The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Alucard

Mark Rein definately went from awesome guy to cock guy

And by cock I mean he loves it. Specifically the MS kind. This is what I'm refering to...

Quote:
"People ask me, 'Are you going to do it on PC?'" he said. "Yeah, eventually...I don't think that's any great secret that we would like to do it on PC, but for now it's a 360 game. Eventually we'll get around to a PC version. I just don’t know when."

Rein then called a PC port of the game "inevitable," but noted that Epic will face challenges in ensuring that the quality of a game designed from the ground up for a specific console is maintained across a PC conversion. He added, "So it's just a matter of, now, can we make Gears run on enough PCs that it's worth selling...or do we have to wait in five years until everyone has a PC that can run it?"
See that last bit? Oh sure not every computer out there has 7900GT's etc, but I think he's forgotten that the UT3 engine, the one he created for the PC, is actually feature cut in the 360 version. So this begs the question..if you can feature cut it for the awesome NASA powered xbox360, why cant you put downscale options on the PC version like, oh, every single fucking game out there?

Theres two reasons why the PC version isnt made yet.

1) He's getting shitloads of money from MS and xbox whores because they adore a game thats exclusive and instantly lose interest if it aint.

2) PC gamers arent that hardcore on over the shoulder camera games, so likely not to sell as good.

It makes me wonder though.. Why doesnt his above statement apply to Unreal Tournament 3? Surely the PC cant handle that either, so why release it? Bloody spaz. Pretty sure my 2 year old PC could run Gears at full detail. It can handle blody Oblivion with better graphics and performance then the 360 version.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Decado

Yeah, you pretty much got it. It's exclusive because M$ wants it to be, no other reason. The whole M$ trying to strengthen the PC gaming industry thing is just more and more of a joke. They've effectively stopped putting resources into the platform, but have continued to suck them out.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Sad. I really dislike seeing not only the console industry turning the way it is, but the PC one too.

Someone simply needs to release a VC of some kind of PCs. Something that has a single default graphics standard but with the flexibility to allow games to run higher then that for PC's that allow it. Thats way it can run on the most computers, but still offer the customizing PC gamers demand.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
...Something that has a single default graphics standard but with the flexibility to allow games to run higher then that for PC's that allow it. Thats way it can run on the most computers, but still offer the customizing PC gamers demand.
Developers have been asking for this sort of thing for years now as a means of alleviating some hardware compatibility headaches and for attracting new gamers who are unsure of all PC specs and their effects. Microsoft has responded with mostly promises - but, to their credit, the idea of more stringently enforcing DirectX video-card compatibility by leaving fewer "optional" features is a step forward.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Its going to have to be done by someone other then M$ for sure. Heck, may even require a different OS. Truth is M$ loves where they are going with the Xbox. They have so much control of the the system, games, online players movies ect. In a couple of generations the PC industry could just die for gaming and M$ would probably help that happen cause they know their Xbox will take its place and thats something they command over. M$ has no real concerns about the life of the PC gamer because they can just hire all the PC developers to work on their console instead. As seen here.