The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

PC motion controls and Portal 2

Quote:
Exclusive Version of Portal 2 Developed for PC Motion Controller

Tom Goldman | 9 Jan 2011 6:31 pm

Filed under: tom goldman, bundle, exclusive, hydra, motion controller, motion gaming, pc, portal, portal 2, razer, razer hydra, sixense, valve

Valve has developed a special version of Portal 2 with exclusive content that can only be experienced using the Razer Hydra motion controllers.

Last year, Valve and Razer teamed up to display a demo of how Razer's "Ultra" motion controllers used Sixense technology to play Left 4 Dead 2. At CES 2011, the controllers have been rebranded as the Razer Hydra, but kept their Valve association in the form of exclusive Portal 2 levels and features.

The Hydra controllers are basically two gaming wands being designed to work with first-person shooters and other games. They're held in each hand and have their movements read through a base station that emits a six-foot electromagnetic field, so you don't have to make sure you're in front of a camera. The controllers are currently wired, but wireless models are in the works.

Razer is still figuring out the release of Hydra, but has already put together a Portal 2 bundle with Valve that will ideally cost under $100. The bundle will include an exclusive version of Portal 2 that supports Hydra and includes maps and mechanics created just for Razer's motion controllers.

Joystiq describes some of the mechanics that will see players scaling, stretching, and rotating cubes to create a bridge or shatter a glass floor. Players will also have to reshape and reposition portals, sometimes using Hydra to throw objects through them at various velocities. The abilities of Hydra are said to be "impressively" accurate.

To get an idea of how Hydra and Sixense work, Razer points to the following video that explains the motion controllers through play of Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Hydra is still under development, but it appears to have quite a bit of potential as a new control scheme. Will it improve upon the keyboard and mouse? For what it's worth, Valve seems to think so. It's definitely something to keep on your radar if you're a die-hard FPS fan and your wrists are starting to hurt.
For a hundred bucks I would buy the Portal 2 bundle. Looks like it could be a fun way to play pc games.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

It looks like a fun idea but I've played Wii and Kinect. I wouldn't pick them over the accuracy of a mouse.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I wouldn't have paid it much mind if Valve hadn't thrown their weight behind it.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Paper exe
Pwnd

As usual everyone is ripping off Nintendo. If there ever was a probable intellectual right law in the world we wouldn't have any computers other than Nintendo’s. The United Nation should grant them a trillion or two for their leading effort in creating and improving today technology.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote