The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

If the PS5/Xbox Two can't play PS4/Xbox One games, I'm gonna be pissed.

Before, they were always switching their hardware architecture, but with the PS4/Xbox One, both consoles swapped to x86-64 from their old Power PC days. Before that, the Playstation and Playstation 2 used MIPS architecture. And yes, you could play PS1 games on a PS2 (for like 99.9% of the games)...and we all loved it.

I fully expect them to continue using x86-64 for the next generation and think that both of them releasing upgrades to their original launch hardware shows them experimenting on how the hardware scales and how games can be released on two different consoles of varying power.

Maybe we can have a reversal of last year where Microsoft adds consumer friendly features to their console and mocks Sony for being greedy. Afterall, we all remember this amazing video back when Microsoft tried to do that stupid thing where all purchased games were tied to a single user:

So no more excuses, bring back backwards compatible as a feature for the 9th Gen!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

I have no idea wich tech they will use, but i'm expecting something more than the same tech with higher specs. There was talk of quantum processors and new generations of ATI.

End of the day, i'd like to be able to keep my games, but i am not too upset if i don't.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Why do you think they'd change architectures from x86? It's very friendly to developers who want to build for all the major platforms (Sony, Microsoft, PC), allows for cheap/powerful/low energy hardware, and is well known among virtually all developers. It also has a ton of vendors they can buy from due to how ubiquitous the hardware is.

I really don't think Sony is ready to go back to their Power PC (i.e. Cell) days where developers hated making games for it. And Microsoft...well...they obviously have x86 bias.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
If they do bring back B/C, I probably will buy one at launch. If not, then fuck it, I will wait for price drops.

I'm done buying systems cause of their prices. I don't even do that with PCs anymore either, used to spend 1000+ each time easily, sometimes more than 1500+, last PC was 2200 dollars.

Sure, I use my PC a lot, but why waste it on a i7 CPU, 1070, 32gb DDR4, etc etc etc, when cheaper parts work just fine for what I'm doing. It's not like I'm doing anything on it that requires high end parts other than PC gaming, but a 600 dollar computer runs the games I Play just fine.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
Rubeus

I always thought that Sony and Microsoft are both going to be making PC based consoles, starting from PS4, all future generations will be able to run games from previous generation. Just like how PS4 Pro can run PS4 games.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:04 AM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
well I would hope that the Pro could run the PS4 games. How many would be pissed off if it didn't and not buy it?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 AM   #7
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
I always thought that Sony and Microsoft are both going to be making PC based consoles, starting from PS4, all future generations will be able to run games from previous generation. Just like how PS4 Pro can run PS4 games.
Yeah, that's what you, me, and a lot of people were getting excited for when they went x86. That and making porting between consoles way, way easier when the architecture is all well known.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

A part of me can't shake the feeling that the next-gen consoles will be launching at a higher price point. But we shall see.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I don't know about Sony but I was under the impression that's pretty much what MS intend to do from now on. Apart from when licenses are concerned.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
spider-prime

With them probably going to be all 4K, yah, 400 American dollars looks like it's going to be the norm and then there will be Nintendo selling outdated hardware but with a gimmick for 350 dollars and somehow still selling more, just cause they seem cheaper. lol
Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I have this image in my head of the stage at E3 going dark. A spot light shines down on a bedroom from the mid-90s and a kid putting in a game into the PS1 and playing it. Another light shines down, same room, older actor representing the same kid; but he turns on a PS2 and puts a game in. Another lights shines down, same room, early 2000s, older actor as the kid growing up, turns on a PS3 and puts a game in. Another light shines down, same situation, but this time a PS4. At last, a light shines down, older actor in his mid to late 30s turns on the PS5, pulls out each of the games he played growing up from each system, and puts them into the console and every games boots up. Game after game. Decides not to play any of them as he puts in a newly announced game.

Crowd explodes in applause at 4 generations of Playstation games are backwards compatible.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

That would be amazing, but with the PS3 running cell, it's unlikely. Unless they straight up put a PS3 inside the PS5 (like when the first generation PS3s has a PS2 inside of them). Even cutting edge processors struggle to emulate all PS3 games well.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
spider-prime

That's also why they took PS2 B/C out of PS3 cause the older ones actually had a PS2 boards inside the PS3. But, they also figured out how to emulate it and have PS2 games run and sold over the PS store.
So, I think it's possible if they wanted to. They said the emotion chip was "hard" to emulate also. But, they still did it. It's probably about if they will see a profit in doing so. If not, then fuck it. I think that's all their line of thinking is with it.