The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #46
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I knew you'd see it that way. Rygar definitely has the superior soundtrack. Although it's sad that I gave it such a low score, I honestly felt that it could've been much, much better. Look at how extremely well Tecmo pulled off the presentation, then look at the mostly lousy stages and repetitive enemies. And those huge troll-like creatures were annoying! It did have some wicked boss encounters. I hope the sequel is a much better game overall because Rygar didn't live up to my expectations.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #47
gearhound
Versus the World

i understand that. i did like the level designs. the levels themselves were beautiful. the overall feel of rygar was astonishing for me. the lack of many enemies didn't really bother me. i think there were about 6 or 7 different types (maybe more). but the gameplay was great, the music was fantastic. the voice acting was lame though. the exploration was wonderful. the biggest gripe i have is that it is too short.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #48
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

hey gearhound, what did you think of the ending of GOW? I thought it was a little dissapointing because after getting that new weapon i thought a lot more was going to happen. it was more of a big tease, i think, seeing as you have to walk up to the throne in olympus. great review gearhound! :cool guy:

edit: you should do a compare and contrast review of the three DMC games that have come out so far gearhound. it would be cool for you to show how each has changed and what has worked and what did not.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear

Last edited by SavedFromSin; 04-08-2005 at 01:15 AM.
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #49
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, that sounds like it would be fun. i enjoyed the ending to god of war. although the game was pretty short, it was one heck of a ride. i wish there were more weapons in the game.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #50
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Is God of War shorter than Ys 6?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #51
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, it is ...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #52
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It takes around half the time to beat GoW. It did for me, anyway.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #53
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

ys took me like 20 hours to beat.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #54
gearhound
Versus the World

Simply magnificent

One of the greatest 2-D shooters in existence.

Gradius V
System: Playstation 2
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Konami
Release: September 2004

Overview
Gradius has always had god-like status among lovers of 2D shooters. Ever since its NES inception, Gradius has only improved. Gradius V is a testament to that. Treasure, a development team that consists of former members of Konami who had a big hand in the development of NES, SNES and Genesis games such as Contra, Castlevania, Axelay and Gunstar Heroes, developed Gradius V. What they have given us is a classic throwback to the memorable 8-bit and 16-bit days of gaming. Get ready to play one of the greatest, if not the greatest, Gradius installments of all time.

Story ? N/A
Control Vic Viper once again to save the universe or die like a wuss. Nobody wants that especially Vic Viper. A life form that was thought to have been destroyed by the Gradius army is back. Year: 8010 A.D. An orbiting space station was nearly destroyed by a Zelos Army and Vic is once again called in to kick more space butt. Yes, Zelos is back and ready to wreak chaos and destruction throughout the Gradius universe. Since this is a 2D shooter, the story is of little relevance and should not affect the score.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
The gameplay this time around is much deeper. Remember the ?options? that you can acquire in the Gradius series? Well, Konami decided to call them ?multiples,?and now you can actually control them. There are four different types: freeze, direction, spacing and rotate. Each one can be controlled by pressing or holding down R1. The hitbox (vulnerable area around you ship), is incredibly small, allowing for some extremely tight maneuvering. You may ask yourself, ?Did I just dodge all of that?? This time around, if you die, and you will die (many times), you have a chance to grab your multiples, but you must be quick or they will get passed up. The power meter, like all Gradius games, is located at the bottom of the screen. Each time you grab a power-up capsule your selection scrolls to the right, highlighting speed, missile, double, et cetera. Gradius V plays like a dream without any slow down. Unlockable weapons like the classic ripple and continues keep the game even more enjoyable. Be prepared because Gradius V is difficult. You will find yourself dodging enemies and bullets in all directions. The game can get very intense. When Treasure?s at the helm you know it?s going to be tough.

Sound/Music: 9/10
For some odd reason that has completely escaped me, Hitoshi Sakimoto composed the soundtrack to Gradius V. His most notable work can be found in Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics, two games with very impressive music. He is also composing the tunes for Final Fantasy XII. His distinct sound has graced the Gradius world redoing classic music from the series and composing original tunes. Let?s just say that the music in part V is very good. Hitoshi-san did a great job making his original compositions feel like Gradius.

Graphics: 10/10
This is quite simply the most beautiful shooter I have ever laid eyes on. Gradius looks magnificent on the PS2. The highly detailed space environments and the excellently designed stages will blow you away. Classic enemies and bosses make a return, and they are bigger and more impressive than ever. The sound effects are in typical Gradius fashion (albeit with a few enhancements), and the explosions, booms and bangs are all very remarkable. In other words, it all feels like a Gradius game, and that is a good thing. The graphics are, in one word, bewitching. It's a definite treat for your eyes.

Overall Experience: 10/10
Soon after popping Gradius V into my PS2, I was shocked, amazed and stupefied at its overall presentation and design. The graphics, sound and control are all wonderful. When treasure gets its hands on a game you can expect nothing but hardcore game design with a touch of difficulty for old-time sake. Games like this are rare indeed, but the 2D shooter is far from dead. Gradius V has breathed new life into the genre and has given gamers a true gem to be cherished forever. Gradius is back and ready to make you dance. Bring on Gradius VI!

Verdict: 9.6/10

note: this review is dedicated to Joe Redifer, Vicviper and Icarus, three guys i know who love this game :cool guy:

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 06:08 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #55
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Fantastic review! I knew Gradius V would be good before I got it, but I didn't realize how good it would be. This game was nearly two years in the making, as we saw it in action at 2002's E3. That's a lot of development time for a shooter! It shows. I thought I would be upset with the extreme difficuly, but I wasn't. Treasure handles it perfectly rewarding you with more continues the more you play, which helps you to get even further. Plus not stopping the game and setting you way back when you die is a giant plus, and helps keep the rythm of the game going strong. I thought the music would be incredibly boring like most of Hitoshi Sakimoto's other works, but once again I was proven wrong and it is oddly fitting. Granted I think the game could have used a more melodic theme int he first stage and maybe the "last" stage as anhomage to Gradius' typically strong music, but I can't have everything. Stage 4's music (when you are inside the living cave) is PERFECT. So is the music in the rotatig stage with the annoying green goo. It's a great ride from beginning to end (and back to beginning again).

If you haven't made it to the end, and you HAVE made it to stage two, KNOW THIS: The other Vic Viper that comes and helps you in stage two has a much harder path than you do.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #56
gearhound
Versus the World

thanks, and good points. did you know that you can turn the classic mode on? by turning this on, when you die you are set back like previous gradius games, but who here on earth wants to do that? i guess if you are dying for some classic gradius... treasure did one hell of a job with V though. i was overly impressed. joe, i was looking in your thread for a review of gradius and :yikes: it isn't there. i thought you reviewed it. well, how about it?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #57
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I agree. Gradius kicks arse! Nice review.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #58
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah I haven't done too many PS2 reviews yet. I might review it in time. Other games I'd like to review are Shenmue 1 and 2. (Shenmue 1 refuses to boot up on my Dreamcast, except for disc 2). I have an index listing on the first page of my review thread, so if you're ever looking to see if I reviewed a certain game, check there first!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #59
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I knew you'd do justice to a great game, gearhound. GV was my second favorite game of 2004, right behind Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Too bad that they don't make shooters as much as they used to. Shoot-'em-ups remains one of my favorite genres.

gearhound ~ "Gradius V plays like a dream without any slow down."

There is just an ever-so-slight amount of it, but it never hampers the game in any way. In fact, you might as well consider it a blessing.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #60
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I have an index listing on the first page of my review thread, so if you're ever looking to see if I reviewed a certain game, check there first!
yeah, i was looking for gradius earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Shoot-'em-ups remains one of my favorite genres.
mine as well. i wish there could be more of them!