The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
should I get the ATI Radeon X1600 Pro AGP 512MB?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

I've been eyeing a new video card for a very long time now and this isn't a to bad of a price for a brand new one, I was going to get a 256mb radeon card, but I know almost nothing of cards and if I get it from here in Canada, *note its in canadian prices too* I don't have to pay till the summer also but this sale ends on the 9th, so I want to know if this is a good card, or if the other ones on the futureshop website are better.

please recommend!

urge to get new card to replace crappy card RISING!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

There are better cards for that price. 12 pixel-pipelines...ewww
Dont be fooled by the 512 RAM, it adds way too much to the price without adding benefits for a year or so, and by then your card will probally suck.

Please Tell me if you have PCI or AGP please.

Also is Canadian Dollars half US? so the card is like $175?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
Alucard

The X1600 isnt too powerful. And yes, ignore the 512mb versions. The increase in texture detail is too little to be worth the price. I'd be more inclined to recommend a Geforce card however.

And yeah, PCI-E or AGP, thats important to know what your motherboard is. Also cpu speed would be brilliant to know.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

I'd also like to upgrade my AGP 9800XT since it's finally crapping out on me, but I'm having trouble finding a good AGP card for a good price, because I really don't feel like buying a new motherboard. Any suggestions? If not, I'm going to RMA this sucker, because it's still under warranty!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Alucard

I would recommend RMA'ing it and saving up money for an upgrade around August since thats one of the times the PC market goes into discount mode. Since AGP is being phased out, you'll need to go pci-e. Which means new motherboard and new cpu. Dont forget that you CAN sell your older PC parts for a bit of money. Or just keep them as a second system for minor things like backup internet system or whatever.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

Yeah, this motherboard is so stable, I just don't feel like upgrading to pci-e just yet. But I guess I'll have to sooner or later if I to experience the nex-gen pc games. RMA it is!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Alucard

Gotta remember AGP is fairly old technology. Been around for 15-20 years or whatever. Maybe more!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Finalizer

Pah! You and your anti-AGP banter! It's still plenty strong; the graphic chip makers are simply phasing it out to help their motherboard chipset sales!

Regardless, it would be handy to know what kind of motherboard/processor/RAM, etc you have. Go to start, run, and type in dxdiag, and copy/paste the results here. It should give us all the info needed.

In any case, I myself would recommend the following:

nVidia- Either a 6600GT or 6800GS, depending on how much you want to spend.
ATi- X800GTO, probably their best mid-range product in terms of price to preformance. If you're on PCI-E, you may be able to find a GTO2 somewhere...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
AGP, thats why I posted a AGP card

and yeah thats what I figured about the card, but I wanted to make sure cause I don't anything about 3D cards.

post some cards that run on AGP thats good and yeah thats in Canadian price, so its like 250 USD.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
Alucard

I'm not anti-agp. My system has one, the 6800GT. Unfortunately you'll notice the 6800 is the last line of AGP thats on the market for nvidia. The 7800 is pci-e and so is the upcoming 7900. I hope to make my card last another 2 years with luck. Already had it for 1.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
Anthrax

I would go for the 7800gt or gtx (best bang for the buck imo). If you're one of those hardcore ati ppl, then x1800 whatever revision bundle.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
spider-prime

ah cool, I will look those up, thanks Anthrax

I usually just buy ATI just cause I have the most experience from them, but if theres something better, I will check it out.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Alucard

As I said, 7800 only comes in pci-e. If you want AGP you're relegated to last gen cards.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
spider-prime

well then tell me a card that is AGP thats good.

I don't know anything about the cards, which is why I'm asking, cause I want to upgrade, but I probably won't be getting a new motherboard for PCI-E any time soon, so I still want a AGP card

I probably won't get another motherboard for at least another 3 years or more.

unless my computer's current motherboard gets fried or something.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I had no idea AGp was being phased out. My stuff is so old I think I would need a whole new system.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a MB/Ram/CPU/GPU combo?
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote