The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Is a 512kb braodband internet connection fine for gaming??

tonite or next week i'm upgrading my internet from 56k to 512k internet.

my question is will 512 run multiplayer high end games like doom3 with ease with no lags and all that.

does it even use a fraction of that??

i'm looking to turn into a hardcore PC/ internet gamer and want to start collecting all the PC games ive missed as suggested on these forums including newer games too and am panicking that high end games wont work well if not at all on 512.

the 1MB packages are total ripoffs here in the uk- you can buy cheap 1mb easily- but they only offer cheap 1mb with 1gb maximum download which is the most gayest sales scam ive seen so far.

if you want 1mb unlimited then here you can expect to pay an extra 2 fifths the cost. hence why 512 looks attractive.....

anyone had any problems??

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Newtype

128k was good for me so I shouldn't see any problems with 512k.

By the way how much is this 512?
Newtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
ovejon

512kbps is good enough for internet gaming. I have that same speed and I can play fine in various servers. Keep this in mind, I can play FINE which does not mean lag free cuz I experience them once in a while. It all depends on the ping you get in a server. Someone with better knowledge should expand on this.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
FinalSolace2

yeah i'm starting to understand what ping is now- i had alot of good pings with commache 4 which is good i know- so i guess its down to the server i guess.

the prive i will be paying is ?17.99 per month
=
33.06382 US Dollars

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Newtype

512k for ?17.99 isn't bad at all, the 1 MB one which I'm assuming is the NTL/BT is really bad..it's like 3 gigs a month or something well the NTL one is anyway.

At the end you'll definitely have no problems with that connection.
Newtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Sounds fine
Your 1mb seems like a total drag
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
4mbit 5ms server joins
Old 05-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #8
Alucard

What you need to remember is that your downloading speed isnt the final factor on how well your ping will be. The all important one is upload. Thats the important one. You not only recieve information, but in multiplay games you are sending it, so depending how fast it gets to the server is how quickly your bullet will hit the other player.

To get the best possible ping you will need to play on local servers or the game servers your ISP runs. If you're running cable with a 512k connection, your upload will most likely be 25k or 50k or whatever. You'll find people who play on Cable connections will have a much better ping, so they will have an advantage. Its a bit annoying, but after you learn the art of spray and hope, it evens things up against cable users.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 AM   #9
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Its a bit annoying, but after you learn the art of spray and hope, it evens things up against cable users.

well.. seems ill have to duck and pray you miss... like a 56ker...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #10
AshKetchum

My friend plays CSS on aol 56k and he has no problems. If you are not a ping whore, it won't bother you.
AshKetchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #11
Alucard

Then your friend either dies more then everyone else and gets few kills, plays with hacks to make it even, or plays with people who cant play too well. On my ISP game servers, 56kers get obliterated pretty often by the cable users. Its no fun shooting and knowing your bullet is going to reach its destination 3 seconds later then theirs.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #12
FinalSolace2

turns out now that i'm getting a 1mb connection

I said to the IP that i'm signed with that i'm moving to an alternitive IP- so now they have offered to give me 1mb for 3 pounds more than 512- i hate them now though for being crooked ****s and putting me through the trouble of looking around for a better deal.

so i'm saving 5 poundss overall per month which is just about exeptional 19.99 cant complain- maybe they are planning a price cut across the network soon.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSolace2
turns out now that i'm getting a 1mb connection

I said to the IP that i'm signed with that i'm moving to an alternitive IP- so now they have offered to give me 1mb for 3 pounds more than 512- i hate them now though for being crooked ****s and putting me through the trouble of looking around for a better deal.

so i'm saving 5 poundss overall per month which is just about exeptional 19.99 cant complain- maybe they are planning a price cut across the network soon.

What's your up?
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #14
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
What's your up?
should be average figure i guess- not sure but i doubt its worth passing up this deal-

whats a normal figure or good figure?

i doubt they would change it because of the cheaper deal or restrict that- otherwise i would sue theyre asses.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #15
jelloblimp

If its dsl your up-speed is (usually) 1/10 of your download speed, check your contract for download limits (tiscali & spray always have) & other paragraphs for support/technical issues.

On my first 512kb connection I had 2gb download limit then you pay per mb (tiscali) & that was almost useless (most game demos are 500mb).
I had also trouble with connecting to some IP:s that neither I or tiscali support could figure out (although the support response was "nope everythings working").

(The IP:s I could not connect to on the tiscali connection are all owned/registered by NCSoft).
jelloblimp is offline   Reply With Quote