The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #106
Vert1
Banned

No SC2 actually works the best with GameCube's controller. Capcom v.s. SNK2:EO is another story.

Using an arcade joystick or Hori pad is a smart option for 2D games on Cube. Buying DDR and using a PS2 controller is just moronic.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #107
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I don't care if you hate the ps2 controller, I rated the controllers on how well they worked. SC2 works for all consoles, by you saying that the gcn controller is the best is only your opinion, just like this review is based on what I think about a game.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #108
Vert1
Banned

The PS2 controller is not meant for playing game designed for dance pads.

SC2 is the best on GC. Suck it up.

What's that tune they play on this Etoy ad? It's from DDR it's by DJ Taki if I recall correctly. I was playing PM:TTYD to that...
Old 12-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #109
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

*sigh* Vert, just get the **** outta here. You are really annoying me and I don't feel like dealing with this **** from you over and over again.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #110
Vert1
Banned

Have fun playing DDR with a controller.

-edit-Sorry. I'm done.

Last edited by Vert1; 12-13-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:32 PM   #111
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Vert1, please just let the issue die.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:25 AM   #112
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I got to play DDR over my friend's house. Er, I couldn't figure out how to play it properly. I do remember that it had a rather obtuse soundtrack, for lack of a better term. Music games are more fun for me to watch than they are to play. I remember beating Parappa the Rapper, though. That was fun but too damn short! The fifth song (when everybody is waiting to use the restroom) was easily the best of the bunch.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 AM   #113
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Feel the Magic XY/XX

I bought this game last week and didn't actually finish it until yesterday. This is the latest and greatest from Sega's Sonic Team, and if you think about it, this is a T rated game, that means crude humor and suggestive themes. Well the ds was always about touching things so I guess that was to be expected.

Graphics - 9
These graphics are awsome, although the colors are flat most of the time, thier very clear and crisp, not to mention some of the effects that are in the game would have slowed down an an n64. This game is always moving at an fps of 60, there are some cases where it runs at 45-50fps and even then thats still better than the 64 so, kudos to Sega on that one. The game has a lot of style and thats what really brings out the beauty in it, a port of Rez comes to mind now. There is one thing that I noticed when setting the game to Japanese too, the girl in the title screen doesn't have a top on when it's set like this.

Sound - 10
There are only ten tracks total in the game, but what an awsome 10 tracks it is, they all don't suck, and they once again, fit the games description. The sound effects in this game are also crazy good, and goofy, to match this games style.

Gameplay - 9
This is the best game the ds has right now, not even Mario 64 DS comes close, and that was an awsome game too. There are a bunch of mini games for you to mess with, you can't play with your buddies, but the mini games have a bunch of style and are very fun, but also very frustrating later on. Theres also a lot of extras and unlockables to mess with and you can set the game to Japanese to make it more authentic. After you beat the game, you can play hard mode, but the real hardcore gameplay comes from playing memory mode. In memory mode, you get to play all the mini games, but instead of 5 stages and 3 lives, your set with passing ten stages with only one life. This is one of the only ways to unlock the many dresses, shoes and hairstyles for your girl. Theres also a sound test and I've created some pretty perverse tracks with this mode.

Humor - 9
I laughed my ass off playing this game cause it was so funny, shooting bulls, fighting with giant robots and other such nosnese. It was also all for one girl too, the only difference between the girl in this game and the other video games and animes that I've seen, she isn't annoying and doesn't abuse you. The humor in this game is just genious and not even Wario Ware can top this game.

Replay - 9
I'm still trying to unlock everything, the only reason that I havent done so yet is well, these mini games are hardcore. The Monocyle games get on my nerves in particular.

Overall - 9.2
This is a great launch game and you'd have to be crazy not to like it. This game is actually rarity bait, as I don't see many copies being sold anymore.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #114
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Megaman X8

Last year we were treated to one of the worst games ever, Megaman X7, this year we're treated to a game that is actually good, Megaman X8. I actually played the demo for this game at my local Blockbuster and I liked the way the demo was heading, but was skeptical about the game as a whole. My friend bought it yesterday, so we both sat and played the game all day. The results, well thats what this review is for.

Graphics - 7
Not the best graphics on the ps2 but still good, the graphics in this game are very simple in design but comes together very well. The game still manages to give you that 2d feel that was in all the gams prior to X7. The new character designs are also pretty good too, but whose idea was it to make the robots look and seem more human than they already were.

Sound - 7
Not the best sound by any means, but still good sound, the English voice acting in this game also doesn't suck. That is a really good thing too, Axl also isn't a little kid anymore and X's balls have finally dropped.

Gameplay - 8
Controls in this game are spot on, there arent any of those nasy bugs that were in X7. It may be rendered in 3d, but the gameplay is very 2d. The gameplay also doesn't suck, those annoying 3d levels are gone from X7 and good riddance. The challenge that was in the old X games has also returned, however, I'm really getting tired of these damn near undodgable desparation attacks the bosses have in the recent X games. There are only two stages that have you riding two different vehicles and they also don't suck. Heart tanks and Sub tanks are no more in this game either. You now have to buy your life max up along with your weeapon max, etc, you can do this by getting metal in the game. Theres also a combo system now, the better your combo, the better your score in the stage and the more metal you get. Of course if you get hit or wait too long the combos stop, with that, X and Axl are the best to do combo's with.

Theres also a team attack, both your characters have to be alive and you have to be up close to the enemy to connect with it. X's multiple armors also return and so do different routes in stages, but not to worry, theres still several things to find for both Axl and Zero in this game too. X can also equip different parts on his nuetral armor to suit your needs on a mission. Alia also returns but so do two more annoying robo bitches, Layer and Pallette. They all tell you different stuff too, Pallette shows hidden stuff, Layer specializes in boss weaknesses and Alia will always give you the layouts of a stage. You can pick one of the three before you start a stage, and on top of that turn them off if you don't like being annoyed by them. But hey the good part is that you can play as all three of them later, making a total of six playable characters in the game, even though they play like thier male counterparts. Vava also returns in this game and man is he cool, Theres also riding armor, stage ranks as well as percentage completion. There are also 3 different difficulty settings in this game along with a clear save.

Balance - 8
The game actually isn't totally broken, X isn't over powered, Axl is useful, and Zero doesn't suck like he did in X3, X5 and X7. Bosses are still a little overpowered but not enough to make you cry like in X6.

Replay - 9
The replay on this game is pretty high, theres a lot of stuff to do and many things to unlock and look for. Some of the stages are short but theres a lot of things to be done in each stage. You will put at least 10 hours into this game and you still wont do everything there is to do. Theres also a challenge in this game.

Overall - 7.8
It looks like the crew at Clover studios gave the dev team for this game some pointers. They might not have but the game seems to be heavily influenced by VJ, it's a good thing that this game is actually good, cause if it wasn't, Capcom could really kiss thier asses goodbye. None the less, the game has impressed me and I kept wanting to play, so it looks like Capcom is climbing out of that hole they got themselves in.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #115
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Earthworm Jim

Back in the snes and genesis days, there were a lot of quality games, one of those games was Earthworm Jim. Full of goofy and fun game play along with very hilarious stage names and enemies, this was one of the best games for the 16 era. Lets see just how great this game actually was. You play the role as Earthworm Jim, a very unlikely hero. You were once just a worm seeking sanctuary from another bird’s talons, when suddenly a power suit falls on you. All you wanted to do was live another day eating dirt and avoiding the early bird, now you have to avoid the people searching for the power suit and save Princess What’s Her Name. Run, jump, whip, shoot, and helicopter your way through some of the craziest level designs that you’ve ever seen in your life. I’m once again doing another double review, this is for the snes and genesis versions as I haven’t really played that much of the gba port.

Graphics – 8 both
Both the genesis and snes versions of Earthworm Jim were awesome games. The genesis had the same layout for the stages but it also had one more extra stage and more frames of animation. The snes had better visuals and a lot of frames of animation for Jim and the baddies, but not as many as the genesis version. The stages and character designs are very inventive too. The tire man and dogs in New Junk City are just two of the strangest minions that you’ll fight in this game. With that said, both versions were very colorful and fluently animated, definitely one of the prettiest games in the 16 bit gen.

Sound - 8 both
Both ports sported some great sound but there were differences in the two. There were some sound effects and tracks that weren’t in the snes version on the genesis, the title them was also different for the snes. The genesis version has the “Level Five” theme in the title while the snes version has the New Junk City theme at the title screen. The genesis version also has an extra stage and an extra theme for this particular stage, while the snes version doesn’t. The snes has better quality sound but no extra stage theme and Earl (I think that was the first boss’ name), makes a chomping sound on the snes version while on the genesis, he belches. Aside from the differences in some sound, this game has an awesome soundtrack, New Junk City, What the Heck, Andy’s Asteroids and Buttville parts 1 and 2 had some awesome tracks. There are also voice-overs for Jim, I’ve always been trying to figure out if he’s saying ‘ow,’ or ‘damn,’ either way both the snes and genesis ports sound great.

Game play – 8 both
No, not even the genesis version will get a better score, even though it had an extra stage. I loved to play both ports. The controls were a little loose at times, this caused me so many pitfalls in the past but they don’t bother me now. Anyways, you’ll fight through junkyards, and heck, bungee jump through snot pits, have space races, guide a puppy with a split personality through safety, and use your head as a helicopter through some of the most insanely awesome and inventive stages ever.

Replay – 9 both
There’s high replay value for this game, there are many secrets and different routes as well as multiple outcomes of a stage depending on how you play. If your not going to play for the action(which you should anyway), play for the humor. This game is so humorous that you’ll never stop having fun with it.

Average – 8.3 both
This is one of the best games that there was for the 16 bit gen, no gamer should be without it. This along with several other 2d plat former/action games, truly show just what the part of the 16 bit era was about.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #116
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Jim looked much fatter on the SNES version than he did on the Genesis. It was almost as if a 4:3 game was being stretched to 16:9, but not that extreme. Also the bonus stages looked a lot better on the Genesis version, and I felt the Genesis control pad lent itself more to games that move quickly like EWJ did whereas the SNES pad was meant for hella slow games like Chrono Trigger.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 AM   #117
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Nothing ever seems to escape your eyes Joe, . I also noticed that the genesis was for more fast paced games than the snes too.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #118
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Coming Soon:
Pulseman
Contra Hard Corps
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire 1&2
Killer Instinct
Super Mario 64 DS
Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix
Onimusha 2&3
Katamari Damacy
Chaos Field
Shining Force
Old 12-31-2004, 12:07 AM   #119
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

(Slips Messanic a $20)

Chrono Trigger is the best game ever.

But you already knew that! (Takes the $20 back!)

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 AM   #120
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Katamari Damacy

Just last year, Namco released one of the best games ever, and it sucks that Europe has to wait for the sequal. This game is called Katamari Damacy, it's revered by some as the most innovative game ever and even Nintendo fanboys have taken a liking to it. Your job in this game is roll **** up cause your dad, aka, The King of the Cosmos, went out drinking and destroyed the stars and the moon. Now it's your job as the Little Prince to syphon off everything in Japan to bring the moon and stars back. Now, time for the review.

Graphics - 8
This game has some pretty simple graphics, but the way in which it was all done comes together pretty well. Theres no slowdown at all, and while only moving at 50 fps, it always moves at that framerate. As you make your damacy bigger, the camera zooms out to make it easier to see, now normally games would slowdown when there are more things to see, but not this game. Needless to say, this is one pretty game, and the little videos shown are very simple but get the job done very well. The intro is also funny as hell, all in all the game does a good job of letting you know that your in that games' world.

Sound - 9
This game has one awsome ost. I love it to death but it's a little hard to listen to the ost without playing the game. But either, the quirkiness of the music goes well with the game and heres hoping for a equal ost for the sequal.

Game play - 8
The game is simple and sophisticated, it's not that easy to pick up and play but as time goes on, you get good at it. You have to use the two analog sticks on this game to roll stuff up into a ball a certain size within a certain time limit. I really enjoyed picking up people, cats, dogs, and even buildings in this game. Some missions also don't always require you to get to a certain size, sometimes you need to be a certain size while picking up certain things like school punks with huge pompodors. Presents are also hidden all over the game, they range from an electric guitar, headphones, a scarf, and a wresteling belt. You can only equip one and they don't really do anything to the game, but hey, you get style. Theres also a two player mode for more fun, but the two player mode may need a little more tweaking. The premise is the same as the main game but I havent been able to adjust to the vs mode too well, and there isn't enough variety in the two player mode, not to mention the arena's are a little claustraphobic.

Replay - 10
The replay value is super high, why, well simple, there are records to be beaten and presents to get. There are also other missions that I wasn't able to do unless I beat the game, or got better scores on other stages. Either way, this is a really fun game and theres always time to play.

Average - 8.8
This is a good game, I have yet to see any used copies and theres a good reason for it all too. It's a shame that our fellow gamers didn't get this game in the PAL territories, but theres always the sequal.