The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #1531
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Nindalf, I bet you wouldn't be saying that if there was a game with a Pink Floyd soundtrack.
If some game would just take a Pink Floyd album and use it as a soundtrack, it wouldn't be video game music. Some of the songs in GTA games are good, but no one calls them video game music.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #1532
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

What I meant was what if they were commissioned to do the soundtrack for a game, sort of similar to how Trent Reznor had been? As for GTA, yes and no -- it is technically a video game soundtrack, so you can call it that, but it's not considered "video game music."
Old 03-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #1533
Nindalf

The thing is that Pink Floyd, or any other band of their caliber(Well, especially Pink Floyd, since they're not a band anymore), would never do a video game soundtrack. They know they can make most money by themselves, or they would just take the money and make some crap and but their name on it. So either they wouldn't do it, or they'd half-ass it for a quick buck. They'd leave real stuff for their own albums. Most likely they wouldn't bother.

And that is stupid logic, anyway. Might as well say N'Sync could make a great album if they'd resurrect John Lennon and Freddie Mercury to help them. Yeah, they could, but it's not going to happen.

Nine Inch Nails suck anyway. Trent should only make video game music. That's where second grade artists like him belong.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #1534
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Calm down, it was just a what-if scenaro.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #1535
Nindalf

I am completely calm. I was just saying your "what-if" scenario was totally ridiculous.

And that Nine Inch Nails suck.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #1536
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

And that game music sucks.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #1537
Nindalf

Naturally.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #1538
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ok, you win. Happy now?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #1539
Nindalf

No. I'm always depressed.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #1540
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

You don't know was depression is until you've walked in my shoes.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1541
Nindalf

Having big shoes is no reason to be depressed.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 AM   #1542
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
So I take it you enjoy the soundtracks to games like Resident Evil?
The only RE game I played (and actually enjoyed - a bit) was RE4. The music was OK, nothing earth shattering - the way I like it. It was not intrusive (like e.g. Ratchet & Clank's musical bombardment). Ico's use of sound effects and music is minamalist... and perfect for my tastes.
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #1543
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Icarus Editorial #11 ~ Rip-offs

With the current drought of quality software, I began pondering what made me attracted to the new consoles in the first place. The X360's offerings thus far have been more-of-the-same and it looks as though the PS3 is just going to be a PS2 with better visuals. For those of you who'd bother to take a step back and look at what's being hyped as the "next big thing," you'll notice that it's always either sequels to games we've played a hundred times before or cheap imitations.

It seems that nowadays companies don't add much in terms of play mechanics and new ideas to their franchises. It took Capcom about a decade to radically change the play mechanics of Resident Evil with 4; past sequels would all play the same as the original (with a couple of slight adjustments -- some may call this FINE-TUNING). Mega Man has traditionally played the same albeit with small changes like the dash and charge shot. 2D Castlevania has played the same since SotN, and I don't even want to get into how sloppy the 3D installments are. I'm saying to myself, if this is how the big companies are doing business, what will happen with the next generation of consoles? We're getting a sneak preview with the X360. All of the games are either tired sequels or rehashes. Is Oblivion really such a good game that you'd pay $400 for the console?

And what of Nintendo? Is it really ok for them to rest on their laurels and use the DS to gain market share while the GC gets shut out? Makes no sense to me. I keep hearing them talk and talk and talk about how wonderful Zelda is going to be. Gee, that's really great. What about all the months inbetween? You see, I don't want to hear about how great something is -- I want to experience something great. The Revolution may very well be the console to offer me the kind of nuanced variety I've been starving for in home console gaming for such a long while. How long has it been since I've played a game as utterly incredible as Super Metroid? Or, more important, how long will it be until a company takes the time and skill necessary to create a work of art which grabs hold and doesn't let go? RE4 was good, very good, but not that good.

How do companies work these days? Do all the executives in charge of marketing and advertising huddle in a circle and discuss what's currently popular at the moment, and then try to imitate that formula? "Mark, we've come up with a new concept for your team. Ok, here's how it works: You're a soldier at war with all these guns at your disposal. You have to infiltrate the enemy compounds and kill the *insert archetypal enemy*. Now get to work." Do we really need 1,401 FPS? It has become like a disease. This is worse--far worse--than the fighting game craze of the '90's. I'm serious.

When third-parties aren't busy stealing and ripping off other companies, the first-parties are. Take Sony, for example. Somebody must've fallen head over heels for Nintendo's Rev controller because from all the reports I've been hearing they're intent on ripping it off. Sony's idea is to tack on an Eye-Toy-like thing to their PS3 controller, probably with some adjustments. Will they also rip-off the motion tilt/sensory function? You can bet on it. It probably won't be as intuitive as Nintendo's but the fact remains that Sony's R&D department consists entirely of people who try to rip-off every idea Nintendo decides to incorporate into their technology. Since Nintendo had announced that they would be offering a service for the Rev where people could purchase past titles, Sony had to follow suit. What does this all tell me? Sony has no good ideas of their own and they look up to Nintendo like a baby does to its mother and father.

Hey Sony, who's your daddy? Nintendo, of course.

It's too early for me to be talking about the software for the PS3 and Revolution, so I'll just sit back and wait for this year's E3 in May. Are you all excited about all of the "new" games that'll be shown? I can't wait to see what all of those past hits look like all dolled up on next generation hardware.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-23-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #1544
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
Are you all excited about all of the "new" games that'll be shown?
Not at all. If the Revolution (the only console I am... remotely interested in) = the same legacy titles + Revmote play then I will be dissapointed. Mario, Link, Samus, etc. have done their bit for gaming. It is time to move on. [If, on the other hand these IPs are designed from the ground up with Revmote in mind, I can't wait.] That is what a revolution represents. Talking of FPSs: The irony is that the Revolution will supposedly be "the" place for FPSs.
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:07 AM   #1545
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'll be excited when I see something exciting. I am not one of the legions who are pissing their pants with excitment over SpiderMan 3 for the Revolution. I bet a lot of previously apathetic people will start saying "Genesis roolz" just because its games can be played on the Revolution. I can't wait for those kids.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote