The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Rubeus

Kyoto Animation studio fire suspect named by police, confirmed 33 dead

Most popular works from Kyoto Animation includes Clannad, K-on, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

Click for full size

Suspect Shinji Aoba 青葉真司:

Quote:

Kyoto Animation studio fire suspect named by police

Witnesses say Shinji Aoba (青葉真司) claimed he started deadly blaze over plagiarisation dispute

Japanese police have named a 41-year-old man suspected of carrying out an arson attack on an animation studio that killed 33 people.

Witnesses said Shinji Aoba confessed to the massacre as he was arrested. He was allegedly overheard telling police he started the fire because the studio, Kyoto Animation, had copied his ideas and stolen his novel.

Were it not for the three-storey burnt-out building visible over the tops of the houses along the narrow backstreets of Rokujizo in the Fushimi Ward of Kyoto, it would be hard to believe the area was the scene of the biggest mass killing in Japan in living memory.

On Thursday, Aoba allegedly burst into the building carrying 40 litres of petrol and a bag full of hammers and knives and set fire it. In addition to the 33 studio staff who were killed in the blaze, 35 were injured.

There were firefighters at the scene but it took a further 10-15 minutes before more arrived with hoses, Keiyu said. “I wonder if they had been quicker more people could have been saved, but I think it was hard for them to drive down there.”

Under grey skies on Friday, a steady stream of mourners stopped to lay flowers. Others simply put their hands together and made long, silent bows in the direction of the building’s charred remains.

Shoumyou Oh, a 23-year-old from China, made the trip down on the bullet train from Tokyo, where he is studying Japanese, to pay his respects.

“Kyoto Animation’s productions are very popular in China – I have known them since I was in junior high school. They make anime and stories that touch your heart. This news was trending top yesterday on Weibo, the Chinese Twitter,” he said.

“I can’t understand why someone would do this. I want to hear the reason from the criminal.”

Shortly after, the police had named the man they have in custody in hospital as Aoba.

“He is badly burned on his hands, feet, chest and face; his hair has been burnt off. We are waiting for word from the doctors as to when we can question him,” Hiroyuki Sakai, the deputy chief of the local Fushimi police station told the Guardian.

Sakai confirmed 19 bodies had been found on the third floor and the staircase leading to the roof, with some piled on top of others, suggesting they were scrambling to escape.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ce-shinji-aoba

33 Confirmed Dead After Fire At Kyoto Animation, Suspected Arsonist In Custody

A fire, suspected to be arson, at a Kyoto, Japan animation studio has left at least 33 people dead and hospitalized more with injuries. A 41-year-old man, allegedly seen pouring a flammable liquid at the site and setting it on fire, has been taken into police custody.

The fire occurred at the Studio 1 building of Kyoto Animation, one of Japan’s most popular producers of anime. At around 10 a.m. JST Thursday morning, residents living near the studio heard the sound of an explosion and saw smoke emitting from the building, which is located in Kyoto’s Fushimi ward.

One witness said the suspect was screaming “Die” as he lit the fire. Another witness interviewed by the Asahi Shimbun said that she heard the suspect tell the police, in response to being asked why he allegedly started the fire: “They ripped me off.”A backpack and bag believed to belong to the man was found nearby. In it were several large knives and a hammer.

The man, 41-year-old Shinji Aoba, has reportedly never worked for Kyoto Animation nor is he directly connected to the company. He is currently in the hospital with serious burns. Aoba is quoted as saying, “I started the fire because my novel was stolen [by them].” This is similar to the remark he reportedly made saying he was ripped off.

Kyoto Animation, founded in 1981, is known for anime like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-On! and more recently, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid and Free!, among many others. While the building that was set on fire was its main animation studio, the company’s head office is in Uji City, Kyoto, which is about 20 minutes away by car.

The company’s co-founder and CEO Hideaki Hatta told reporters that for the past few years, death threats had often been sent to the company.

The grandfather of a 21-year-old woman who died in the fire told TBS News, “Since that kid loved drawing, her dream was anime... If I could’ve changed places with her, I would have wanted to.” She had recently been hired by Kyoto Animation. The grandfather added that he wanted to see his granddaughter’s face if only one more time.

In the aftermath of the event, fans have posting messages, expressing sorrow and offering condolences using a #prayforkyoani hashtag on Twitter.

https://kotaku.com/fire-at-kyoto-ani...sus-1836473998
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Guy is probably nuts and just saw a coincidence toward an anime that is similar to something he made, which does happen a lot, but people are so paranoid, he probably thought they stole it.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote