The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #16
memory to zack

After watching the trailer I got high hopes for the Witcher. +2 for the fact that they lean to deep character development and constrain you from exploring everything from the beginning. This will make it exactly the opposite of elder scrolls: oblivion, thus a true pc RPG. The downside though that I found, after watching some combat trailers, is that battles are not as spectacular as the screens show and they aren t anything special really. Its the regular single player pc battle system with quick *clicks*, *clicks* to overrun your enemies. That s fast-paced? Everybody is stunned by its battle system, but honestly I find it so-so. Just watch some combat trailers and you ll see for yourself.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Alucard

Oh no, its completely not clickclick. Depending on direction you move when you clck the mouse, yuo pull out different attacks. The character combat is deep.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

While the quality of the clip looks watered and faded, it gives a great example of the combat if you listen to the guy. Theres other clips that show it in motion and it looks like the screens if you zoom in instead of stay out. Watch the clip and tell me your desire for the game doesnt jump 10 fold.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
memory to zack

Don t know why, but the video of the link didn t work for me. So I went to youtube and watched 3 videos.

The first one showed different aspects of the world and the weather, water effects are brilliant and runs smoothly. The day-night circle is so beautiful and they even bothered making a wonderful movement of the clouds. The whole mechanic behind the weather is as real. At one moment, the inventory menu came up and I was displeased to see that they didn t bother making something better than all the rest pc RPGs. Whenever you open a menu in pc RPGs, they always pop up in the middle of the screen and that s so frustrating. Sure you can position them in a corner and they ll open up there from now on, but what happens when you have many menus? It just saddens me they didn t bother finding a better idea for the menus.

The second video was about combat, not close up. The dev was speaking in polish so I couldn t figure out how it worked. Good thing were the different attack techs Geralt uses, magic animation is good and you really get in the heat of battle. Don t kow how magic is implemeted, but I m always dissatisfied how casting magic is done in single player RPGs and Fable had the worst one. What I could understand is that you click in one of the circles and the speel is casted. So far so good, but what happens when you have over 10 different spells? Unless the spells get upgraded which I believe would the right thing to do, because with too many spells to chose you get lost. Good thing that they don t seem to use the f1-f12 tabs, because they are so cheap. Again, I don t know if its going to be always like that, but the mobs and enemies appeared out of nowhere, something common in single player RPGs, which I really don t like. Sure its logical that someone ambushes you, but not everytime though. I would have preferred if they used the wasd key instead of the mouse for movement, but that would displease most people. The reason for that is that I dislike constant click click so much. Indeed, actual combat needs only one click, definitely good, but in order to avoid and encircle enemies you have to click click constantly. However this particular action would have been worse with the wasd keys, so I guess they did the right choice. Imo, the most viable would have been the analog stick, but if this game was developed for consoles too it would displease the blind purists.

The third video was a compilation of close-up combat in various dungeons and it was far more impressive. Geralt s techs really showed off. It didn t show though any magic, nor was the combat menu up. A shame though, because I wanted to see the whole combat mechanic from close. If you find an appropriate, just tell me.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Decado

New interview:

http://www.gameshark.com/home/316/p_...-Interview.htm
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #20
Alucard

ok heres the normal link

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1053

If that doesnt work then just do a search on witcher at the site. The clip you want is halfway down and labelled E3 Combat ShowJun 13, 2006 with a big 8.4 beside it and the file is 58megs. Make sure to manually download it and not watch it through the website. I've found the straming sometimes go spastic.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote