The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Vegetto
Alive

removing programs from the add remove control panel

a while back Nero express wouldnt load up anymore, I cant reinstall it and it wont let me remove it from the add remove area, says an error accurs, well nero takes up alot of damned mem so I went and just deleted the folder, its still on the add remove list tho and sometimes the weirdest damned thing happens
sometimes when im doing stuff like installing some new program, nero will pop up and say that its trying to install and it'll screw up the program im trying to install, and I cant install it cuz it'll just keep popping up.

I dont want to friggin reformat and use my boot discs dammit but I have no idea what else to do, I figured it may be a registry thing so I got all these restry fixing programs but Nero still is plaguing me.

any tips and any good registry programs? preferably freeware?
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Since you are using Windows, I think you need to boot into DOS or SAFE MODE or some such nonsense like that in order to remove the program completely. Have you looked at the task manager? If it has a component that is running, it won't let you delete it. Try force quitting it and then deleting it. If that fails then buy a new computer.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 AM   #3
Seska
Slurp

Just reinstall nero, and then uninstall it from the Add/Remove program list. Deleting a folder directly without proper uninstalling is generally a bad idea.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Alucard

He already said he cant reinstall it. Deleting folders of things that arent uninstalled properly is not the best thing to do if you want your system to work properly. Try this and see if it works. Its a program called UninstallDummy. Does wonders for programs that hate you.

www.dummysoftware.com
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
Vegetto
Alive

thanks for the link Alucard ...but um...

Old 07-20-2005, 02:44 AM   #6
Hallucinus

i own a mac. all i have to do is drag the program to the trash
Old 07-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
Alucard

Well aint that an amusing error.. hmm... Ok do this for me. Go to START... RUN... Then type msconfig and press enter. You should get this spiffy new window that loads up with a bunch of tabs on the top. Now click on the STARTUP tab and you should have a stack of things here.

This is an excellent thing right here. Some programs have startups that are tricky to have NOT startup and therefore makes your system load up heaps slower. This is where you can tweak stuff and make things better. But you need to make sure you untick the RIGHT stuff. Like if I see microsoft office in there I untick the bastard. Or if you use AVG virus scanner, you can untick them aswell. Look through and untick nerocheck and any other nero stuff there. Also if you see anything you think you can do without it loading up, untick that aswell. By that I mean like msn or some other program, not something windows related or your system WILL explode. Use the middle bar to see the pathway of each thing so you know whats what.

After you do that then press APPLY and your system will want to reset. Once it loads back up it'll give you a little window. I forget exactly here but I think you press no so you dont get the window again on each startup. If it appears again on next startup, use your reading skills cause my memory is vague without seeing the window. Then see if you can get rid of nero.

I dont know if this will work, but I'm sure it'll speed your system up on startup.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
Vegetto
Alive

wow this is new.... thats awesome... however I dont see anything that looks like Nero

top part

lower part

any recommendations on what to uncheck?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:38 AM   #9
Alucard

gah, why cant things ever go smoothly. Best you go over to the nero website and look through their forums for troubleshooting information.

As for what to remove, its a bit tricky without seeing what the COMMAND line is...I'd go for... Damn I'm not sure about a couple things...

AVGCC
AVGEMC
Those ones with the X83, I'm guessing its tied in with a Lexmark printer program?
ituneshelper, I'm guessing is just part of a music program?
zlclient looks a bit sus. Whats it from?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
Vegetto
Alive

ah yes they are lexmark, damn your good, ZL would be Zone Alarm, my firewall

and wouldnt unclicking the AVGs make AVG not start up when I get online?

thanks Alucard
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #11
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
i had a system crash not long ago which took out about 45% of my files and programs, the funny thing is half of the other programs worked totally fine, just they dont register in add/remove anymore lol.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Alucard

It depends how often you're on the net and what exactly you're doing. If you arent surfing at dodgy places then you dont really need it. Especially if you have microsofts antispyware program running. Whenever you download something just right click and scan it before using it if you're worried and didnt get it from a reliable place. No point running the stuff since it eats up cpu and memory power.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
id like you to meet my little friend http://virusscan.jotti.org/ he sure knows what to do.
i use teh site for anything under 2mb's which are mostly hacks to view em to see any possible virus are consistent within the file downloaded.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
justin_credible

Is there a way to get a fresh 30 days trial on Nero? I've tried to uninstall/reinstall but it still shows expired. I don't wanna buy the stupid thing.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #15
B.B. Gambini
Banned

just look for a nero crack on limewire, but whatever you do, dont look for it on the web, you'll get RAPED by spyware, forced me to buy a new comp in the end...which is a good thing...
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote