The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #1501
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I haven't reviewed that one yet. It is hard for me to review current generation games because of the sheer pain involved in capturing screenshots.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #1502
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Retro Game Challenge
8.2/10
Nintendo DS

Good luck finding this on the store shelves! Like most
DS games that aren't child-oriented, very few were made.

Retro Game Challenge is a new game for the DS in which a truly evil entity captures the player and forces them to beat challenges in old games for them. The plot reminds me of a video I made with a friend years ago where an evil person kidnapped some guy at a car wash and forced him to beat Ghouls 'n Ghosts for him because he couldn't do it himself, but I digress. You are planted back in the 80's with a Famicom and the kid version of the guy who kidnapped you and you are forced to play old 8-bit games and read GameFan magazines. Of course, your character doesn't complain. Who wouldn't like that? All of the games are made just for this game, so you won't find any of the classics simply dumped on here. This is 100% original stuff. They are a Galaga clone, a Star Soldier clone, an RC Grand Prix style clone, a Dragon Quest clone and a series called Haggleman which seems original to me except for part 3 which is kind of like a Ninja Gaiden clone. OK they are all clones, but they are original clones, dammit!

The main part of the game with you (left) and the kid version of the
guy who abducted you (right) engaging in a grammatically-incorrect
conversation about some new game that has been announced.

Graphics: 7/10
For the main setting there really isn't too much to talk about. There are polygon graphics of you and the other kid as well as his adult head, but that is about it. They are of average DS quality. The 8-bit games themselves do a good job at looking like 8-bit games for the most part with the exception of Haggleman 3 which looks a lot more like a cross between the Sega Master System and the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16. It is not something the NES could do. However these games do not flicker like they should. There is slowdown sometimes, though. Just play the final stage in Cosmic Gate and you'll see what I mean! Overall the game doesn't break any boundaries but it aptly achieves what it set out to accomplish, and that is good.

Most kids wouldn't play a game with a gay title like "Star Prince".
Well maybe they would if it were this cool. Maybe.

Sound: 7/10
In the main setting the music isn't that great and neither are the sounds. The music in the games themselves definitely sound like a cross between the NES and SMS. The music in the 8-bit games isn't as good as you remember from the real 8-bit era, but it is listenable for sure. What kind of upsets me is the kid next to you who watches you play all of these games. He looks like he is maybe 8 or 9 but sounds like he is 26 years old. And he is constantly muttering something or just plain whining. He'll yell "You missed it!" and I'm thinking 'What did I miss, asshole? Not a god damned thing, that's what. Now shut the fuck up!" He'll get excited when I use a simple attack command on the RPG game and exclaim "Oohh ooh oh MAN!" like I had just accomplished something amazing. At other times he'll just sit there and whine, saying things like "I'm hungry". There is no reason that this character needs to have a voice. It would have been better if he didn't have one.

The GameFan magazines in the game are indistinguishable from the
real life GameFan magazines. Actually, the layouts here are better
and don't rape your eyeballs or cause epileptic fits.

Gameplay: 8/10
The main part lets you select which game you want to play, chat with the other little whippersnapper who watches you play or read GameFan magazines which feature super in-depth articles. GameFan must have some big problems and conflicts in the editorial department because they change editor-in-chiefs almost every two issues it seems. These are real editors from real US mags, too. We have Dave Haverlson from the real GameFan magazine, Dan "Shoe" Hsu from EGM (known as Dan Sock here) and others. The 8-bit games themselves play as you would expect them, and they all have good control and a bunch of cheats. I like the racing game the least because you tend to bounce off of things and it takes forever to get going again. Haggleman 2 is also not one of my favorites due to the difficulty and that whole door thing. But none of the games are horrible and all are actually quite enjoyable to some extent. Each game will present to you four different challenges that can range from anything like "Beat Stage 1" to "Win a race without boosting". Most of the challenges are fairly easy, but don't think that this game is a cakewalk. You may have to try many times on some of the challenges. The RPG will requires quite a bit of time to get past its set of challenges, longer than you'd think. There are lots of little touches in the games such as bad Engrish and typos. I approve of this and I really think that you should, too. Let's get together and we'll dialog about it.

Here is the RPG, Gwadiar Qwest or something like that. Plays like Dragon Quest.
That's not really a compliment especially when Phantasy Star was light years better.

Wrap up:
The number of old-school references are large and it really adds to this game. You will enjoy it more if you grew up in this era and were excited about getting the new issues of the magazines back then and whatnot. If your first system was the Playstation or Playstation 2, then this game won't have as much of an effect on you unless you really dig the old-school. The 8-bit games are still great on their own and each can be unlocked for "free play" after you beat their respective challenges so that you can play them any time you want. A worthy purchase and it even alludes to the next game having a 16-bit premise. These games are based more on the NES library of games and I'm sure the sequel will be SNES-based. I sure hope that future sequels allow SMS-style games and Genesis/Mega Drive/PC Engine, etc style games as well. There were great games on the NES and SNES, but there far more good games on other systems than on just the Nintendo line.

This is Haggleman 3, a VERY ambitious platformer, but with only 4 levels.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #1503
Seraph
>:3

I grew up during the NES-SNES era but I wasn't really into game magazines outside of Nintendo Power, so I imagine a lot of the refrences would be lost on me.

What does the 2nd screen do while your playing the games?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #1504
murray
<insert witty motto>

It shows the two lads sitting in front of the TV, you can flip back to it and check out the magazines for cheats etc.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #1505
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I couldn't find a way to look at the mags while I had a game going. It was either RESET or POWER OFF only.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #1506
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good review of a quality game. I really hope part 2 makes it out over here.
You can look at magazines while inside a game or challenge. I've done it.

So, I'm still leveling up in the final Guadia Quest challenge and trying to get through the dungeon. I'm wondering after I unlock this game in free play if I will be able to keep my characters at whatever level I have them when I finish the challenge or will I have to start from scratch? Anyone know?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #1507
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The game will let you know. It will tell you.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #1508
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

I approve of this and I really think that you should to. Ah, looks better now!

Great review though! I can't wait to finally play this game (getting it next week).

Last edited by eastx; 03-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #1509
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Although I have a review for Punch-Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (why the hell do they use so many damn exclamation points? Seriously, WTF?) for the Wii already written up and ready to go, I probably will not be posting many more game reviews in this thread. The reason is because it has just become too much of a pain to move the game console into a different room to capture game screens. I cannot capture component analog video, either, so I am limited to composite for most systems or s-video at best. Systems like the PS3 require being reset in order to even output SD video so I can capture. I am not going to buy a $500+ card to do so, either. Even if I could capture, moving the current-gen systems is a HUGE pain.

I may post the occasional movie review thread here, though.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #1510
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Well good things can't last forever I guess.

Your reviews man, do it cuz you love it not cuz you have to.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #1511
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

100+ pages....Hell of a ride!
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #1512
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think I will try and get pics for Punch-Out!!!!! since I already wrote the review. I really don't want to stop. Maybe I will just review older games where the shots can be grabbed with an emulator. Quite the conundrum for my lazy self.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #1513
Seraph
>:3

You could always revert back to stealing stock photos like we used to. The most important part is the review, not the images.

I'd like you to keep doing them. I enjoy reading them <3

I actually gotta get back in gear here myself. I have like 4 reviews already written, I just need to capture the footage.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #1514
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I just noticed Retro Game Challenge is the only game with a decimal point on it from all your reviews, Joe.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #1515
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Actually I've been doing that more lately. A few older reviews have been updated with incremental scores like that. Certainly some are worth more than a 7, but not quite an 8, etc.