The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Rubeus

Square Enix in talks with Epic to get full version of Final Fantasy XV on Switch

Even if it works, the game probably won't fit entirely into the Switch cartridge, you probably need to download another 30GB+ of data to the Switch?

Click for full size

Quote:
Square Enix in talks with Epic to get full, non-chibi version of Final Fantasy XV on Switch

As we learned recently, Square Enix is trying to get Final Fantasy XV on every platform under the sun. It's already running on PC with some visual upgrades, and a mobile edition is arriving at some point with a truncated chibi graphical style. But the Switch is another issue entirely.

Right now, Square Enix is set on putting the fully-featured XV on Nintendo's latest console, but they ran into problems getting the proprietary Luminous Engine to run. The solution? It might be Unreal. Speaking to Eurogamer, director Hajime Tabata noted that they're in talks with Epic to see "what [they] could possibly do there," in terms of using the engine or possibly even partnering up.

Given that Final Fantasy is sort of an evergreen property there's no rush here, so long as it includes most, if not all of the DLC to entice people in. Bethesda is leading the charge in terms of downgraded but seemingly functional current generation Switch ports (time, and reviews/hands-on reports will tell) with Doom and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, but Square Enix could be right behind them.

https://www.destructoid.com/square-e...h-462222.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I wonder how much of a downgrade it would need to run on the switch. Switch carts go up to 32gb is what I can find with a google search, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can go higher later on.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Multiple carts!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Multiple carts!
That would be ironic if we look back at the reason why square dropped support for nintendo during the n64 age.

Carts!
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
Rubeus

The PS4 version was 50.698GB, so with downgraded visual the game should still be at least 40GB, it's still too large for cartridge. So the game can be digital only?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
40 gbs wouldn't even fit on the switch without a SD card.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Hagane
Unlucky dog

The other solution would be to tear it apart in episodes but I doubt that anyone that has played the game would agree to that idea.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
The PS4 version was 50.698GB, so with downgraded visual the game should still be at least 40GB, it's still too large for cartridge. So the game can be digital only?
Wolfenstein was 41gb and Wolfenstein II is still coming to the Switch. Most likely it'll be partly on the cart (32gb) I think and partly downloaded unless they are going to do some major compression work.

That said I'd rather have the full version on the PS4/XB1 first.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
spider-prime

If they don't need high res textures cause of the lower power of the switch compared to the PS4/Xbox, it probably will lower the memory requirements by a lot, so they might be able to fit it on a entire cart still. It must be very doable since they come out soon, for Doom at least.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
Drunken Savior

Click for full size

Why are three of them walking while one is driving the car?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
spider-prime

Cause the guy in the car is EXTREMELY lazy.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #12
Nem
Smash bro!

It infuriates me how they can't let go of FFXV. It's a terrible FF and theres no saving it. Just move the f*** on.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #13
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Most likely because like it or not it's one of the best selling games in the series after (VII, XIII, VIII and X) and they have a lot of time and versions on it. Expect to hear about FFXV for quite some time yet.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote