The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #256
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Except hyperbole is all the industry is using to describe the issue in the first place.
Would you rather be above them than at their level, then?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #257
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Fight fire with fire, I guess.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #258
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
That wired article was pretty interesting. Very good read.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #259
Einhander

Thanks for ImgBurn Spider, it works great!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #260
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I find it laughable how people on an Internet forum feel themselves more knowledgeable of an Industry than the people who actually work in it... back in my day when someone who actually knew what they were on about tells you something, you'd say "Oh, okay." and think about it, and not "NO DEFINITELY WRONG!!!!!!111" just because it was something you didn't want to hear. The sheer ignorance of some people is astounding.

So Einhander is right, and developers who have openly come out against used games like Rockstar, Epic, Obsidian, Lionhead, Insomniac, THQ, and every publisher who puts in anti-used game features like EA and Capcom are all wrong.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #261
Einhander

It's not about being more "knowledgable".

It's about trying to stamp out used games because of greed. That has nothing to do with industry "knowledge".

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #262
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
developers who have openly come out against used games like Rockstar, THQ
links please I don't remember these big publishers saying anything and it hasn't been mentioned before.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #263
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well, it kind of does. You need to know stuff to talk about it. You clearly get by without that comfort but some of us like to take advice from someone who does have at least 1 brain cell which knows something about the topic at hand. I like to think the people at Rockstar and Epic do know at least 1 or 2 things about the Industry and I can actually take things they say as having an ounce of truth.

And there is no greed here from the Industry; they're earning money from their product and have every right to do so. Used games basically make it so that after about a week or so, definitely after a month, sales practically grind to a halt as people start buying used. Gamestop and stores price used slightly lower so people buy it, and even sometimes sell a used copy as new, I've seen horrid news stories about that. A 30 game, they'll get about 10 profit. A 25 used game, they'll get 25 profit. Guess which they'd rather sell to you? Of course they're perfectly in their right to sell used stuff, profiteering from someone else's product, but in the same regard we are in our right to profiteer from our own product, even moreso.

It was Epic who said DLC was a fight against used, and Rockstar did too when talking about their expansion pack to RDR. EA use online pass which is perfectly justifiable since it isn't free to sustain online services at all, and anyone who pays for XBL has no right to complain about online passes since it's EA doing exactly the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001
links please I don't remember these big publishers saying anything and it hasn't been mentioned before.
THQ: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...evelopers-thq/

Rockstar: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/r...ed-game-sales/

Ask and thou shalt receive

And I didn't know till now but so has Activision: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-on-pre-owned/
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #264
Einhander

THQ has, but I don't remember Rockstar saying anything.

They're mid-tier anyway though.

Edit - beaten.

Also, online passes are *not* justifiable in single player games.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #265
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Rockstar and THQ mid-tier? Lool. Maybe THQ but definitely not Rockstar. And even if they were, that's enough reason to completely disregard what they say? Because if so, I don't you're a high-tier videogame developer are you?

I edited in the Rockstar bit btw at above post, link is in there if you missed it. They said similar to what Epic said, DLC and stuff fights used sales.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #266
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I'm speaking as a consumer. All I can say is I wouldn't buy the new consoles if they implement one game per console and when I tell people who don't know about this stuff cause they aren't into video games like I am but like playing certain games, they all said the same thing without even thinking about it and said fuck that shit.

You can say that I'm doing this on PC. But I've only bought dirt cheap games on steam and plus gabe said he will make it if the service ever goes down that we can still play our games and Gog.com which lets me backup my games cause they don't have DRMs. I haven't used any other service but games for windows, cause the 2 games I bought on there were only 10 friggin cents! It was basically for freeee!

But all I see is High budgets and high paychecks and hiring too many people. maybe they should lower both of these and wait for some actual revenue before spending all of their money. This is one thing I know a lot about. Actually running businesses and knowing lots of people with businesses.

Every time I see people open up a new restaurant, it's always very expensive to open up to begin with, they spend over 750,000 dollars, give themselves big paychecks, put high prices on the food, made a HUGE seating arrangement, hired somebody to do every little thing that shouldn't need just one person to do when one person could do tons of other small jobs inside and with large seating arrangements also means too many waiters/waitresses.

They go under within a year most of the time.

This always drives me nutsssssssssssssss! FOR ONE MAIN REASON! Why do they keep opening up new places, renovating everything, buying everything brand new (when most people who are smart buy used equipment, it's like 60% cheaper in some cases!) yadda yadda yadda, when they could have just bought a existing place for a lot cheaper, like say 250,000 dollars, that is already established, has it's clientele and is bringing revenue.

I've seen too many restaurants go under for making these mistakes.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #267
Alucard

No trashing Obsidian is an average to poor developer. They've made more good games then half the high tier developers some of you list. Square has been shit since FF7.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #268
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well, digital distribution practically ends the used game market and that's obviously going to happen sooner or later as technology advances. Honestly, people will whine and miss it for a while when it goes but give it a month or so and people will be saying "What was the big deal?" when they sit down and continue playing amazing games they bought new. Maybe now people will have to buy quality rather than quantity, and wait for a price-drop rather than just getting a used game and saving about 5. Didn't know that was a bad thing tbh. If people just wait you can get amazing deals and it doesn't take as long as people reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
No trashing Obsidian is an average to poor developer. They've made more good games then half the high tier developers some of you list. Square has been shit since FF7.
I'd never trash them. Love Obsidian, or old Obsidian, not seen much great from them recently. But they were probably the most venomous about used games.

Quote:
"Of course, one of the greatest things about digital distribution is what it does to reduce the used game market. I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-in-the-heart/
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #269
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Dude, Obsidian's a developer, and thus whatever they think or have to say doesn't matter. Just read the last page or two of this thread for proof!
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #270
spider-prime

It might also practically end console gaming as well.