The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #346
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariX
Ever play San Fransisco Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast? That game rocks and goes for a decent amount on ebay. It was Atari Games first game for Midway, but Midway changed all the secret gold coins and replaced the ultra cool Atari "Fuji" /|\ logo with the Midway logo....ugh.
Yeah, that game is still one of my fav racing games of all times, right behind Daytona USA. I wasn't aware Atari Games made that one but regardless of who did make it. It, indeed rocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicviper
Didn't Midway make Smash TV? That was a good game.
They might have, or at least maybe published it because I believe that Total Carnage sorta spawned from STV but I don't think, although I may be wrong, Midway started "developing" games until the 90's. Who truly developed "Spy Hunter"? I've always wondered since it was a all-time favorite of mine but I've seen several names on it over the years... Sega, Bally, Midway, Sunsoft, etc. Any of you know? If Midway made that game then theres another to add to my "Midway good games list"
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #347
dog$
RS Cokehead Police

I'm not sure on the specifics of Spy Hunter, but I think that was Midway made... on the Midway Arcade Treasures 1 disc there's some interviews, if I remember to I'll watch them again. Sunsoft's involvement with Spy Hunter is only that they had NES distribution rights to the game.
Smash TV and Total Carnage were definitely made by Midway staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
That Shockwave version requires some other plug-in that I do not have nor care to get. I do have the MAME version, though. And it was made by Williams, not Midway, so my comment still stands that Midway is an extremely crappy company by all accounts and has never, ever made a good game, nor will they ever because they only hire losers and make crappy games. Their headquarters should be set on fire and all of their employees and families and friends and even acquaintences should all die. OK maybe that last statement was a little overboard... the acquaintences can live.
None of this tells me why you think Robotron 2084 is a bad game.

So, for the third time, what makes Robotron 2084 a bad game.

Comparing it to any other game doesn't justify your case.
dog$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:30 AM   #348
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Both Robotron and Smash TV were made by Williams. I don't care if some of the same guys worked on it that were involved with Midway somehow, it is still a Williams-developed game. My whole point about Robotron was that Midway has never made a good game, and now that it has been established that Williams is responsible, I do not need to worry about my opinions on Robotron anymore. I did play it a bit and it reminded me of Centipede with more freedom of movement. Speaking of movements, I had a bowel movement after playing the game.

None of the games NES4EVAH listed on the previous page were enjoyable in any way for me. I could not stand Mortal Kombat. It looked and played like total ass, even back in the day it looked horrible. I have always hated digitized sprites. So Midway has never been able to make a game that entertains me, nor will they ever, I'm sure.

EDIT: The closest Midway has come to a good game is Ms. Pac-Man. I enjoyed that. However they just took the original Namco-programmed Pac-Man and dressed it up. It's like saying you really like "Sympathy for the Devil" and giving Guns 'n Roses the credit, when the song was originally written by The Rolling Stones.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 01-24-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:33 AM   #349
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
I could not stand Mortal Kombat. It looked and played like total ass, even back in the day it looked horrible. I have always hated digitized sprites. So Midway has never been able to make a game that entertains me, nor will they ever, I'm sure.
Damn Joe, your tough on em
It's cool though, I wasn't trying to convince you Midway made good games, I just spouted a few out that I enjoyed playing. MK & every other fighting game to date, with exception of SC2 I can't stand playing as single player games. In that aspect I will agree MK sucked.

Maybe it was the times, or the hype of the fighting games back then but I loved playing SF's, MK's, Eternal Champions, Clay Fighters, TMNT TF, etc. back in the day. Kicking ass and getting it kicked was so much fun. I never thought they played like ass. There were heaps of knock-offs that did play like total ass that come to mind like Shaq-Fu and Tuff-E-Nuff etc. Anyway... on to another subject...

Was wondering if you could review Robotron X or Robotron 64 next?
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
Old 01-24-2005, 04:25 AM   #350
Joe Redifer
Olé!

What is Robotron X and Robotron 64? I assume the latter is a Nintendo 64 version. Is "X" the CDX version? Or perhaps an Xbox version?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 AM   #351
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
What is Robotron X and Robotron 64? I assume the latter is a Nintendo 64 version. Is "X" the CDX version? Or perhaps an Xbox version?
Robotron X was PS1 game and Robotron64 was N64, they were both developed by "Player1". N64 was published by Crave and PS1 was published by :kill: Midway. I have both games but have never even played them. I was just kidding on the requests though :bigsmile:
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #352
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Too bad. I'm reviewing it anyway!

Robotron 2084
4/10
Arcade

This game is not as good as Final Fantasy 7.

Recently I was having a discussion with an extremely good friend of mine when I stated the fact that Midway has never made a good game ever. My extremely good friend pointed out that Defender and Robotron 2084 were made by Midway. He even said that Robotron 2084 was one of the best games of all time! If it was one of the best games ever, then surely it could not have been made by Midway. I did some research and I was right! Both games are programmed by Williams Electronics. But I decided to give Robotron 2084 a few spins anyway.

These are the best graphics in the game. Fantastic for 1982!

Graphics: 4/10
Do NOT play this game if you are epileptic! This game was created when programmers discovered how to change a pixel's color, so everything in this game flashes and color-cycles. It looks very annoying and will give you a headache after not too long. Other than that the graphics are very simple as you can see by the screenshots provided here. The best graphics effect is when the stage starts, and everything assembles with a whole bunch of horizontal lines. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between the enemy and the moronic family that you are supposed to be defending.

Wander around a single screen and protect a dumbass family
from a ton of robots who are trying to kill them for NO REASON!

Sound: 5/10
Sounds like a 1982 arcade game. Which is to say that it sounds somewhat pleasant and typical for the time. Damn it! I think my microwave is on the blink. It seems to be overcooking food lately. I should probably get a new one. This pisses me off because now I can't enjoy my Swedish meatballs as much!

Coherent visual design was not a concern for the programmers.

Gameplay: 4/10
The game is played with dual joysticks. One to move and the other to shoot. You must protect the last human family from death as a bunch of robots try to murder them for some reason. Let me be the first to tell you that this family deserves to die. They wander around aimlessly as if nothing is happening. You've got a bunch of different robots to kill, and some of them can even take over a family member's body. The action is fast and frantic, very similar to Centipede in a way, only more boring and uglier. Due to all of the flashing colors, the game becomes a chore and disinteresting to play. But for the day I imagine it would keep the attention of a few kids. Personally I'd rather douche my ass-hole.

Wrap up:
Maximum strength Vagisil is a great way to block those nasty odors!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 01-25-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #353
dog$
RS Cokehead Police

Brilliantly written, man.

Let this review remind everyone that this man believes graphics can somehow affect gameplay. And that action can somehow be simultaneously fast, fentic(sic), and boring.

Really, good show. Bravo.
dog$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #354
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for catching that typo. Fixed!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #355
gearhound
Versus the World

don't you mean frantic, joe? funny review as always.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #356
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You are correct, sir. I usually pride myself on spelling and grammar, but sometimes I do mess up. FIXED!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:51 PM   #357
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
I do not need to worry about my opinions on Robotron anymore. I did play it a bit and it reminded me of Centipede with more freedom of movement.
I remember playing it also but always thought of it as "Berzerk" with more objective. I can see the comparison to Centipede now that you mention it though. It's almost a blend of the two as far as image/gameplay.

PSN ID - GIBBYVA

Last edited by NES4EVER; 01-25-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:28 AM   #358
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't think I've played "Berzerk". Is that another arcade of that era?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #359
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Here's Berzerk ~ http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/berzerk.shtml

I think this is the game where that smiley face chases you. I could be wrong.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #360
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Super Castlevania IV
9/10
Super Nintendo

This game was made back when Nintendo was still
extremely evil, much more so than EA is today.

The name of this game is f*cking stupid. Super Castlevania IV? Why "super"? Is there another "non-super" or "mediocre" version of Castlevania IV that we don't know about? Is it because it is on the Super Nintendo and it was the fad at the time to call every game "Super"? If that is the case, then why the "IV"? Retarded. It should either be called Super Castlevania or Castlevania IV, not both. I opt for the latter. Anyway when the Japanese version of this game came out awhile before the US version, a friend of mine and I rented it to see what it was all about. It didn't take long to see that this would be the best game ever made for the just-released-to-the-US Super Nintendo Entertainment System. And I was correct. There was never a game on the SNES that was better than this. All of you Chrono Trigger and Yoshi's Island fans can bite me. This is better. I couldn't believe how much quality the game possessed. It surpassed many Neo Geo games (which was not yet being falsely advertised as a 24-bit system at the time) and this was only an 8-meg cart! I was blown away.

This stage makes me need to take a leak.

Graphics: 8/10
This is a fantastic SNES visual package for the most part. True, the first level's drab orange colors look extremely bad and unfitting for a Castlevania game, some enemies look poorly drawn even and Simon himself looks like a mess of cluttered, ugly pixels. But other areas help make sure that this game stands out. You get up to 3 layers of independently scrolling backgrounds, lots of detail, really nice color, and some scaling and rotation as well as some "Mode 7" effects which curve the background wall behind you. Some of the graphical effects can bring the game to a crawl, but that doesn't happen often. I do like the giant stone boss who shrinks every time you hit it, as well as some of the really cool transparency effects on some of the enemies.

This is one of the biggest rooms inside the entire castle!

Sound: 9/10
By far the most outstanding feature of this game is the great soundtrack. It can be very upbeat and very somber. A fake orchestra is used to convey most of the music, as well as a bunch of cool synthesizer sound effects. The music isn't as unique or outstanding as the soundtrack for, say, Symphony of the Night, but it really goes well with the game and stood high above all other videogames at the time it was released. The sound effects themselves are fantastic as well, with great stereo effects. I really like it when you are hanging in the rotating room and the platform block start appearing one by one. The sound that accompanies is really cool, along with the creaky sound of the room slowly rotating. The sound when the red skeleton's fall apart sound like someone quickly falling down a set of stairs after they were pushed. Awesome!

It was nice of this semi-opaque skull to place
platforms for you to stand on while you kill him.

Gameplay: 9/10
This game is extremely easy and short. In fact it is, by far, the easiest Castlevania ever. I don't understand why they even bothered with the password feature. But it is still great fun to play. Games don't have to be hard to be enjoyable. Although the beloved "Iga" had nothing to do with this game, it still plays and especially controls very well. The gameplay is mostly memorization as opposed to actual skill. Sometimes the boss fights are nowhere even near the end of the level. That's right, it breaks the mold. I have read on the internet that this game is supposed to be a remake of sorts of the first Castlevania game. I don't really see it, though this game does star Simon Belmont and Dracula only ever rises once a century. But like I said I read it on the internet so it must be true. You've got your typical jumping around and collecting items just like the previous Castlevania games, though when you collect an item here the one that you already have goes away and you don't get a chance to switch back like the newer Castlevanias. That's where some proper memorization helps... you don't want to end up with the wrong weapon! This game is tons of fun to go through again and again.

The SNES does not enjoy processing this scene
as much as we enjoy looking at it.

Wrap up:
This is the 3rd best Castlevania game in existence (behind Symphony of the Night and Rhonda's Blood). Yes, that means that I think a Turbografx game is better than every SNES game ever made.