The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Rubeus

Telltale Games shutting down after finishing TWD S4; Stranger Things and TWAU2 cancel

I thought they were doing really well on TWD and TWAU....

I guess Microsoft or Sony are probably considering "absorbing" this company with all the IPs?

Quote:
Telltale Games shutting down after finishing TWD S4; Stranger Things and TWAU2 cancelled

Telltale Games, creators of episodic adventure games like The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Batman: The Enemy Within, laid off a large number of its staff today. The company will retain a small team of around 25. According to multiple sources The Verge spoke with, employees were let go with no severance.

The final season of Telltale’s award-winning series, The Walking Dead, kicked off last month. The second episode is slated to launch next week. The Wolf Among Us 2 and Stranger Things Canceled.

The layoffs come a few months after revelations that Telltale was a studio mired in toxic management that included employees subjected to constant overwork. Once an industry darling, working on iconic brands like Game of Thrones and Minecraft, Telltale quickly spiraled. In June, co-founder and former CEO Kevin Bruner sued the company seeking recovery of financial damages. Telltale described the suit as “meritless” and “an apparent means of extracting revenge on a company already under financial strain.”

In a post on his personal site today titled “Telltale closure,” Bruner wrote that that he is saddened for the people who are losing their jobs at a studio they love. And I’m also saddened at the loss of a studio that green-lit crazy ideas that no one else would consider.”

This isn’t the first time Telltale has been subject to layoffs; last November the company laid off 90 employees, approximately 25 percent of its workforce. “The realities of the environment we face moving forward demand we evolve, as well, reorienting our organization with a focus on delivering fewer, better games with a smaller team,” CEO Pete Hawley said at the time.

Developing...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/1...e-walking-dead
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Disregarding the human aspect, it's not a big loss.

Their games were samey and often performed terribly.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Oh man, there must have been massive, massive executive failures for a company like Telltale to close. They barely updated their games past the first season of the Walking Dead and that was 6 years ago. Since then, they've had 11 games come out that really haven't changed the 'telltale formula' and, as I recall, the only time they updated their engine was for the first Batman game (2016) and it still felt as old, worn, and limiting as their old one.

But their games did have some really nice stories, even if they weren't all that interactive. Wolf Among Us, Borderlands, and Batman Season 2 were great...and Batman even has two different 5th chapters depending on your choices in Chapter 4.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Ernst

That’s a bit of a surprise. But they were lazy and their games were repetitious.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
That’s a bit of a surprise.
Which is why I suspect there's a good chance some publisher just outright buys them. I feel like there's way too much interest from people to continue some of their better games that someone with money (and better management skills) might see this as an opportunity.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Surely must have been because of how easy and fast it's to get those achievements and trophies in their games, can't let those players take advantage of these cheap games in order to get those credits.

That's why those bastards deserved to get closed down and get buried deep down until everyone forgets about them.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

This one came as a surprise. I enjoy there stories and it's a real shame TWD won't finish since it was the last season. Hey at least it feels like a real TV series now with no ending.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote