The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Alucard

Halo 2 and Shadowrun Vista problems!

Hey I got an idea! I need to release a game but I'm not sure on what...Whats that? Put it on a new OS thats buggy and dont let it support older OS's? BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Heres the awesome shadowrun

Quote:
Shadowrun, FASA Studios' arena shooter, is finally in stores, and we can't play the PC version. It's not for lack of effort - we spent hours trying to get the thing to connect to Live on a Vista rig with no luck. Once the game is installed it requires you to create an Xbox Live ID or sign in with an existing one. We have one, but after signing in with the correct information it just wouldn't let us connect. After fiddling with firewall and network port settings, we still couldn't get in. Whether this is a widespread issue or a problem with our own rig and network setup isn't clear, as we're not omniscient. It is the reason we can't bring you cross-platform impressions, however.
Now heres the funnier Halo 2

Quote:
During recent testing of Halo 2, a game developed by Microsoft and built exclusively for Vista, several issues were found. Vista's User Account Control (UAC), a security feature intended to make the OS safe, has become the number one most hated new feature. As the UAC tries to verify every program, in some cases numerous times, with an endless barrage of highly annoying "Do you want to install/run this program" windows. Virtually every power user and gamer deactivates the UAC within 5 minutes after installing Vista.. Sadly, it requires the UAC be enabled in order for Halo 2 to operate. Furthermore, the game will not run until one completes the registration for a Games for Windows - Live! account (more on this later). Simply bypassing the process causes the game to shut down.
I love it. You need to let the game annoy you during installation AND have a Live account to play these games. Why would PC gamers sign up to live for multiplayer? You're trying a little too hard there microsoft. You're gonna screw yourself if you keep forcing publishers/developers to stick to these guidelines when releasing games for the PC. Quotes are from the einsteins at IGN.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Now if only Macs could play games better than this.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Yeah really. Linux/Ubutu seem to be the way to go. but the just sadly do not have the software I need. So I'm still stuck with windows.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I should get my copy of Halo 2 Vista tomorrow. I'll post how my experience goes with setting the game up and signing onto live.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

That's not an issue with the OS at all, just the choice they have in coding (making the game require the UAC to be active in order to run, as well as the poor implementation of Live. Despite the hate, I've still yet to have any issues running Vista, but then again, maybe my system's penis is big enough, and so it can satisfy Vista's needs without any issues.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I've had plenty of problems with vista. From psu to steam, hell even Cov. Fuck even aim... alll sorts of problems. Can you actually believe i just got a blue screen just for running steam? A blue screen? I never saw a blue screen on xp ever. I always had xp running it never ever crashed as hard as vista has for me to the point where I had to reset. wtf! I think at this point i'm going back to xp. I think with vista m$ has another WinME on their hands. Good luck to them.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Reko8

All of these windows game are requiring Vista, are future ones gonna be the same? Especially, Age of Conan, anyone know if that one requires Vista cause if it does, my dreams will be broken
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Alucard

No chance. Seems only specific titles are getting vista only. By the time games come out ONLY for vista we'll all pretty much have the OS by then. I'm talking year or so down the track. I plan to get it at the end of the year if it looks like everything has been ironed out.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Decado

I think I'd set up a dual boot machine. I think it will be many years (if ever) before compatibility is decent enough.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Reko8

That's good, cause Vista isnt a very stable OS for games yet.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #11
Vegetto
Alive

shadowrun looked boring
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reko8
All of these windows game are requiring Vista, are future ones gonna be the same? Especially, Age of Conan, anyone know if that one requires Vista cause if it does, my dreams will be broken
Age of Conan (which I'm also really pumped about) will have a direct x9 and direct x10 version. Obviously you'll need Vista for the DX10 version. But you could get by without it if you wanted.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Apparently shadow run has 9 maps, 2 game modes, and that's about it. Seriously what a waste of effort.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #14
Havoc2049

I didn't think Halo 2 Vista would sell that well, but it looks like Halo fever has struck again. I can't believe how many freakin' people are playing this online. I picked up my copy today at EB at around 1:00PM. Walked up to the counter, asked for my game and gave my name to the sales person. The dude opened up one of the deep draws behind the counter and there was a stack of like 10 Halo 2 Vista pre-orders! I was only expecting to see like two or three. The local lan gaming center by my house is also having a big Halo 2 Vista tournament this weekend, with cash prizes and other gifts. Crazy!

One thing you need to know about Vista, is that you have to set up your games as the administrator or else you can't access downloads and updates, because of all the security features in Vista. Then the downloads and updates are no problem. The tools in the original post(IGN, go figure), probably didn't know that. You have to stop the auto-install, open up the specific game folder, right-click on the install icon and select the, "Administrator" installation option. Easy.

Anyways, signing into Windows Live was an easy one step process, as I already have a live account. Typed in my email address and password and then there was a small automatic update and restart and I was logged in and gaming online.

Live isn't that different from other online PC gaming services really. Like Gamespy for example. If all you want to do is get your frag-on online, it's free. Gamespy also offers a premium service as well, that you have to pay for, if you want friends list, IM features and other extra features. A Live Silver account is free and that's all you really need, unless you want friends lists, IM features, chat rooms, Achievement Points, etc. The multiplayer in these GFW Vista games is just like any other online multiplayer PC game.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
Havoc2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriYagami n8
I've still yet to have any issues running Vista, but then again, maybe my system's penis is big enough, and so it can satisfy Vista's needs without any issues.
Quoted for truthfullness!!

The minimum specs for these Vista games is pretty damn high. If you don't come armed with a duo-core, 7800 or higher graphics card and 2+MB of RAM, don't even bother. Vista is a system hog.