The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Rubeus

Phil Spencer says Microsoft is thinking of buying a Japanese game studio

Jeez please don't be From Software, take NIS with you instead.

Click for full size

Quote:
Phil Spencer says Microsoft is thinking of buying a Japanese game studio

Microsoft following in Disney's film footsteps

It seems like every year Microsoft acquires at least one studio (this year it was Double Fine, last year it was...a truck load of them), and as Xbox boss Phil Spencer looks to the future, he wants to add a Japanese company into that mix.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Spencer explains, "I think it would be nice if we found an Asian studio, in particular a Japanese studio, to add. I liked it when we had some first-party capability in Japan. We have a small team there, but I think we can do more. That said, through our trips to Japan, I love having Phantasy Star back on our stage with Sega -- I thought that was fantastic. Miyazaki-San, before with Dark Souls and now having Elden Ring on our stage... the Japanese creators have shown up more and more."

Did Phil Spencer just intimate that he wanted to buy From Software? Man wouldn't that be a hell of an announcement that would set the internet completely ablaze? It'll be really interesting to see how Microsoft plans to turn around their presence in Japan, if that's what they're hinting at for the next generation.

Right now the Xbox One war is already lost, as they only peddled a paltry 18,000 units in all of 2018 in the region. So Microsoft clearly has a ways to go in terms of working their way back up, and this Sisyphean task could require a major acquisition. Platinum and From are obvious targets, but Konami or SNK's game division, while allowing the former two to operate their pachinko/arcade arms separately, wouldn't be a bad arrangement for all involved.

https://www.destructoid.com/phil-spe...o-557209.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Ergh... the prospect scares me.

Well... at least they won't be getting platinum cause that boat has sailed after dragonscale.

They better keep the fuck away from Falcom!

Hmm... i have no ideas about what they could get. If they restaffed mistwalker, they could get those sweet jrpg's they gave up on in the past (lost odyssey and blue dragon).

NIS is happy to be purchased but their portfolio doesn't mesh with MS. Basically they only got Disgaea.

From software is a good candidate, but it might be too pricy for them. Not sure they want to be aquired anyways. I don't care cause i don't enjoy souls games, but it would lock away Tenchu and Armored core.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Maybe they should acquire mistwalker, make a sequel to Lost Odyssey and watch how they still don't manage to sell anything in Japan.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

It's true. Unless it has anime characters it doesn't work. It was too realistic for the japanese market. Decent game, but it outstayed it's welcome a bit too much.

Last edited by Nem; 06-17-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 AM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
Jeez please don't be From Software, take NIS with you instead.
From Software is already owned by Kadokawa who are massive in Japan so that won't happen.

I could see them buying someone like Capcom. Capcom have been majorly western aimed for years (but there games still sell in Japan), have had a great relationship with Microsoft since the original Xbox and recently removed a clause in there company that stopped them being brought by a western company.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
Paper exe
Pwnd

Capcom is a wierd choice. I highly doubt it. In vain to the companies they bought it probably a tiny or mid tier companies at best. Something in the scales of Gust or compile Hearts. Thu Probably not those two either. Xbox is so casual westren mainstream that is hard to find a match for in Jap.

Hopefully they wouldn't buy any. I don't want to be locked out. No body plays Xbox or PC these system should only get downgraded ports or for the very best decent ports.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

I doubt capcom aswell. They will be way too expensive. I think they only want a studio. Capcom counts as multiple AAA studios.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 AM   #8
Hagane
Unlucky dog

I find absurd that capcom would become exclusive given the fact that most of their games are published on every existing platform, it would be a loss for them.

If something we have learned on this times is that the bigger or more resourceful developer doesn't equal quality so they'll have to select carefully wich one.

By the way Gust is part of Koei-Tecmo so it's unlikely.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I bet it's going to be Nintendo!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
Hagane
Unlucky dog

I'm willing to take that bet because nintendo needs so desperately a functional online service.