The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 10-12-2005, 02:50 AM   #106
justin_credible

or

It's almost like "cheers" but it's like "come by the Magicbox" and have a beer. (this is the image you should always have when thinking about the-magicbox, it's home!)

Here's a more gay one

Last edited by justin_credible; 10-12-2005 at 02:56 AM.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:50 AM   #107
Paper exe
Pwnd

Joe, you are embarrassing me. Seska is winning, so start making some more banners!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:55 AM   #108
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Well, I did suspect that my banner might be interpretted as "kiddy" or "gay" ( ), but the idea was to make it "magic", like, you know...the "MagicBox". I tried to do this without rabbits coming out of hats and other cheesy things like that.

I also didn't want to do something that was more realistic...not so synthetic. This forum is one of the few that doesn't allow pictures in signatures. I'm sure most of you have seen other gaming forums...the pictures in the sigs are usually some generic photoshop job. It's not that it's a crappy edit, but just how many times is it cool to see (Character Art-X) popping out of a "TeKn0-1cE" design with the guy's SN to the side in futuristic letters? You see this in every damn forum.

So I think that in order to really take the forum banner to the next level, we should aim to be more creative. We should rightfully represent the forum with a more unique banner that identifies this place as having a higher standard than the ruddy "p'shop-sig farm" forums. Right? Wouldn't that be nice? Either that, or just let Joe make another version of the current one we have now, because that one works fine for what it's worth..

So, with all that said, I'm gonna get to work on some other ideas. I love you all.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 AM   #109
Seska
Slurp

I really do like Xander's banner best for the forums ATM. It does a very nice job in conveying the diversity of topics the forum encompasses, from anime to videogames to politics (Stalin ) and it retains the character of all the people that come to post here.

Burpingcat, maybe one thing to take in mind for your next try is balance of images on your banner - the right side is a little empty, starting from that empty bubble there. This would be Ok, if you placed your logo to the left, Like Joe does in his banners, you can get away with lack of spacing on the right edge, as you can have it "Fade away". Im generally not a huge fan of filling up every space with images, but if you are focusing your viewer's attention on the centre, there has to be some balance in the way other images are placed on your banner.

Joe, I like the second banner better than the first one. The cropping is clean, the drop shadows add a nice touch, but I'm not too sure about the photo background. And most definitely in the case of the first banner, it looks a little cheap with the simple text and a lightning photo in the background - I think it would look better with a simple gradient background colour instead of a cheesey lightningstrike - if you want to go minimalistic, go all the way, IMO.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 AM   #110
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Here is another attempt at minimalistic:

Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #111
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Did you already open the magicbox? What was in it?
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #112
Seska
Slurp

Full of Popcorn! :9
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #113
welshfreak
: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander

don't cry for me.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #114
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
Burpingcat, maybe one thing to take in mind for your next try is balance of images on your banner - the right side is a little empty, starting from that empty bubble there.
Yeah, I'm very aware of that...the image is definitely not complete. I posted it as a work-in-progress to see what people thought. I was also calling for some suggestions on what to put in the bubbles. It definitely needs more of them, I'd say about twice as many, especially on the right side to even it out.

Here's a "hellfire" version of my banner. Is it less gay yet?

Last edited by burpingcat; 10-12-2005 at 01:52 PM.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #115
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

This thread got more interesting

I prefer you first one Burpingcat. This new color scheme has too much orange in it. You have a pretty good idea on it and it would probably look better once you filled it up more.

I tried a very similar idea for logo as you the last time we had a Banner Contest and it didn't work out for me maybe you can make it work. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #116
justin_credible

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshfreak

don't cry for me.
Relax, you're on the left side. Look again.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #117
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

This is a work in progress.

I'm going to add more characters, but what does anyone think so far. Btw I made the magicbox logo by hand. I used the polygon lasso tool to make the letters and the custom shape thing to make the stop-sign looking part. LOL I should've put a stop sign instead. I say the M on the logo came out pretty damn good, I couldn't really use the logo from the current banner because parts of it are covered up, and I rather make it by hand than trying over and over to touch up the parts that were covered up.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #118
Thunder Force 6
No longer ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
I am a likin' this one the most. I love how eclectic it is. Minimalism is highly overrated. (Irony?)
Thunder Force 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #119
welshfreak
: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_credible
Relax, you're on the left side. Look again.
Yay! xander added me, thanks Xander!
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #120
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Here are my current contributions:

Main Page banner:

Nice, minimalistic.

Wide version:

The game news banner gets a few characters.

My question to admin would be:
Do the main banners still need the blue half-circle on the bottom as well as the grey bar to match up with the rest of the page?

I like your's the best so far, ooo so pretty!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote