The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Rubeus

Super Smash. Bros Ultimate is not a port, Nintendo says: it's 'a brand new game

I think this is the result of Super Smash Bros "fatigue", window is too short to the last game, and lack of innovative elements.

Click for full size

Quote:
Super Smash. Bros Ultimate is not a port, Nintendo says: it's 'a brand new game built from the ground up'

Sakurai's 'Are you Happy Now' Edition

After the Smash Ultimate Direct aired, a lot of folks had already gotten over the hype and were accusing Nintendo of porting the Wii U edition, adding a few characters and stages, and calling it a day. But it seems like they did a lot more than just a port job.

Speaking to USGamer, Nate Bihldorff, localization manager at Nintendo, confirmed that as well as "significant" texture updates, that it's a "new game built from the ground up." He shares that Nintendo doesn't think of the series as a bunch of sequels, but rather "new Smash Bros. games." Bihldorff explains that in order to really see the new engine at work you need to look at the little nuances, like the lighting in a certain stage or character interaction differences. He backs up the "tens of thousands of changes" comment from Sakurai.

So while that isn't going to sate a lot of you who feel like it's re-using assets, the fact is, Nintendo is saying that it's a brand new project and not just a Wii U port. We settled it [out of Smash]! The myriad changes to the core cast have already sold me and back up the sentiment of this being a whole new thing.

https://www.destructoid.com/super-sm...--508245.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

So "brand new game" is how we call updates now?
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

I won't tell you the discussions i'm having in another forum about this. I'm sick of it.

Nintendo fans think they can redefine terms whenever they feel like it. It's infuriating.

This is simple. You either go with what publishers say and whatever they say is a sequal is, despite the product, or you go the realistic route and classify things as what they are.
Smash Ultimate is an ultimate version of Smash on WiiU. Same base game, with touched up graphics, characters, moves and mechanics.
No different from Ultra Street Fighter 4.

But, it's Nintendo. The rules bend for it. God i hate fanboys!