The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-16-2004, 05:40 AM   #121
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Good thing about Naruto (like Inuyasha) compared to other super long series's there's a lot of character development which helps and honestly always seems pretty fresh.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #122
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpingcat

....and screw naruto .
I like your style already

Ive gotten through the first 9 episodes of S-Cry-ed (taking my time wiht this one, dont want another berserk accident) It seems like it will be an awesome show.

As for NGE, i own the 8-DVD box and have probally wtached it like 10 times through (skipping a few episodes here and there) I really dont like how alot of the angels look in that series. Does Rahxephon have better looking enemies?

Also NGE focused more on story and like the last 5-10 minutes on battles. Is Rahxephon more action oriented, or is it like NGE.

Also anyone who doesnt mind 13-episode series should really go check out SoulTaker. Its quite cool, and nobody ever talks about it.

If hellsing was alittle longer, it wouldnt save it. That show only had one really cool character. (there twin sword using guy) The vampire girl was pretty cool also, but sh never did anything. I dunno, that show didnt appeal to me, but i have odd tastes

Samurai X/Rouruni Kenshin: i dont really like those either. The begining of Rouruni Kenshin was cool, until he didnt want to kill anyone anymore. LAME. The guy, Suronosuke, or whatever with the 40ft long sword was cool, until he just punched people cuz his sword broke.

Noir is another awesome anime. Though there wasnt really blood, might have just been my DVD or something, but that really killed it. Would easily be the best anime if there was blood (i know it sounds bad but trust me, when people get shot in the face by a pistol, and the main character walks over the dead body, and it shows the face perfectly normal everyone would say WTF)

Just my $0.02
Old 08-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #123
naruto_sensei
O N E P I E C E

I don't know what you're talking about... kenshin is like a classic.
hellsing's last few episodes bored me to death. I seriously thought the last three episodes were like hour long specials or something ....
the first season of naruto (about 20 eps) is really awsome but the rest is not so great...
naruto_sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #124
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

I haven't watched Eva but RahXephon does focus more on story then mech battles. As for the enemies, I liked the designs because they were different then most mech shows. Although the RahXephon's design is not as unique as that of some enemies.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #125
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
If Raxeaphon is as good as Decado says (as he is a respectable member of this community) i will have to check it out. I had only strayed away from it becuase every says its a NGE clone, and follows the same story.
Like Renegade said, R is definately not a NGE clone. I watched the NGE TV series...barely. I thought it started out somewhat promising but got pretty boring. I FF through the last 3+ episodes. So lame. I swear, there isn't 1 likeable or even interesting character in that entire anime. The overall concept is all the anime had going for it (IMO).

Quote:
gabriel,

Anime is one of those things that's pretty cool, but has such a dreadful fan-base, that I can't really get into it/take it seriously.
What do you mean? I only got into anime earlier this year, so I really haven't checked out the "scene" much.

Quote:
Is there anything out there that matches the calibre of Trigun/Cowboy Bebop?
Yeah. Last Exile, RahXephon and Kenshin (AOV is *much* better than the TV series, IMO). Last Exile could very well even be better (haven't watched it all yet, though), IMO.

Outlaw Star is kind of a cross between Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Not as good as either, IMO, but still very entertaining thusfar (seen about the first 10 episodes).

If you like Naruto, you may enjoy One Piece (probably the two anime I'm surprised I like). I've seen around 10 episodes of it and it has been pretty funny. While the anime are quite different themselves, the humour is very well done.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #126
Decado

Never heard of the RahXephon movie. If it is just footage off the TV episodes I guess it doesn't matter.

I enjoyed Hellsing. Didn't really take it too seriously, though. Simple entertainment.

Has anyone else seen Love Hina? I saw the first episode and thought the running gag was really lame. I hear the series is exceptionally good, but now I'm not so sure.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #127
Freeman

So I get that no-one knows the name of that anime where there's this girl who has a small blue diamond/gem/ruby and her father is the captian of a submarine that is trying to stop this WAY evil organisation that wants to rule the world, and it's main HQ is an airship, and ALL of them are wearing creepy unhappy masks?
Well, doesn't anybody?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #128
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
Never heard of the RahXephon movie. If it is just footage off the TV episodes I guess it doesn't matter.
The tagline for the box is that it's still a love story but not the same love story. They just explore Ayato and Haruka's relationship and it ends very differently then the series ends. There's also a little bit more of an explanation about the head of the Bahbem Foundation. Overall, it's a rewrite of the show which leads to a different conclusion. Although, I didn't really like the conclusion or some of the new things they threw in there that contradict the show, I'd still recommend the movie for one reason alone; you get to see Haruka and Ayato in high school and they toss in Hiroko as well. You can sort of guess where that would lead. Sadly, that new footage is at best, four minutes long.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #129
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Comment on the enemy monsters in NGE:

First of all, judging by the way the show was, I think the creators wanted to forego the stereotypical Japanese cast of monsters that we've seen since Ultraman. It's always a giant sea creature, a giant dinosaur, a giant alien, a giant robot, or a giant ninja. I mean, come on...they had to try to distance themselves from every other Giant Robot vs. Giant ______ show before it. So I think the enemy design they were going for was to side-step the norm but still poke fun at it.

Second, according to the storyline, they were following a rough pattern with the monsters. I'll admit that it's not really that evident if you study the progression of each monster, but final episodes proclaim it so- the Angels kept coming back with a creature that knew something more about the humans than the previous Angel.

So, the first Angel was just a primitive box that would fly in and try to drill its way down to the center. But they got smarter and more adaptive with each new Angel attack. They were getting more and more features and abilities. Then one of the final Angels just went ahead and tried to read Asuka's mind (while BLASTING that music...). But if I remember correctly, that Angel wasn't defeated, it just went back up to space, with that information from Asuka's brain.

The resulting Angel was the final one, Kaoru. This Angel finally had a human appearance. He looked remarkably like a cross between Shinji and Rei (because those were the two people that the Angel read out of Asuka's mind?). Who knows what else that Angel pulled out of Asuka's psyche. AND Kaoru is portrayed as being gay...only because as a simple copy of a human, he has no concept of gender preference, he is just trying to imitate love on the first person he sees.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:33 AM   #130
Freeman

So nobody knows about it sigh!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #131
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:

First of all, judging by the way the show was, I think the creators wanted to forego the stereotypical Japanese cast of monsters that we've seen since Ultraman. It's always a giant sea creature, a giant dinosaur, a giant alien, a giant robot, or a giant ninja. I mean, come on...they had to try to distance themselves from every other Giant Robot vs. Giant ______ show before it. So I think the enemy design they were going for was to side-step the norm but still poke fun at it.

Second, according to the storyline, they were following a rough pattern with the monsters. I'll admit that it's not really that evident if you study the progression of each monster, but final episodes proclaim it so- the Angels kept coming back with a creature that knew something more about the humans than the previous Angel.

So, the first Angel was just a primitive box that would fly in and try to drill its way down to the center. But they got smarter and more adaptive with each new Angel attack. They were getting more and more features and abilities. Then one of the final Angels just went ahead and tried to read Asuka's mind (while BLASTING that music...). But if I remember correctly, that Angel wasn't defeated, it just went back up to space, with that information from Asuka's brain.

The resulting Angel was the final one, Kaoru. This Angel finally had a human appearance. He looked remarkably like a cross between Shinji and Rei (because those were the two people that the Angel read out of Asuka's mind?). Who knows what else that Angel pulled out of Asuka's psyche. AND Kaoru is portrayed as being gay...only because as a simple copy of a human, he has no concept of gender preference, he is just trying to imitate love on the first person he sees.

And thus we see why NGE is great... you see I could have a totally different vision from what you have. NGE is just one big frickin' crate of red herrings. Unless you've watched NGE at least twice episode 1 to 26 (or possiblely substituing episodes 25 and 26 with the movies) you really can't get NGE fully. It's meant to ask questions about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the story.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #132
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

I think I'm one of the few people that likes the series' ending more so than the movies, although they were cool to watch.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #133
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
Has anyone else seen Love Hina? I saw the first episode and thought the running gag was really lame. I hear the series is exceptionally good, but now I'm not so sure.
Pretty good. Infact its really the only comedy based Anime i have watched. Made me laugh alot, which is hard for a TV show to do.

I have almost finished Scryed now. The show seemed to be better at the begining then where i am now. I hope the 6 final episodes are sweet, and im experiencing the typical middle of series slowdown that happens in Animes.

I have also decided to give Rahxephon a try, though i cant find the complete series for less than $60, so i am gonna wait for awhile.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #134
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:

Its true about the Angles adaptations and everything, but an Angel in the shape os a giant daddy-long legs with 40 eyes they drop acid out of them...

LAME

I thought the first angel, i guess the second (though they were really 3 and 4) the angel that was in the ocean, the angel that could split in two, and the angel with the paper for arms were the only cool ones. the rest just suced and almost ruined the whole experience, but thats just coming from me

As for Kouru, i dont like him becuase he was gay..
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #135
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade X
And thus we see why NGE is great... you see I could have a totally different vision from what you have. NGE is just one big frickin' crate of red herrings. Unless you've watched NGE at least twice episode 1 to 26 (or possiblely substituing episodes 25 and 26 with the movies) you really can't get NGE fully. It's meant to ask questions about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the story.
oh i understand why they look that way, but their adaptations are so random. they could have done the same adaptations with better models. I also forgot to mention that the Angel that took over Eva3 is the coolest. That was probally my favortie episode.