The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 PM   #31
discomfort wings

Search your prices at www.pricewatch.com

As for deals, you might find some good deals at:

www.slickdeals.net
or
anandtech's hotdeals forum
http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40

There were constantly dell server/systems poping up for cheap(coupon, rebates, etc..). Just add purchase memory, videocard and any other accessories at your own. Then you're all set.

Now as for video card, im not sure if you should get the new geforce or radeon. Im anticipating the new half-life2, and based on the released benchmark, im deciding a purchase for radeon.

Hope you'll get the best deal out of your bucks.
discomfort wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #32
discomfort wings

Quote:
Originally posted by Seska
If you want to go with a HD brand, go with Seagate - they have excellent customer services and guarantee services. Not a single HD I have had of theirs over the past has broken doown, and the only one that did (entirely due to my fault - but its a long story) I sent in to have replaced - thats how their warranty works. You send them your defect/broken HD and they replace it with a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE or better one.

I sent them my 80gig one and got back a new 120. Yay Seagate!
My IBM 80gig died, i wanted to replace it using warranty but then IBM said now all HD manufacture had reduced their 3 year warranty to only 1 year. :irked"

Im looking for another HD, do you know if seagate reduce their warranty down to 1 year? When did you purchase and return it?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #33
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Personally I've always had great luck with Maxtors, as have all of my friends here. I have one friend in Dallas who claims to have had lots of problems with them, however. This same guy also seems to have a lot of problems with AMD processors and prefers Intels, so I take what he says with a grain of salt, so to speak. I haven't tried Seagate, but I've heard good things. The IBM drives are a little shakey in my experience. Western Digital (are they still around?) were OK, but noisey. I haven't used one forever, though.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 PM   #34
Alucard

Maxtor is good. But last year and the year before the Seagate came out no1. But many magazines come out with different no1's so go fig. I would advise strongly against getting a Western Digital. I ended up buying one and in the 6months I had it the stupid thing wiped itself a good dozen times or so. I would have to reformat and reinstall windows twice a month. It would start getting some weird errors like I'd turn my system on sometimes and it would claim there wasn't any HD connected, so I'd have to reset and reset and hope it would come on. I never knew if it was my HD or the motherboard or something else. And everytime I contacted WD they would say if the tools on their site for testing HDs said there was no problem with the drive, then it must be something else. The forums at the time were filled with complaints and people trying to help each other for ages.

Finally they come out and say a certain model series was screwed from production. Took them 6months to figure this out. So I sent it back and they sent me a newer larger one, which I instantly sold to a friend since a month or so had passed by now I already had another HD in my system<seagate>. 2 months later my friend says he's having issues with it. He sends it back, they send a new drive, and he seems to be fine since then. Unless he didn't tell me anything. All I know is I avoid that brand like the plague. Others have no problems with it, but just going through a scandisc with one of those sounded like the thing was trying to turn itself inside out. Put my teeth on edge everytime.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:18 AM   #35
sin75

ughh! A very important post by Alucard, it looks like my assumption about Western Digital is abit correct. btw I got a broken 1gig Seagate(lasted for about 4 years) and my current almost still functioning 8 gig Seagate is having slow loading problems. Don't know if I would recommend it. Currently using Maxtor HDD and don't have enough experience to comment about it.
Anyone here got comments about CD/DVD rom drives?
Mine- never buy Creative CD rom drives, it's noisy and it breaks down fast!
sin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #36
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Personally I would avoid everything made by Creative Labs. Did you know that they purchased THX (the company) almost a year ago? Now THX means much less than it used to. As far as sound cards go, I have a Yamaha which I love. It is full duplex and works well enough for me. I don't need Dolby Digital on my computer so a digital out isn't required, at least for the time being.

By the way, does anyone even make non-full duplex sound cards anymore? That would suck not to be able to input and output sounds at the same time.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 09-18-2003 at 06:10 AM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:53 AM   #37
Seska

Quote:
Originally posted by snocat
My IBM 80gig died, i wanted to replace it using warranty but then IBM said now all HD manufacture had reduced their 3 year warranty to only 1 year. :irked"

Im looking for another HD, do you know if seagate reduce their warranty down to 1 year? When did you purchase and return it?

Thanks.

I guess it depends on the drive, but generally warranties go only for one year now. At least thats how it is for Seagate over here. I returned mune about 5 months after purchasing, but it was due to my equiment that the thing screwed up. One of my IDE device power plugs had a loose contact so randomly it could shut off power to the HD and freeze the PC. After this happened a few times (and I finally realized what the problem was) the HD was pretty much dead after suffering the equivalent of ripping the power plug out of it while it was running.... about half a dozen times. :p
Old 09-18-2003, 10:11 AM   #38
Alucard

Pioneer is the best brand for DVD/writer. After that theres Teac and Plextor. But Pioneer is always the first choice.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #39
Seska

Also, Pioneer carries a one year inhouse warranty. Good stuff.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #40
discomfort wings

Sounds like Maxtor and Seagate has been everyone's recommendation. I plan on getting this Maxtor 160GB:

OfficeDepot has the Maxtor 160GB 8MB Cache Hard Drive for $140 - $20 coupon code 79253059 - $40 rebate = $80 w/ free shipping.

Rebate: http://rebates.teg-online.com/office...asp?sku=447679

Thanks guys, :cool guy:

Go with a Pionner DVD-R burner, its very reliable. I got mine A04 a year ago and still working smoothly and get this, not a single coaster yet. My A04 writes in 1x speed then there were some hacked firmware to write 2x speed. The pionner dvd burners has a larger community for support if any problems shall arise.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #41
sin75

Why did you decided to buy a Pioneer DVD burner? Were you influenced by magazines then? Opinion from friends or what? What about CDr what brand would you recommend?
I heard that you can measure the quality of CDRs by the % reflection index. Is there a software that lets you check the reflection using a normal PC CD/DVD drive?
sin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #42
discomfort wings

Quote:
Originally posted by sin75
Why did you decided to buy a Pioneer DVD burner? Were you influenced by magazines then? Opinion from friends or what? What about CDr what brand would you recommend?
I heard that you can measure the quality of CDRs by the % reflection index. Is there a software that lets you check the reflection using a normal PC CD/DVD drive?

I had done some research over at forums.afterdawn.com and seems like pionner a04 got great reviews everywhere...and my gf surprised me when she got it for my birthday.

Yeah I heard CDR/DVDR quality depends on the % of reflection but I lost the url where it listed some brands and its percentage.

For CDRs, I only get the good price deals at the moment. For dvdrs i use apple, fujifilm, princo, ritek.

I heard apple has the highest reflective rate while ritek comes close to second. Don't know about princo but it has the lowest price among all brands. I purchase fujifilm locally when im low on dvdr.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:29 AM   #43
Alucard

It was something about the stats for the Pioneer that made it the best aswell. Something about the read latency or blahblah. I remember seeing it all, but my brain forgets things over time. Decomposes. Its just that little bit more faster and a stack more reliable.

Dont worry too much about the reflection % for CDs. I used some standard stuff like TDK and Kodak, and at times real crap stuff I get off a friend. Most things will read them. Especially Pioneer. Some brands you REALLY gotta look out for, like Lite-On. Dont ever buy that crappy brand. Worst EVER.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:21 AM   #44
Seska

I got my Pioneer a06 this week, and Im mighty pleased with it. I had a lot of stuff on my HD I needed to back up, and from 7 dvds not a single coaster. I also burnt at 4x using Princo dvds - those are cheapest here. Installation was also smooth, plugged the unit in and XP picked it up with not a single problem.

As for CD media quality, go here for a good breakdown on what media is good or not. That site also has a program you can download that analyzes your media and tells you what brand/fabric manufactured it. Traxdata, for example, is Ritek, and Imation are from Taiyo Yuden (among the best quality cds out there).
Old 09-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #45
Nindalf

Re: Building a Computer. Help!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
So, heres a list of everything I have found.

Tower

Motherboard

Processor

RAM

Graphics Card

Power Supply

dvd/cd drive

Eh... Just curious, when you have all that, you just glue them together or something? Like those little Warhammer thingy orcs, glue RAM into Graphic Card, then screw Processor to hole D, then take Motherboard and stich it to CD drive...

And if that question was answered somewhere in this thread, then I did not notice it because I'm too lazy to read.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote