The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #61
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Wings are a vetran reward, once you have enough months paid they unlock.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #62
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo
Energy/Regen amirite?! LOLOL

Not quite i have had to be creative as of late on siren's call. I even did another respec.

So basically they usually ask me to cut off my hide and no AS. But, i'm SO'd out anyway so sometimes I entertain the notion until we actually fight. If its just a normal fight i'll go

Build up
AS
Smite(usually right there they die)
if still alive
placate
Build up
AS again
that don't kill em
placate
touch of fear
smite(critical)
jump kick(its a knockback)

if that doesn't kill them then i have to start stacking and I hate doing that and usually means they're going to own me. Usually that tactic always works. Basically i mix it up in any given situation. Keeps it fun. When they triple team me and they debuff the hell out of me i die almost imediately. Kind of funny. I don't do all my moves right away. I like to see what they're made out of first.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #63
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

btw, angelo what villain server you play on? I want to build a brute and I don't want to do all the hard work. I need lots of dough and someone to get me up quickly.

Zechin
Old 01-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #64
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

I have all my characters on Guardian. And I see you have a DarkMelee stalker? I've never fought one of those in open PvP. For open PvP I usually use my Fire/Energy Melee Tanker, and for 1v1 and Arena events I use my Broadsword/Regen Scrapper, mainly for Stalkers, Regen is like free game for stalkers in open PvP, especially since you don't get focused accuracy until such a high lvl.

But yeah, Guardian. I'll give what I have.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #65
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah at first i regret the dark melee stalker thing. After a while I just adjusted to it and made it work. I get owned if i'm surrounded but 1v1 in a duel i do pretty well.

Zechin
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #66
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Pft. You want a challenge, play a claws stalker. Nothing is more pointless than when your high damage claws attach does about 90HP worth of damage to an invun scrapper.

I have enough skill and planning that I can kill scrappers here and there, but most the time its a stalemate. I can't get past their self healing (Dull Pain on Invun/Regen, tons of heal on Regen, ect). I can sometimes get in my next two hits fast enough on a regen that they don't react with their heal quickly enough and I can get them down. Otherwise, we just trade one or two hits before I slip away.

The only time that changes is in the arena or in RV at the 50 level. Focused Accuracy is way too good. Not only is it a huge perception buff (letting you see through hide all the time, and sometimes even hide+stealth by itself), but its also a huge accuracy buff that cuts through my defense as though I didn't even have toggles running. Even with a tier nine they hit you regularly. It's a power that really needs nerfed. Regardless, I'm not dumb enough to try to scrap it out with a scrapper, so they still never really get me.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #67
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I actually think pvp is geared more towards heroes. The stupid little unsaid rules that they have. Once heroes organize its all over and they own the circles. Villains only do well when there are less heroes and we have a MM.

On a sidenote i just realized the importance of practice brawler. I'm so pissed off because i respec it for something else and now i get caught in retarded ass holds. Damn so next respec its back in.

Anyway double exp weekend. Hopefully this will get people back into it although ya know WoW expansion is out. haha I'm tired of being stuck at lvl 33 fighting carnies.

Zechin
Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #68
Alucard

Looks like the game has officially become crap.

Quote:
SUMMARY:
Issue 9: Players acquire and invent new items and have the option to buy and sell them using the new hero and villain auction houses. Along with Issue 9's other great features, this brand new system results in a wealth of new gameplay options for players.

FEATURES:
Invention System (Heroes and Villains) Using the highly anticipated Invention system, players acquire and collect valuable resources in the form of Salvage and Invention Recipes. These will be used together to invent powerful new enhancements, costume pieces, new powers, gadgets, and more. This creates a world of new possibilities, rewards and even greater character evolution!

Auction Houses (Heroes and Villains)
Where better to buy and sell all of these new items than in the new auction houses! Wentworth's Fine Consignments have sprung up throughout Paragon City™ while the villains prefer to do their dark dealings alongside “black-market” trucks placed throughout the Rogue Isles™.

Statesman's Task Force (Heroes only)
This high-level PvE content allows eight heroes to team up in order to face and defeat Paragon's greatest enemies! Completing this difficult challenge results in some of the game's rarest rewards!

New Hamidon Encounter (Heroes and Villains)
Not only do villains get their own end-game raid encounter with the “Hamidon,” but the new experience is also brought to the Heroes side where players must use new tactics to bring down one of the city's greatest threats.
While alot of that is kinda cool, the fact that now theres items to 'sell' means this is going to become bleah. Not pleased.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #69
SuperAngelo64

Yeah, the thing they don't mention is that the stuff you 'invent' is for the most part just fun 'fluff' like extra costume pieces .

For a player like me that absolutely despised the old Hamidon raids (giant, 4 hour long, pointless lag-fest with a group of literally 100-200 people), the new Hami raid is actually somewhat interesting.

As for the invention system, me and a friend on beta test server found a way into the Universities (place where you 'create' inventions). For the most part the new 'enhancements' are nothing gamebreaking, but make your characters more customizable than before. For example where as before you could only buy enhancements that would boost, say, 33% dmg.. These special invention enh would boost 20% dmg, 10% acc, and then do something small and random like 5% chance of knocking back an enemy.

As for the gadgets, eh, I'm assuming they'll be like permanent 'temporary powers' which weren't game breaking or anything, but kinda neat.

Quote:
I actually think pvp is geared more towards heroes.
The devs openly admitted that heroes are geared more towards teamwork and villains are geared more towards solo play. The difference is pretty slight though, it's really all how you play your AT. The thing is that in PvP you have alot've Brutes thinking they're Tankers and alot've lazy Corrupters thinking they're Defenders. Masterminds are actually the true Tankers of CoV.

Last edited by SuperAngelo64; 01-25-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #70
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

The black market trucks are generation one Optimus Prime.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #71
SuperAngelo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriYagami n8
The black market trucks are generation one Optimus Prime.
Hah, yeah I saw that. Wonder how long it'll be until they're forced to remove them D:
Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #72
Pantymon
Gotta get em all

In PvP the biggest problem is the inherent abilities. Heroes had theirs added in as an afterthought, a nice little boost to already complete classes. Villains were designed around their inherent abilities and if you can nullify their inherent, then you go a long way to nullifying the character (and it's very very easy to nullify most of the villain inherent abilities).

MM's are great for taking an Alpha but after that they have no real agro management tools. Properly buffed a Brute basically is a tanker with slightly less hit points, either can work but neither does it as well as a Tanker except Granite Brutes.

The dev team on this game has gone so quiet since they got the Marvel game to develop that it's really sad. They used to have a fairly robust interaction with the players but it's trickled to a stop now. Plus most people have been pretty unhappy with large elements of the last 2 issues, yet threads hundreds of mostly well thought out and constructive posts get 0 attention.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #73
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

DOUBLE EXP!!!

Zechin
Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #74
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quite a few villains ATs can't really have their inherients nullified though. Only Stalkers and Masterminds are subject to this. You can break a stalkers hidden status, and you can TP Foe a Mastermind out of his supremecy range (though the clever MM can avoid this most the time). You can't nullify Brute fury, Corruptor Scourge, or Dominator Domination. Gauntlet for Tanks is quite lame, and only really added in because idiot tankers wouldn't take Taunt and then bitched about how poorly they held agro. The defender inherient where you spend less endurance as your teammates HP is lower (yours not included) is extremely lame. It rewards you for doing a poor job. Controller inherient is fantastic. Blaster inherient is alright. Kheldians get crappy inherients. Scrapper inherient is pretty good. In short, the inherient abilities aren't really an issue. Part of the reason Hero ATs tend to do better in PvP is that they weren't built with PvP balance in mind, they weren't nerfed into it, and frankly, not quite enough.

Brutes are the CoV tanks, you have to remember, MM Bodyguard (which lets them somewhat tank) was an after thought and added in mostly to let MM survive ambushes (which ignore their pets and go for them) and upped their PvP since all the PvPers would do the same. Two shot the MM before his pets even got off a shot. All the CoV ATs are built to solo better, and that means each one can do quite a good portion of damage. Since more damage gets kicked out, Brutes don't need to be able to take as much agro. Dominators and Brutes work well together for total crowd control. Unlike CoV where you can often just take a controller or tank. Brutes are made better for tanking on teams with corruptor support. A Cold corruptor with Frostwork (HP Boost) and Ice Shields is fantastic. Or a thermal with Fire Shields and Forge. Brutes can do it, just not as well, but since each villain AT is capable of holding their own better, they don't really need to.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #75
Pantymon
Gotta get em all

Yes, I agree with what you're saying.. mostly. But most of my post was in regards to PvP where it's simple to negate a Brute's fury, you just hop around. BG/Supremacy for MM's is a non event in PvP since anytime a MM cares to show up they'll just get teleported away from their pets and slaughtered in short order. Stalkers can been seen by any serious pvp minded heroes. Stay above half health and you never have to worry about scourge though it is a good inherent. Domination is a tricky beast. If you find a Dom with it up, you're in for pain. Without their inherent abilities in play Villains come off very much second best to heroes.

It's a pretty commonly accepted reality that the best 8 man Villain side team in pvp is 8 corruptors. Every other villain AT adds too little to the table. That being said all the 'serious' pvp groups are hero side. Many tried villain teams but all either quit or returned to the heroes because the game is simply that poorly balanced.