The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Reko8

Everquest II Thoughts

Hey guys, I'll be bored for vacation so I am going to play the Everquest II free trial for 7 days. Just wanna know everyones thought of this game was. I stayed away from it because it came out around WoW's time and I keep hearing not enough people play it so you cant get parties etc etc.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I played the trial. It was okay...not as fun as WoW or CoH... Nice character customization...interesting classes. I don't think you'll get hooked or anything.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Anthrax

eh, the EQ2 7 day trial sucks unless they changed it. I remember you could only stay in the noobie island. I played EQ2 when it first launched, got to lvl 50 (Defiler) in 3 months. Not bad considering I spent about 12 hours a week. My biggest problem with EQ2 is their class tree and character itemization. Look at any high lvl plate wearers.. most of them have the same gear! COBALT COBALT COBALT, unless you're in an uber guild and raid dragons. But not everyone have the time to spend countless hours taking down epic mobs. The classes arent as unique as I like them to be. Look at the pally, sk, bruiser, guard skills. They are pretty much the same with different name and spell effects. Now I did hear they were changing the game up a bit. Revamping classes into their own tree. I'll give it to EQ2 for having a beautiful engine. Otherwise the game mechanic does not deliver an EQ1 successor.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Reko8

Anthrax they did change the class trees because I heard they were faulty
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Anthrax

Thats good to hear!
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
Alucard

EQ2.... It basically reminded me why I will NEVER EVER play a Sony mmorpg again, or mainly Verant. The world is nice, and the game IS fun. But theres a huge problem. They really do their best to make your characters feel gimped, at least most classes that is, so you need to group up to kill stuff. Oh sure grouping is fine and all that, but theres some quests where you need to find a full team, and sometimes you spend days trying to. Also, they have a FUCKING ANNOYING tendancy to NERF classes. I remember playing my Scout thinking, lol so much fun. Then oneday I couldnt even killa fucking green conned creature. Totally killed the game for me.

They have this habit, in ALL their games, where if the game is working just fine, they go ahead and start breaking things so it takes you longer to do things, and therefore keeps you longer on the game to make you pay more. I'm sorry, but I pay if I enjoy. I dont pay just to say I made it to level 60 or whatever. Game pissed me off like no game before it did, aside from EQ1 which totally nerfed my character into nothingness. Theres better mmorpgs to join up. But its a good game. For a little. Just wish NORMAL people ran the game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
Seska
Slurp

My take on EQ2: Fun if you enjoy grouping, joining guilds, teamplay, more strategy in your battles. The skillcrafting system is pretty great and the graphics engine is very sweet too.

That being said, the game is fucking ugly. I'm sorry, but to quote Gabe from PA, all characters look like they have been modelled in Bryce or Poser, and it dont matter that hair on a Ratonga is decidedly fur-like if the general art design still sucks. WoW is MILES behind, technologically speaking, than EQ2, and it still manages to outclass it in sheer atmosphere and style.

Also, whoever thought up the "lets make two massive cities" concept needs to be shot in the head. It leaves the world empty and consisting of stupid "islands" filled with mobs for you to kill. Snore. One of the key elements of any MMORPG is exploration, seeing how far your feet can take you, pausing to rest at small villages and towns scattered about the world, maybe meetig a few other playrs along the way who also happen to be resting at some faraway in in a village at the end of the world.

No chance of that ever happening in EQ2.