The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
Rubeus

Diablo 2 Producer: 'Blizzard Doesn't Understand Gamers Anymore'

Click for full size

Quote:
Diablo 2 Producer: 'Blizzard Doesn't Understand Gamers Anymore'

Mark Kern says the Diablo: Immortal reveal was "a huge bait-n-switch feeling moment."

Ex-Blizzard employee Mark Kern, who worked as a producer on Diablo 2, has blamed the publisher for the Diablo: Immortal backlash.

In a lengthy Twitter thread, the developer said: "I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore."

Kern's point is centred around how Blizzard teased and revealed the game, rather than the form of the game itself:

"There is nothing wrong with having a mobile version of Diablo. In fact, I would have wanted one as an option", he explained. "But the way it was hinted at, and presented, and the failure of Blizzard management to predict the backlash caught me my surprise. Blizzard used to be really gamer driven".

Kern asserts that by teasing a Diablo announcement – even if we knew that it wasn't Diablo 4 in advance – it created an expectation for existing PC players that they would see a PC product, leading to "a huge bait-n-switch feeling moment."

He adds that, in his time at the company, Blizzard would have predicted this kind of response in advance: "Blizzard never used to have to ask, because it was made up of hard core gamers from top to bottom [...] I would have had a line of devs outside my door telling me [the Immortal reveal] was a bad move."

Diablo: Immortal is a massively multiplayer mobile spin-off for the series, being developed in partnership with NetEase.

Its announcement was met with a fan backlash, garnering an unfavourable like/dislike ration for its trailer on YouTube, questions as to whether it was a reskin of a previous NetEase game, and even a question at the Blizzcon Diablo panel asking if Immortal was “an out-of-season April Fool’s joke.”

Blizzard's Mark Cheng has since responded, saying that he doesn't "think mobile should be a dirty word”.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/11/...gamers-anymore
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 AM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

I watched the Diablo Immortal reveal because it became a meme in a very short time and it was laughable how they thought people was going to be excited after revealing a mobile game for people that they hyped up days before the conference, that was expecting a proper sequel after a not so good one or at least a remaster of previous ones.

And they get this, the guys at the stage didn't know what to do with the instant and overwhelming backlash fans threw at them as rocks. I have to agree Kern that this was a poorly chosen moment to announce it.

A game in mobile shouldn't be a bad word it's understandable but it got a few things to be considered on why it can be disgusting is because it's a mobile game handled by a chinese company that puts millions of microtransactions in their games, Immortal is looking like a reskining of one of their existing games and is under Activision, so yeah, expect those microtransactions to be a huge part of the game.

I got a laught because Diablo fans didn't turn out to be sheeps on this whole show.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

Blizzard communities can be pretty revolting and toxic, but they were right this time. Blizzard took players for granted and are paying for it.

They need to announce Diablo 4 or just cancel the wretched mobile game.

Honestly i just wish these companies were honest. Mobile games are not aimed at hardcore gamers. Stop announcing them at hardcore gamer conventions.

Announce it on a mobile phone convention you tits. How dumb can you be to come to hardcore gamers faces and tell them you are making a game that isn't for them? I know you just want to trick average joe from his money, but don't insult the rest of us. Geez...
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Rubeus

They are not going to cancel Immortal after spending millions on it.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Of course they're not going to cancel it.

It's a game for investors wich are more important than gamers.

Please people use your common sense.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Yeah i know they won't, but they should if they really cared... wich they don't. They care about fooling people out of their money by any means possible (gambling if necessary), not exactly making good games people want.