Same here. Probably 90% of my posts are edited cause i spellcheck every time i spot a mistake. Its still inevitable that stuff passes me by. In my reviews section i have been trying to improve on that with my latest reviews."

Yeah, it's amazing how things pass you by during the first spellcheck. People like to proofread backwards (up from the bottom), but I can't stand doing it that way.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 AM   #473
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

dont rely on spell check on your computer, do it manually. i refuse to use spell check anymore because the last time i used it it changed the spelling of many words in my paper for class and i didnt notice and turned it in. lets say the teacher marked me down horribly.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #474
Paper exe
Pwnd

I speaned 4 hours to make one reivew(off course I am talking about my new reivews)
-1 hour typeing
-half hour playing the game to make sure that I did not miss anything.
-1 hour forgeting about the reivew instead play the game.
-1 hour check for mistakes or parts that I forgot to put and edit my post off course because I mostly find alot of mistakes.
-half hour checking everything again and adding stuff.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #475
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Hey Joe, if you've got it, please review Darius Gaiden for Saturn. I was playing it the other day and it's still just as fun as the first time.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #476
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Of course I have it. Krose your eyes krose your head!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #477
gearhound
Versus the World

darius gaiden kicks much ass. i love the music in the game as well.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #478
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

The lyrics are, "Lost on eyes, eyes.... Lost on head, head...." Fruitastic.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #479
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The lyrics clearly say (as clear as a Japanese woman can say, anyway) "Close your", not Lost on.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #480
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

It sure as hell doesn't sound that way to me.