Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #376
gearhound
Versus the World

"go hitler, go hitler, go hitler"

Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #377
Reko8
meow

Review Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis...best tactical rpg game like thing in the world

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #378
Joe Redifer
Olé!

WarioWare Touched!
8/10
Nintendo DS

Wario is ultra-lame, but this game is pretty nice.

Sound the alarms and launch the fireworks, another game for the Nintendo DS has finally come out! And what is even more surprising is that it is worth buying. I am a bit disappointed in the price, however. It should have been $29.99, but it was $34.99 instead. Feel the Magic was $29. But some DS games are $39! I went into the store hoping it would be $29, and I would definitely not have purchased it if it were $39. Nintendo must of known this, so they compromised and priced it right in the middle, but still I was not happy. The only portable videogame that I will pay $40 for will be Castlevania, if it ends up costing that much. But if Nintendo slowly creeps up the prices of their DS games, then I will happily use my DS as a target for my 9mm. Screw 'em.

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics are adequate for a portable system. There is a bit of 3D when the map is shown and the cursor automatically travels it (and the cursor always seems to get lost which necessitates backtracking). But the in-game graphics range from poor to good. There is a 3D DS in the game that you can rotate, and it looks really, really good. There are also digitized graphics of an NES pad, a Hori pad, and whatnot. But mostly the graphics are pretty simple, and that was obviously the intention. I am getting really sick of having to worry about 2 screens at the same time, though.

Spin like a bastard and let go to toss.

Sound: 7/10
This game sounds ever so slightly better than the GameBoy Advance version, which sounded pretty good considering the hardware it was on. It is definitely not as, ummm, unique as Feel the Magic. The digitized sounds are pretty scratchy (particularly Ashley's song) but get the job done. The stereo effect is pretty cool and I can't get over how good the stereo sounds on this li'l portable system. The music is barely adequate, with only one memorable tune (Ashley's song) and the rest is just your standard GBA fare. Disappointing, especially considering the DS's sound capabilities.

Blow your cigarette smoke into her giant ear.

Gameplay: 7/10
This game is much better than the GBA version. The way it is set up and played is much more efficient as well. I cannot compare it to the Gamecube Nintendo version as I have not played that one. But this game suffers from the same flaw as the original Wario Ware did... and that's how you go into a microgame not having an iota of what you're supposed to do or how to do it. Sadly, this is the only way that the game offers a challenge. Your cluelessness translates into the game's difficulty, but it is still kind of fun when you franticly try to figure out what the hell to do. The use of the touch screen is really good, but I am so busy concentrating on the bottom screen that I don't notice the top screen, and you are forced to pay attention to the top screen sometimes (randomly) as well. This really sucks when you have to blow on your DS, because you must get your face right next to the microphone and it is hard to see the top screen at that angle. I am not a big fan of two screens anymore. I am also getting weary of shouting and blowing into my DS (this game only supports blowing, no shouting). At least not the way Nintendo is utilizing them. Seemed OK in Feel the Magic. It would be fun to watch a smoker play the blowing scenes, though. They would cough and wheeze and probably pass out while everyone else would point and laugh! There are lots of "toys" to unlock, and many of them do nothing fun or useful (one of them is a calculator, another is a flashlight that you wave around for no reason). Some toys are games which have goals which will unlock more toys. Another toy is a parrot which listens to you and repeats what you say. You can also unlock Monster Megamix and Hardcore Megamix, both of which are pretty easy and you can earn more toys by playing through them and playing through the other characters again and again.

Wrap up:
This game must not be very popular since I haven't seen anybody on this forum talk about it since it was released 2 days ago. Regardless, it is absolutely worth picking up. Good use of the touch screen and lack of immense difficulty makes it enjoyable to children and those with micro-sized attention spans like me.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 08-13-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #379
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I think my favorite mini game is the one where 2 dudes, naked from the waist up, are standing starring at each other holding what appears to be a rubber band in their mouths. You must tickle the one that puts his arms up. It's so uber gay looking..................................not that I have a problem with gay.......................and actually that isn't my favorite mini game.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #380
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You're right. Your favorite minigame is the one where you have to strip the guy.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #381
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Hey Joe, how's your DS screen holding out? Is it scratched to hell or is everything still A-Okay?
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM   #382
gearhound
Versus the World

the entire game looks gay
Old 02-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #383
Joe Redifer
Olé!

LOL!

Icarus - The bottom screen looks more scuffed than the pristine top screen if you hold it at an angle against the light while it is powered off. If you look directly at it, you can't tell the difference. If the power is on and you look at both screens, then the bottom one seems to have a sort of "nastiness layer" over it, but Nintendo had to put that there because it is a touch screen.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #384
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Did the game in which the urinating little boy who is being hanged has to put out the fire with said urine make it to the American version?

Also, I find it hard to believe that you unlocked everything in the game in less than an hour and a half. While not saying it's impossible, (especially for you; I've read of some of your other feats) I think that "flowering" every minigame in the training center (or whatever it's called) probably takes around an hour or two by itself. I could be wrong, I only played the game for a few minutes at a time, so it took me a while to finish it, thus impairing my judgement of the time actually spent on it.

I think I'll give the translated version a rent, 'cause I'd be interested if there were new minigames and I'd like to know what story the old lady tells you.

Great review!
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #385
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Oh I'm sure that there are still a few items here and there for me to unlock. I have most toys and all minigames unlocked, though. The urinating little boy is now a urinating statue. His pee is blue drops.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #386
gearhound
Versus the World

i don't think you are supposed to use your finger on the touch screen. isn't that what the little black cloth attatchment is for?
Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #387
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Who uses their finger?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:52 PM   #388
gearhound
Versus the World

i dont know... i was responding to someone talking about smudge or scrathes so i assumed that particualr person used his/her finger.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:42 PM   #389
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I remember PaperExe saying he uses his fingures on the touch screen. One way I like to see how much abuse a screen can take is going to Target or Best Buy. They only game screen that I have seen that takes awesome abuse is GBSP, DS did not last for very long after it was installed.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Yahweh14518 Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 AM   #390
Paper exe
Pwnd

I use my fingers
what is it wrong?
I even use my neels so that I can move faster :bigsmile:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote