The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Decado

Expect consoles to shackle PC gaming

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=169116

Personally, I've wondered about this among other effects of our new multiplatforming world.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Diavle

I foretell a Kangaroo in denial.

Last edited by Diavle; 07-30-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

As far as I care I'll wait and see how Dx10 does before I start to believe consoles will show it up.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Alucard

oh no PC gaming is dead. ITs actually not that acurate really. I mean sure getting games that look like Crysis will be rare. But theres alot of games that are getting simple DX10 patches. Even little known games. Half of what he says is fairly true, but I think the dx10 stuff will be pushed on alot faster.

Last edited by Alucard; 07-31-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Decado

...but only as minor improvements, which is his point.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Its to early to tell in my opinion. I think in time the average PC game will be better looking then the 360 ones. And even though Epic are developers, they also are just opinions. They been working under Microsoft to make Gears of War look as good as it does from the system's beta builds. So what else would one expect them to be saying? If you was to ask the makers of crysis what their thoughts are they probably tell you the same thing only in reverse. That consoles will be strangled by PC with DX10 games like theirs. We'll just have to wait and see.

But I will say this, once M$ releases their DX10 patch to the 360, the PC gaming platform will be DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!

Last edited by Reality; 07-31-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Alucard

DX10 PATCH OMGLOL

One thing we forget is usually the big companies like say Epic for example, they release a massive engine and everyone licenses it. So if they're making DX10 games, logic states the engine is already in DX10 mode so developers will just make them from the engine license instead of spending ages making a new one.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Is everyone forgetting that DX10 is dead soon. DX10.1 or the communitys name of DX11 will take over coming November with the release of the Nvidia 9800's.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
flowForth
Programmer

Rein's point is not that the graphics on consoles are going to be able to match the graphics of PCs, but rather it is going to be increasingly less viable to create really high end graphics/games on PCs - because consoles spin the most cash. He has a point - art assets are what's driving the costs of games development so high these days. His implication is that the PC industry is pushing super-powered, bleeding edge graphics too hard and too fast and driving up the costs even higher. Again, he has validity in what he is saying.

The Xbox graphics API is more along the lines of DirectX8/9 than DX10-based. It is also non-upgradeable, so there definitely won't be any DX10 abilities on the 360.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Alucard

Alot of that money doesnt go into just making the game. Theres craploads that publishers take and big director retards upper echelon demand higher pay. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Halo 3 costs waay more then unreal tournament 2007. Yet it'll be a massively inferior game in terms ot graphics, stage design, overall gameplay. Its not really about the game, but more who's making the game.

The Unreal 3 engine cost Epic around 40mill over the spam of 4 years. Their development team was like 25 people I think. Now its 70. Halo's team is like 300 or something stupid. Licensing the UT3 engine costs around 700k. By licensing the engine you pretty much save yourself years worth of wages from creating an engine and scripts and everything to make a game.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
The Unreal 3 engine cost Epic around 40mill over the spam of 4 years. Their development team was like 25 people I think.
That sounds grossly inflated.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Alucard

Dunno. Its the only figure listed at multiple places and hasnt changed since it was put up.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Alot of that money doesnt go into just making the game. Theres craploads that publishers take and big director retards upper echelon demand higher pay. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Halo 3 costs waay more then unreal tournament 2007. Yet it'll be a massively inferior game in terms ot graphics, stage design, overall gameplay. Its not really about the game, but more who's making the game.
It's not that I disagree, but the scope of my point was the cost of art assets (texturing, modeling, art tools, animation concept art and direction) versus everything else technical (programming, audio, testing, etc) - so I was not including factors that you mentioned. Art has been the become most expensive part of game making in this scope and it's no surprise. You can download Visual C++ and start programming your own game for free but if you want an effective art tool to model and texture - you're looking at $1800+ just for something like Maya or 3DStudio (both programs which no one can learn to master overnight). You can reuse code from previous engines or open-source, but it's harder to do that with art. Add to the fact that graphics technology has become exponentially more capable (DirectX9 gets updated bimonthly, DX10 is getting updated as well) and the costs begin to pile even higher.

We can eliminate most of the intermediary expenses you mentioned through digital distribution, and this will help offset the rising costs of art.

EDIT: As I stated, my original argument relied upon the implied assumption that Rein was talking purely about technical cost matters and not including extra costs of intermediaries. Rereading his comments, this assumption on my part is unsound, unreliable and dubious. As such, my comments should not be construed as considering the whole picture because they exclude factors on which the PC industry can cut back on costs and increase profitability (such as the intermediaries Alucard mentioned) while maintaining better graphics.

Last edited by flowForth; 08-02-2007 at 05:22 AM.
flowForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #14
flowForth
Programmer

Hmm - bulletin board went momentarily spastic.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #15
Alucard

Nothing better then a spastic board.