The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 06-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Alucard

My beloved 80's shows

80's was the best time to be a kid. I'm not talking about your dodgy sitcoms and family orientated tv episodes. I'm talking mainly cartoons and some live action stuff. Oh sure I enjoyed Transformers, Belle and Sabastien, and He-Man and the like, some others like Thundercats, voltron, and GI Joe. But when I think back, theres only a handful of shows where my heart goes TWANG at. TWANG I tell you. This will obviously be brief. But oh so lovely for ME.

Quote:
Up first is one of my favourites G-Force. The show was excellent. It also had quite a few depressing stories in it. Written very well. It made me happy. Most happy.

Another favourite was definately Astro Boy. Lots of lovely depressing episodes and well fleshed out characters like the legendary Atlus, and also the AWESOME Australian robot who tried to protect the kids but went to fight during the storm, and to his doom.. NOT THE **** THEY WROTE FOR THE CURRENT PACK OF RETARDED KIDS WHO ACCEPTED SUCH TRASH! I recall this show fondly, and with much joyous joy.

Quote:
Mysterious Cities of Gold was also another favourite. Oh such adventure! Such wonder! It filled my young head with...with...ADVENTURE! And I loved those weird little reality bits at the end of each episode that tried to teach you something. Brilliant show.

Now one of my all time FAVOURITE shows EVER was Ulysses 31. This show had it all. Great stories. Great characters. And quite depressing stories! Very very awesome. Dont make me repeat myself. I hold this one as awesomely special

Quote:
This one isnt a cartoon. But still belongs in the legendary pile. Monkey Magic! You americans called it something different. Journey into the West/East or something. Brilliant series. Again, some depressing stories in it. Brilliant writing. I mean what kids show can you watch where the main hero yells out 'Come on you monstaaaah! You pooftaaaah!!'' Fucking CLASS is what it was.

Now a few old movies I remember and adore. Everyone should know Transformers the Movie so I wont list that. But I really enjoyed it, and Prime kicked arse!

First up is a real classic. Watership Down. Based off a great book, this depressing movie was about a bunch of rabbits getting owned. Soundtrack owned. Truly a classic.

Quote:
Another one was a film called Plague Dogs. This written by the same author as Watership Down. Not too many people knew of this one, which was a real shame because it was brilliant. It was about these dogs who..well..get owned aswell. Very awesome depressing film.

Heres one I'll be surprised if some of you remember. Wizards. Ok, so it was made in 77, but I want to add this in just because it has that early 80's style feel. Its set in a post-apocalyptic future, and be honest I'm not sure how many people would of liked it, so this is a personal preference of mine.

Quote:
Fire & Ice. Classic classic, bloody classic. I cant say classic enough. Awesome film.

The Last Unicorn. This was another excellent movie. And actually had some pretty scary moments, especially from the character voiced by Christopher Lee, who is a LEGEND.

I'm sure theres a few I dont recall at the moment. Maybe they'll come to me in time. These are all shows I can watch and rewatch and not get sick of them over time, unlike if I were to watch Star Blazers today, which I did a couple years ago and realized it actually WASNT as awesome as I remembered. It was beyond crap! This was my childhood tv entertainment. You can take your Evangelions, your Bleach, your Captain fucking Planets. I grew up with gold. Pure gold.

These are my memories. You may add yours. Also, if you havent seen most of the above, go kill yourself. Other option however is to find them, buy them, or download them. You watch them, and you bloody well do it now.

Signing off!

Last edited by Alucard; 06-24-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

"Man's best friend hunted by their greatest enemy" <----- Helicopters?
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Alucard

MAN you fool! Its man!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Nindalf

Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
justin_credible

Last edited by justin_credible; 06-24-2006 at 04:37 PM.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Soba
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
The Last Unicorn. This was another excellent movie. And actually had some pretty scary moments, especially from the character voiced by Christopher Lee, who is a LEGEND.
That old harpy thing with the big boobs was pretty scary.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Alucard

Bah. As if you've happily watch the stuff today Justin! They were enjoyable in the past, and should stay there!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Nindalf

Best movie of the 80s

Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
welshfreak
: )

Reading this thread I'm glad I didnt experience the 80s.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Alucard

Todays kids would go mental if they saw the stuff I grew up with. Too hardcore for their fragile minds. Watership Down would definately send them off to shoot up a school or something.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
justin_credible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Bah. As if you've happily watch the stuff today Justin! They were enjoyable in the past, and should stay there!
Say wha??????

I know they're in the past. This thread is about the 80's. You are not in the 80's as much as you wish you were Uncle Rico, the time traveling device only shocked your nuts sorry!

Besides, MacGyver is timeless
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
Alucard

My thread is about 80s shows that were so awesome they left an ever lasting imprint in your SOUL! Ones that can be watched again and again without twitching. MacGuyver and A Team dont actually compare to classics I mentioned! Damn kids!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
Nindalf

Watership Down is from the 70s.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Astro Boy = little boy running around in his underwear = pedophile's dream = Alucard is a pedophile. Of course most of Japan are pedophiles. Sick, sick country.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

hahaha captain N the game master!! That takes me back!

Small wonder... I hated that show. When it came on in I knew it was about dinner time and thats about it. Same with Alf... got on my nerves.
Of course the A-team...

This show pissed me off too. I hated how he had to block his face from bullets. Too much of an everyday joe to be any good.

haha who remembers this show? hahaha
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote