The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #61
Paper exe
Pwnd

Thank you Nem your reviews dose in fact help me
I was going to buy this game but I was just waiting for a trust worthy review and now I just had one. :cool guy:

And Suikoden 4 was another game that I was thinking of buying and you have made up my mind.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #62
Nem
Smash bro!

Im glad you're enjoying my reviews Paper. ^^

I wonder what you're gonna think of Suiko4 though. I confess my fanboyism might've inflated the final Rating a bit, but i did point out the big flaws the game has.

Last edited by Nem; 04-28-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #63
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Would you say Suikoden 4 is better then Suikoden 3, Nem?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #64
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
Would you say Suikoden 4 is better then Suikoden 3, Nem?
Yes. Suikoden 4 is more of a Suikoden experience than 3 was. Yet, 3 has the better storyline. Neither of them gets close to suiko2 though...
talking about it, Suikoden 2 will definitly be my next review^^

Last edited by Nem; 04-26-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #65
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Videogame

Platform: Playstation

Genre: traditional RPG

Suikoden 2

After seeing what they had accomplished with Suikoden, a surprise to many no doubt... Konami decided to make the good even better. Honestly, it seems like someone in Konami note-checked every area that had fell a bit short on Suikoden and decided to expand it in every way possible. And, to many gamers happyness Konami succeded on what it set out to do. And what an accomplishment this was. Sadly it was overshadowed by the FF7 RPG boom that occured at the time. Many were still capable to grab it, but most saved themselves for the wonderful amount of crap that was FF8. Hope their happy, since they only missed one of the best RPG's ever made and got one of the worst instead.

Suikoden 2 is has much of a 2D game has its prequal was. You're only going to see some polygons in the battles, that also mantain their basic Suikoden look. But, the difference is, everything is a notch better than what you had on Suikoden. Scenarios as well has characters and special effects were expanded and detailed this time around. Of course the character art also kept its quality, with the varied and interesting designs that were offered to every soul of relevance in the game. Interestingly enough, this time Konami decided to award the gamers with some short FMV's and an interesting intro with a mix of FMV and character art. Wonderful art direction no doubt.
The battle system is inaltered from its previous incarnation. Yet, new characters with new weapons and new Runes added a fresh touch to an already great combat system that is well versed in both speed of the battles and startegy when setting up your battle formation and equipment. Also worthy of notice, is the encounter rate in this game. I dont know how Konami did it, but the encounter rate seems perfect. You never feel like your beeing overworked, and you dont have to run around triggering additional battles.
If you thought Suikoden's story was short and you wanted an even more emersive and emotional storyline, pray to the Konami Gods and Goddesses that made this game possible. This time the story moves north of the Toran Republic/scarlet moon Empire into the City States of Jowston and Highland / Dunan and takes place a few years after the ending of Suikoden. In this game the story behind the genesis of the Suikoden World will be revealed to players has well has the True Rune that symbolizes it. The Rune of Beggining. The Rune of Beggining is composed by two half-runes. The half-rune of True Shield and the half-rune of True Sword. According to legend the Suikoden world was born from the clash of these two and fate has well has the will of the Rune will carve their way into the game.
Hero2 - your main character (wich you have to name) is the adoptive son of a City-State's was hero - Genkaku. Suikoden 2 will follow the path of hero2 and Jowy, his childhood friend has they are engulfed in the fires of war. An epic tale of friendship, family, sacrifice, hate and revenge that spans for 40 hours, improving vastly the first title's main issue. You will travel the city-states of jowston and you will shape your castle gathering the 108 starts of destiny, meet many of the previous titles favorite stars of destiny and even allow hero1 to join your entorage if you loaded your suikoden 1 save into suikoden 2. Yes, that means that you will return to the toran republic to go and get him. Indeed, a touch that every Suikoden sequal should have. Obviously the character development isnt left behind and each of the starts of destiny will have its own development.
The Soundtrack is even better than the one present on Suikoden 1. And that was already superb by itself! The game refines some of the Suikoden tunes and adds many new ones to build one epic soundtrack that would even be re-used in the Genso Suikogaiden titles that only came out in japan. Every type of music is done majesticly and sets the mood of the suikoden world has emersively has ever. Also expect to hear the series now trademark ending theme "Genso no Sekaie" once more. A great ending theme for every Suikoden game. It somehow makes you flashback the game you just played and its importance on the Suikoden Universe.

Its hard to do justice to such a fine game in words. The definite proof that Konami can provide a rock-solid RPG experience when they set out to do it. If only the 3D titles could reach these levels... the world could finally recognize the imense depht and greatness of the Suikoden Universe. Until then, Suikoden 2 sets itself apart has the example of what a great sequal is and has one of the best RPG experiences ever created. Undoubtibly deserving of maximum score in every RPG gamer review book. It sure does in mine.

Rating 10/10

Last edited by Nem; 04-27-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #66
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Good review. I hate it when companies take an awesome series and then wreck it with the newer installments, like Konami did with 3 & 4. I just don't get it. I mean, they have to know.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #67
Nem
Smash bro!

Im sure they do. At least thats the impression i get with Yuji Naka and the Sonic series. He just came out and said that Sonic is better in 2D. I just wish he had the nerve to do a new 2D title. I also wish he had the nerve to tackle the 3D version has long has it takes for it to be has good has the 2D games instead of pumping out half-assed efforts. The same can mainly be said about Konami and the Suikoden series. They just want to pump out every crazy ideia they get has a new game and use the selling potencial of established brands instead of making them faithful to their prequals. In the end, perfectly good brands get ruined.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #68
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Hope their happy, since they only missed one of the best RPG's ever made and got one of the worst instead.
I missed both in that way every one can be happy.

Note-It sound like another masterpiece from Konami I just wish that they release it here instead of these FF titles that they keep releaseing it.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #69
Nem
Smash bro!

when you say "here", do you mean europe? Cause the game was released in europe too it just had zero marketing. Suikoden 3 was the only suiko that missed PAL release (if you forget the suikogaiden titles that is).
Old 04-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #70
gearhound
Versus the World

i adore suikoden. playing that game for the first time was really great.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:40 AM   #71
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
when you say "here", do you mean europe?
I meant my country.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #72
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
i adore suikoden. playing that game for the first time was really great.
I know what you mean. My story with the suiko series was pretty interesting too. I held out into buying Suikoden and after much resisting i ended up buying suiko2. Yep, suiko2 was the first one i played. Needless to say that after playing it i was hysterical about how great it was. Had to go buy suiko1 and finish it. And then finish suiko2 again. It might sound boring to some, but i had the utmost gaming pleasure out of replaying suiko2^^ (I still do )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
I meant my country.
Oh! I thought you lived in Europe
Old 04-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #73
Paper exe
Pwnd

Nem,did you forgot about reviewing anime?
I am not saying that you should or anything but is your reviews will becomes for games only?

Quote:
Oh! I thought you lived in Europe.
I live in a tiny weak and small country that can hardly be seen in the world map not only that but my country people are less then a million but my country have a lot of cars accident and that because of the small roods and those idiots teenagers and young men that I think they should all be punished or kicked out of the country because they dose not deserve to live in a beautiful small country like this.
On top of all that in this country they don?t do all Islam rules which something that I for one cannot accept not only that they even don?t give woman?s all the rights that they should get in Islam religion. :thumbdn:

So what country do I live in?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #74
Nem
Smash bro!

I have no ideia. Im not knowladgeble with the islam. I can make a few shots though. Quatar? Singapure?

About my reviews. I havent given up on anime and book reviews. Its just that besides lack of free time i havent been feeling like it . Also seems like videogame reviews are more popular around these parts . Anyways you can always sujest me to review a series you're interested or curious in. If i have watched it, ill review it.

Last edited by Nem; 04-30-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #75
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
I have no ideia. Im not knowladgeble with the islam. I can make a few shot though. Quatar?
................. you are right.