The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-15-2003, 04:59 PM   #16
Mishi

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks only.

Does this mean that I can only use 2 sticks of this kind of memory? And if so can I still fill the 3rd slot with a different kind?
:heads up: i'm not a computer expert but..

i think to run dual channel which you can only use 2 if you use all 3 i dont think it will work. my mobo has 4 spots and i have to put them in the right ones to run dual channel

btw if you get512 sticks you really dont need more than a gig of ram HAHA!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #17
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mishi
btw if you get512 sticks you really dont need more than a gig of ram HAHA!
Good point.:big smile ....I just like to fill all the holes.

Quote:
Video card - PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128M =$268.00 -Alucard
damn, $268 :yikes: ..maybe I should just get the fx5900 for $295?

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 09-15-2003 at 10:12 PM.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:24 PM   #18
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Can anyone recommend a brand of cpu fans tend to make less noise?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:20 PM   #19
Alucard

The board will fit in any case. The you need to be a little careful with the FX5900. Alot of them have LOUD fans. I mean like turbine loud. Theres only 2 so far that are a little quieter. That would be the Leadtek for $329.00, and the much quieter better MSI $389.00.. So theres a bit of a price jump.

The best kind of CPU fan, well theres a few. You could probably go for the Volcano 11+ from Thermaltake, or just grab the Vantec Airflow. Whatever the new one is.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #20
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Im thinking of getting a new HD too, so I sell the one I have now with the computer it is in. Is there any particular brand you like or prefer? The one I have now is a Maxtor 40 GB ATA 133, and is about 6 months old.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #21
Mishi

if you want to play half-life 2 i'd go with the 9700

take a look at the charts.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863&p=1
Old 09-16-2003, 02:28 AM   #22
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Well I dont really want to play half life 2, so I guess I dont even need one of the really good graphic cards, (at least not until something I want to play comes out that needs it, like maybe Tribes 3?) So now I think Ill just get a fx 5600 or an ati 9600. Anything is better than my current Geforce 2.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:15 AM   #23
Seska

If you want to go with a HD brand, go with Seagate - they have excellent customer services and guarantee services. Not a single HD I have had of theirs over the past has broken doown, and the only one that did (entirely due to my fault - but its a long story) I sent in to have replaced - thats how their warranty works. You send them your defect/broken HD and they replace it with a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE or better one.

I sent them my 80gig one and got back a new 120. Yay Seagate!

Oh, and if I were you Id spend that extra bit more for ATI 9700 or a better FX card. Dont think of it as not wanting to play Half-Life 2, think of it as HL2 being the new engine we are going to see in the next generation of games, the same way Quake 3 was the main engine used for games for the past 3 years.

If you dont really care that mauch about great graphics on the upcoming games, get a Geforce 4 4200 ti (they are dirt cheap by now) and maybe a year down the line you can get a way better gfx card for HL2 and Doom 3 engine based games.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:39 AM   #24
Alucard

Seagate is the one I recommend also. And seriously, dont go for a 5600 if you're upgrading now. No point upgrading to a card thats technically almost 2 years old, but has a few extra features then the version before it. You may say you wont play HL2, but like Seska said, the engine will be in alot of games. Its going to be the standard thing. Otherwise stick with your geforce 2.

And dont worry about those benchmarks. nVidia claims the 50.-- detonators will be fixing the problem. I dunno, but we'll see at the end of the month. Plus the geforce cards play the Doom 3 engine better then the ATI ones. So its 50/50. Just go with the cheapest and powerful one. I'd say ATI.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #25
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

The reason I dont want to get a ATI9800 or FX5900 right now, is that by the time all those new games that support them come out, they might drop quite a bit in price. And I would stick with my GeForce 2, but I can barely play Tribes 2 on that plus many other games I wanna play right now. So I think Ill get a Geforce 4 because its really really cheap. How well would the Geforce 4 play the following games: Tribes 2, Diablo II, Battlefield 1942, C&c Generals, PlanetSide, and FFXI? These are games that I either have and dont run too well on my Geforce 2, and some are ones that I want to play.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:40 PM   #26
Alucard

Well thats the thing. A geforce 4 may be much cheaper, but those games will be out in the next couple months. If youhave enough money to buy a geforce 4 now and then sell it and buy an ATI9800 or such, then go for it. But it sounds kinda twitchy really. Cards dont drop in price because of games being released. They only drop if the next lot of powerful cards come along, and I'm not expecting this till next febuary. I would seriously say dont spend the extra money on a geforce 4.

As for would the card run those games, very easily. As long as your cpu is over 2gig you will be more then fine. Thats my current system at the moment and none of those games even jerk slightly.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:09 AM   #27
Seska

This is the card for you!

Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 AM   #28
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

I dont think I can afford that.

;)
Old 09-17-2003, 07:00 AM   #29
sin75

I read from a PC Chip magazine that did a test on hard disks brands and Western Digital got the best results, it reads and writes faster than other hard disks but slightly more expensive and abit noisy. Seagate was somewhere at the bottom of the top list. But I didn't trust those PC chip editors because their magazine is sponsored by Western Digital(so said the cover) and there's alot of Western Digital Hard Disk advertisement on it. But then I could be wrong.
sin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #30
Seska

I'm sure that technically they probably might be faster - but when it coems to actually using the HD, as long as you are getting a 7200rpm one, its not going to matter a heck of a lot. And I always prefer silence to crrrrnkkcrrrnkcrrrrrrrrnkkkk nosies coming from my Pc. ;) I ahve to put my ear right next to the PC to hear the HD working. Another reason why I like seagate!