The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #61
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Personally I hope that only one either Microsoft or Sony does this and one doesn't so we can see which gets the better surport and sells in the end. That'll be interesting.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #62
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
But always remember, the only way for their to be a sale on used game is if there is a sale on it being brand new.

So if some developers like silicon knights is bitching about it, they have to remember, to have a lost sale to used sales would have to mean they had the sale brand new... which they never had

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/22053/too-human/
You keep referring to small developers with limited resources and relatively low budgets and sales but that is not the point. Just look at Capcom, Konami, Squeenix hell most of the Japanese gaming industry that have gone down the sinkhole this generation. It's no surprise they mostly develop for handhelds now simply because the costs are in relation to the amount of sales. The problem is not that small or unknown publishers aren't selling enough games the problem is that the entire middle segment of gaming(where most of the innovation and creativity resides) is disappearing simply because it can't compete with either assembly line blockbusters like COD or the low cost indie scene. For the blockbusters their profits are too low and for the indie scene their costs are too high. Its a lose-lose situation.

Another problem is the risk-averse mentality of most publishers these days. Take for example Demons Souls. Sony didn't want to publish it, reception of a demo at E3 was negatively met by the gaming press. But still Fromsoft continues with it not giving a shit and having faith in their product and it took an innovative publisher like Atlus to release it. And look what happened: from cult hit, to word of mouth success to a sequel met by rave reviews and even higher sales numbers.

That is just the kind of mentality that is sorely lacking. The courage to come up with new things and the entire gaming design process that isn't dictated by what is commercially attractive for the lowest common denominator.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #63
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroopwafel View Post
Another problem is the risk-mentality of most publishers these days. Take for example Demons Souls. Sony didn't want to publish it, reception of a demo at E3 was negatively met by the gaming press. But still Fromsoft continues with it not giving a shit and having faith in their product and it took an innovative publisher like Atlus to release it. And look what happened: from cult hit, to word of mouth success to a sequel met by rave reviews and even higher sales numbers.
That's nothing new though is it. There has always been plenty of games that other companies have passed on even when they have US branchs. That's goes all the way back to the beginning of gaming that's why companies like Atlus, Xseed exist in the first place.

More Japanese niche titles get released in America and even moreso in Europe now then ever before. It's better now then it was on the PS2 and Psone and even more so then say the Snes (how many games did I have to play with fan translations)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #64
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
That's nothing new though is it. There has always been plenty of games that other companies have passed on even when they have US branchs. That's goes all the way back to the beginning of gaming that's why companies like Atlus, Xseed exist in the first place.

More Japanese niche titles get released in America and even moreso in Europe now then ever before. It's better now then it was on the PS2 and Psone and even more so then say the Snes (how many games did I have to play with fan translations)
This is quite true. Good job, Esca.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:

I would argue that this is actually reversing, what with games like Miles Edgeworth 2 not coming over.

Quote:
The problem is not that small or unknown publishers aren't selling enough games the problem is that the entire middle segment of gaming(where most of the innovation and creativity resides) is disappearing simply because it can't compete with either assembly line blockbusters like COD or the low cost indie scene. For the blockbusters their profits are too low and for the indie scene their costs are too high. Its a lose-lose situation.

That is just the kind of mentality that is sorely lacking. The courage to come up with new things and the entire gaming design process that isn't dictated by what is commercially attractive for the lowest common denominator.
Agree completely.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #66
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I would argue that this is actually reversing, what with games like Miles Edgeworth 2 not coming over.
Maybe because no one brought the first perhaps, just a thought. The fact that games like Pheonix Wright were released in the first place is a pretty good step in the right direction to be honest.

But yeah there are few on the handhelds because the sells are poor that partly why companies like XSeed are gonna start releasing them as digital only titles. Things like Corpse Party, Sumonai, Unchained Blades, Class Of Heroes 2 and 3 can be released when before they would never have had a chance. Good times indeed.

I honestly can't think of anything that's been released on the PS3/XB360 that I really want to play that hasn't been brought over.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #67
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Maybe because no one brought the first perhaps, just a thought.
Um....it was brought over. I own it.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #68
Drunken Savior

Yeah I have the first one as well. Perhaps you meant it sold poorly?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #69
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
You keep referring to small developers with limited resources and relatively low budgets and sales but that is not the point. Just look at Capcom, Konami, Squeenix hell most of the Japanese gaming industry that have gone down the sinkhole this generation. It's no surprise they mostly develop for handhelds now simply because the costs are in relation to the amount of sales. The problem is not that small or unknown publishers aren't selling enough games the problem is that the entire middle segment of gaming(where most of the innovation and creativity resides) is disappearing simply because it can't compete with either assembly line blockbusters like COD or the low cost indie scene. For the blockbusters their profits are too low and for the indie scene their costs are too high. Its a lose-lose situation.

Another problem is the risk-averse mentality of most publishers these days. Take for example Demons Souls. Sony didn't want to publish it, reception of a demo at E3 was negatively met by the gaming press. But still Fromsoft continues with it not giving a shit and having faith in their product and it took an innovative publisher like Atlus to release it. And look what happened: from cult hit, to word of mouth success to a sequel met by rave reviews and even higher sales numbers.

Actually, my point was he's the one bitching about it But for there to be a used market, your game actually has to sell for it first. But even then, they are all still assuming that everyone is trading in these games and buying them use, I say people aren't trading in shit games but DESTROYING THEM IN MICROWAVESSSSS!

I think the game industry should be against Microwaves. They wreck more video games than save them.

But because you brought it up, small developers with limited budgets still make money and sales just fine. Look at Dungeon Defenders on steam, it's a game that has been pirated tons of times but they've still sold over 1 million copies since it came out last fall. It started with a very small team and Thatgamecompany made flower and journey and they are also of the fastest selling PSN games, they are a very small team of only 2 people who just know what they are doing.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #70
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Um....it was brought over. I own it.
Yes but it sold poorly. They took a risk with the first one and didn't pay off. If it had sold well they would have brought the second one over aswell. That's what I was saying.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #71
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
I say people aren't trading in shit games but DESTROYING THEM IN MICROWAVESSSSS!

I think the game industry should be against Microwaves. They wreck more video games than save them.
I know right. But that used to be easier with plastic cartridges, blu-ray discs are tough motherfuckers. I never really trade in videogames though. I had tons of videogames I never played anymore but they aren't worth shit if I trade them in. Just gave them away to some kid who I know whose parents are poor.

I hope that secured my place in the afterlife :p
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #72
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
DOWN WITH MICROWAVES! Did you know that if you put water in the microwave, let it cool and then gave it to a flower to water it, it will die within a week! Microwaves destroy most of the nutrients inside whatever it is you are putting in.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #73
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Microwaves destroy most of the nutrients inside whatever it is you are putting in.
...and that includes food, yuck.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #74
darren
... lol

Quote:
Microwaves destroy most of the nutrients inside whatever it is you are putting in.
That explains why alucards penis looks like it does
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #75
Alucard

You mean like something thats GROWN UNREALISTICLY HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGEEEEE
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote