The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #91
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Good review.

By the way, what is this "Resident Evil Outbreak File" bull**** they've got going on the PS2? Is it just the first 2 RE'S?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #92
gearhound
Versus the World

resident evil outbreak is actually online RE. i haven't played it, and i really don't care to. maybe the second will be good who knows.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #93
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hmmm... interesting. I do not approve of this concept.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #94
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

boktai 3 is coming out this year paper so keep your eyes open

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #95
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
boktai 3 is coming out this year paper so keep your eyes open
I know but the problem is that I need to play the first one which I could not find it anywhere.

Maybe the NDS Boktai is a remake of Boktai 1 that why Boktai 3 is for the GBA instead of NDS.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #96
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Another great review. RE4 is one of the best of this generation, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
I dare you to play this game in the bedroom with the lights off.
Yeah, uh-oh. Better not do that. Otherwise, something really bad will happen.

It's not as bad as paying money for an Outbreak title. I TRIPLE-DOG-DARE YA!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #97
gearhound
Versus the World

he he

yeah, you wouldn't want a man with a bag on his head wielding a bloody chainsaw to come crashing through your window. could you imagine how crazy that would be? ::imagines:: yeah, pretty messed up.

i appreciate the comments, guys. feel free to add some critiques because i think i could use them.

Last edited by gearhound; 06-09-2005 at 07:29 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #98
gearhound
Versus the World

i am in the process of beating/reviewing:

gate of thunder
lords of thunder (again)
air zonk
the minish cap
project: snowblind

i hope i can do this soon. until then...
Old 06-25-2005, 05:36 AM   #99
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Oh yeah, Lords of Thunder! :cool guy: GoT was pretty cool, too, and it was awesome how it came with Bonk's Adventure/Revenge plus the hidden Bomberman game. I've memorized the password to the final stage (8-8) of Bomberman by heart ~ RXOZIHKK.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #100
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Oh yeah, Lords of Thunder! :cool guy: GoT was pretty cool, too, and it was awesome how it came with Bonk's Adventure/Revenge plus the hidden Bomberman game. I've memorized the password to the final stage (8-8) of Bomberman by heart ~ RXOZIHKK.
hey, i have that but i have not accessed bomberman. give me the code or else!!

and yes, lords of thunder is wholely original and totally kick ass!
Old 06-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #101
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Sure. When you see the game select screen, press Up, Right, Down, Left, II. You'll hear a chime and then it will load up Bomberman. If you want to access the stage select in GoT, at the title screen press I, II, II, I, Select, I, II, I, II, Select, Select, Run. (Note that you can find tons of codes and cheats online at sites such as www.gamefaqs.com and such.)
Old 06-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #102
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Gates of Thunder owns. I don't know which I like better, it or Lords of Thunder. Lords is probably a bit more ambitious, especially with the graphics.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #103
gearhound
Versus the World

yep, the music in both is good, but i like lords better.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #104
gearhound
Versus the World

Almost as good as Symphony of the Night.

One hell of a Castlevania game

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Release: May 2003
Console: Gameboy Advance
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami

Overview
Konami?s Castlevania has been blessing gamers with greatness since 1986. With the release of Symphony of the Night for the Playstation in 1997, which is considered the greatest title in the series by many, Konami surprised gamers with its new gameplay formula that was reminiscent of Super Metroid. Symphony of the Night marked the first Castlevania title to incorporate RPG elements, expanding the gameplay immensely. This approach was widely accepted by long-time fans of the series as well as newcomers. Castlevania was reborn. AoS is a testament to the overall beauty of the series.

Story: 8.0
The game takes place in 2035. Soma Cruz, the hero of Aria, is an exchange student studying in Japan. He is on his way to the Hakuba Shrine along with his childhood friend Mina Kakuba to witness the much-anticipated solar eclipse. As Soma and Mina ascend the stairway, they are both suddenly transported to Dracula?s castle, inside the eclipse. They are soon greeted by Genya Arikado, a mysterious man who aids Soma on his quest. Soma must traverse the huge castle if he is to escape safely with his friend. Aria may not have an amazing story, but it certainly isn?t lame by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, Castlevania has never been known for its beautiful drama but only its fantastic gameplay. What it does offer is a fun quest with plenty of characters, friend and foe, waiting to greet (or kill) the game's hero.

Gameplay: 10
The true gem of any Castlevania title, with the exception of the two vomit-inducing, 3-D failures that landed on the Nintendo 64, is the gameplay. Aria delivers big time. This time around Soma can absorb the souls of his enemies and gain new powers. These powers aren?t just offensive. Soma can equip 3 souls at the same time, each one with varying abilities. Bosses usually release their souls the first time you kill them, but it is a different story for regular enemies. Sometimes Soma may have to kill an enemy numerous times in order to receive its soul. This also applies to weapons, armor and item drops as well. The more rare the item, the harder it is to obtain. The gameplay is faster and much better than its predecessor, Harmony of Dissonance. Aria even expands on the types of items dropped like in Symphony, which gives the game much more depth and playability.

Graphics: 9
Aria looks fantastic on the GBA. Enemies are freakish, substantially large, disgusting, and most of all, pretty dang impressive. Some of the bosses are so grand they take up the entire screen. The level design is good with returning areas like the clock tower and the underground waterway. Each stage is very artistic and littered with great detail, some more than others, however. The bottom line is this: the game is just gorgeous and demonstrates the sheer power of the GBA.

Sound/Music: 9
The Castlevania series has always given gamers something sweet to listen to. Titles like Super Castlevania IV, Rhondo of Blood, and Symphony have some of the most incredible music ever heard in a videogame. Famed composer Michiru Yamane lends her amazing talent once again to Aria. She has a little help from Harmony composer Soshiro Hokkai and Takashi Yoshida, who composed a remix track on the Harmony CD. Yamane is the driving force behind most of the soundtrack to Aria, though. She has crafted a fantastic soundtrack once again -- one that surpasses the tunes of Harmony ? but falls short of the greatness she demonstrated when she composed the soundtrack for Symphony. The sound is also a big improvement over Harmony and takes advantage of the sound capabilities of the GBA. For fans of Castlevania, the music in Aria will not disappoint. Aria certainly sounds like Castlevania, and that is the most important factor.

Overall Experience: 9.5
With a huge amount of weapons, items and armor, a pleasing soundtrack and towering bosses, Aria of Sorrow is the best Castlevania title for the GBA. It resembles Symphony of the Night more than Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance as far as gameplay depth is concerned, and as noted in the past, better gameplay makes for a better game. Aria of Sorrow is waiting for you, ready to suck you into a world of top-notch gameplay. If you have yet to experience Aria, I must ask myself why. Aria beckons you to partake in its overall charm with a strong, alluring force. You will not be disappointed. Be on the lookout for the sequel for the Nintendo DS, Dawn of Sorrow, later this fall!

Final Score: 9.1/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 06:13 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:22 AM   #105
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Area of Sorrow was a great game, but perhaps a little too pastel. Some of the music here and there was good. Michiru's one or two contributed tunes were good. But overall not quite as nice sounding (melody-wise) as whatever the first GBA Castlevania was called. I can't even remember the music from the 2nd GBA Castlevania, but I don't remember it being bad.