The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #31
Vegetto
Alive
 
Vegetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,392
on a related note, just got back from LAND OF THE DEAD
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 PM   #32
Hallucinus
Registered User
 
Hallucinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 395
was it any good? im interested
__________________
how long could this really go on?
some things need testing...
Hallucinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:33 AM   #33
Izzy
Rofl Waffle
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 78
So if you could kill a person and leave them dead for awhile and then bring them to life. Couldnt they come back and tell us that god doesnt exist and end all religion. And then bring the world to world war three and we will all die from radiation of nuclear holocost. Actually screw that im getting candy.
__________________
"A boats a boat, but a mystery box can be anything."
"it can even be a boat!!"
"then just get th..."
"we'll take the box"
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #34
camac
I feel so good.
 
camac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucinus
no
it would prove that souls dont exist and are not the source of lifeforce. it would also pretty much end any of this ridiculous god the awesome creator and ruler junk and prove once and for all science and logic reign supreme! suck on THAT!

also...i finally just took a second to look at the source link. apparently, this is a hoax from some joke newsite. just look at some of the other headlines:

12-year-old girl gets divorce
Goats recruited to fight bushfires
Scientists create robot lobster
The most dangerous day of the week
Trainee's overtime paid in bourbon
Cookie trail leads to suspects
Soldiers steal tank to buy vodka
Bonking, brawls and booze
Man gets $2600 for plaster Jesus
New shop to turn away the rich

too bad, really. maybe one day this can happen, but apparently not now

Well it has been reported by lots of other sources, even FoxNews. Heres some from the Pittsburgh times, aparanetly the city where it took place.

Quote:
Horror buffs rolled out the red carpet for the Pittsburgh opening of "Land of the Dead," the latest in hometown filmmaker George Romero's series of zombie movies.

As fans of gore sporting ghoulish attire lined Downtown sidewalks before the premiere, trauma surgeons from across the country began to gather at the University of Pittsburgh for the third annual Safar Symposium, where they learned that raising people from the dead might not be a celluloid fantasy.

Scientists at Pitt's Safar Center for Resuscitation Research in Oakland announced at the meeting last week that they have found a way to revive dogs three hours after clinical death -- an hour longer than in previous experiments, said the center's director, Dr. Patrick Kochanek.

Clinical death occurs when the heart stops pumping, breathing stops and brain activity ends.


These data aren't published yet, but the center hopes to begin human clinical trials within a year on a protocol they hope could revolutionize trauma care by saving people in cardiac arrest because of massive blood loss.

"This is a very exciting finding because of its potential implications for resuscitating what would otherwise be fatally wounded people," Kochanek said.

It also quickly became the stuff of urban legend.

The British tabloid press caught wind of this work and a series of hair-raising stories began to circulate on the Internet last weekend referring to "zombie dogs," complete with inflammatory werewolf photos. The stories have made their way through cyberspace to media outlets as far away as Australia.

"It's so unfair and so bizarre," Kochanek said. "Somebody must have thought the title 'zombie dog' would be a catchy phrase. Obviously they were right, but obviously that is the farthest thing from what we are doing, which is trying to save lives."

Soldiers in combat and gunshot or stabbing victims often bleed to death because medics don't have enough time to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or deliver blood. This type of injury kills about 50,000 Americans every year and is the leading cause of death among troops killed in action, said nationally recognized trauma surgeon Dr. Howard Champion, who lives in Annapolis, Md.

etc
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_348517.html

So who knows.

Quote:
For a long time, the test subjects couldn't be brought back to life after more than two hours. But recently, the researchers added glucose and more oxygen to the blood and have pushed the maximum time the dogs can be dead to three hours.

"We've tried to get it to four hours, but we just haven't been able to do it," Kochanek told The Post.

The lucky ones turn out to be perfectly normal with no brain damage ? although other dogs are stricken with serious physical or behavioral problems.

"We do not in any way say that every outcome is normal," Kochanek said.

He said his goal is to be able to put humans, such as critically wounded soldiers or stabbing or shooting victims, in a state of suspended animation for a few hours until they can receive proper medical help.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160903,00.html
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #35
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,066
If this turn out to be a hoax, then I will be laughing all day long, because some of you believe in it immediately, even thought it was too early. I think the reason is obvious, too obvious.
The question is, why did you believe it so fast? Are you the one that don?t believe anything so quickly? Only believe in it if you saw it for you self? Why did you make an exception for this? Is the Article that says, we can review died human that believable? I am not saying that it is a hoax or not, but I am still with my word and that it is too early to know and I am yet to know what is this all about and what they do to review him and what do they need etc.
Quote:
I think now your just trying to make them look like evil mad scientists
Because they are evil mad scientists. Duh.
Who ever do this for any kind of Animals is and will always be mad scientists.

Quote:
The lucky ones turn out to be perfectly normal with no brain damage ? although other dogs are stricken with serious physical or behavioral problems.
These Dogs have suffered, because of them. Do they have a heart? How can they do that? How can they kill or suffer dogs, just so that they become famous or rich. Is this a good reason, to sacrifice dogs, with something that may not work? They treat Dogs as if they dose not deserve to live, because they are stronger then him and that is an enough reason for them to kill these Dogs. the government did not even stop them. :thumbdn:

Last edited by Paper exe; 06-29-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #36
Daniel4802
That booty too fine
 
Daniel4802's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,651
It depends how successful it turns out to be; if there is a high probability of having some sort of serious physical or mental disability, coming back to life as some sort of vegetable may not be worth it. Also, depending on the severity of the injuries, there may not be enough time to do this before the individual dies. These dogs are put to "death" in a controlled environment under the same means such as time; whereas in real-life incidents, whether it be a car accident or physical assault with a weapon, there are various degrees of injuries. They don't say how long the process of draining the blood and then refilling it with the freezing, salty solution takes. I'm guessing it is somewhat similar to embalming. That is unless they created a faster and more effecient technique. Even if they are able to put them under before death, 2 hours or so most likely will not be enough time to patch someone up who suffered life-threatening injuries seeing how some surgeries last 5+ hours. Nonetheless, it is very interesting.

On a somewhat twisted note, perhaps I could purchase a few of these zombe dogs and invite PETA over to watch me play real-life Resident Evil and shoot at the dogs, pretending that they are after me.
__________________
Anime:Ben-to, C3, Chihayafuru, Fate Zero, Guilty Crown, Last Exile 2, Persona 4, Shakugan no Shana 3 and Un Go.
Manga:Arachnid, Ayakashi Hisen, Beast 9, Crime Zone, Hitogatana, Kick no Oneesan, Gate 7, Last Game, Paladin, Taiyou no Ie and Uwakoi.
Daniel4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #37
sharky~
Out Run Master!
 
sharky~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 4,160
Oh great so now Wars will be never ending..
Man gets shot.. just bring him back and send him out again..

I am NOT looking forward too WW3..
__________________
Segabits
sharky~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #38
camac
I feel so good.
 
camac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
If this turn out to be a hoax, then I will be laughing all day long, because some of you believe in it immediately, even thought it was too early. I think the reason is obvious, too obvious.
The question is, why did you believe it so fast? Are you the one that don?t believe anything so quickly? Only believe in it if you saw it for you self? Why did you make an exception for this? Is the Article that says, we can review died human that believable? I am not saying that it is a hoax or not, but I am still with my word and that it is too early to know and I am yet to know what is this all about and what they do to review him and what do they need etc.
That is a good point, but I think in my case anyway, I have more trust in scientists than supernatural stories in a book thats thousands of years old. .. if thats what you were insinuating. Polio? Flight? Internet all of this stems from science, more than what you can say about that other source. Anyway, I can't say if its a hoax or not, I'm just saying that the Australian site isn't the only one that reported that, honestly I saw those weird headlines at the bottom when I first read the article so I double checked with other sources to see if anyone else has reported about it.

Quote:
Because they are evil mad scientists. Duh.
Who ever do this for any kind of Animals is and will always be mad scientists.

These Dogs have suffered, because of them. Do they have a heart? How can they do that? How can they kill or suffer dogs, just so that they become famous or rich. Is this a good reason, to sacrifice dogs, with something that may not work? They treat Dogs as if they dose not deserve to live, because they are stronger then him and that is an enough reason for them to kill these Dogs. the government did not even stop them. :thumbdn:
Eh yes.. its sad and all, but you know, a lot of animals have made sacrifices for humans in science to bring us good things in the past. At the risk of sounding inhumane, if it can be used to better understand how to help the human species than I say go for it. Sorry little doggies, lab rats, bunnies, monkeys and whatever else you want to test on.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #39
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky~
Oh great so now Wars will be never ending..
Man gets shot.. just bring him back and send him out again..

I am NOT looking forward too WW3..
Wars are driven primarily by money, not man power. Even if not a single life was lost, eventually one side will run out of funds and have to give up. Besides, there are more serious reasons for not looking forward to WW3 than the idea that this treatment could be used to treat serious injuries and bring soldiers back into the field.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #40
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,066
Camac, I am completely confused here, because first you complained about Christianity, because it is only for people that live after Jesus.
Quote:
Hmm, from christianity, unless I'm wrong, I thought once Jesus died humans were allowed into heaven.
Then you complain again, saying that it is from the past and it should be from the future to be credible
Quote:
I have more trust in scientists than supernatural stories in a book thats thousands of years old
Also what do you want people to do on thousands of years ago? Save it in a folder then put it in God true religion.com?
For crying out loud, the only way for people from thousand of years ago to save something is by writing it in to a book, because Internet did not excite back then.
Also people in the past also have the right to live and know the difference between right and wrong.
The book that you speak off was not originally a book and also courage people to learn and it has a lot of scientific facts, so what made science unbelievable now?

You believed it immediately, you did only check after Hallucinus said what he said.

Quote:
Eh yes.. its sad and all, but you know, a lot of animals have made sacrifices for humans in science to bring us good things in the past. At the risk of sounding inhumane, if it can be used to better understand how to help the human species than I say go for it. Sorry little doggies, lab rats, bunnies, monkeys and whatever else you want to test on.
is it in that way they invent gaming? If not, then it is a completely bad thing.


Quote:
So if you could kill a person and leave them dead for awhile and then bring them to life. Couldnt they come back and tell us that god doesnt exist and end all religion. And then bring the world to world war three and we will all die from radiation of nuclear holocost. Actually screw that im getting candy.
If that the problem, then don't worry, because when some one dies, nothing will happen to him, he will neither go to heaven or hell, because duh, his body is still can be seen. What if he dreams a tall boring dream? Now that a scary thing. It will only start when every signal human dies, because the sun is too close to earth, then God will review us all and then the Day of Judgment will begin.

Last edited by Paper exe; 06-29-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #41
camac
I feel so good.
 
camac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Camac, I am completely confused here, because first you complained about Christianity, because it is only for people that live after Jesus.
Nah man, see what I try to do is think like them, using their logic, a put yourself in their shoes or see through their eyes sort of thing. I thought thats what christianity taught, that humans could go to heaven after Jesus died, so for the sake of arguement, I used that viewpoint. Its not that I believe it myself.

Quote:

Then you complain again, saying that it is from the past and it should be from the future to be credible

Also what do you want people to do on thousands of years ago? Save it in a folder then put it in God true religion.com?
For crying out loud, the only way for people from thousand of years ago to save something is by writing it in to a book, because Internet did not excite back then.
Also people in the past also have the right to live and know the differece between right and wrong.
The book that you speak off was not originally a book and also courage people to learn and it has a lot of scientific facts, so what made science unbelievable now?
yes yes, I know. The points not that its written in a book. The point is that the ideas are that old, people used to think the earth was flat, that the sun rotated around the earth, that there were sea monsters gobbling up ships, that royalty had ties to God, that things like epilepsy were really demonic possesions etc. Old superstitions and myths.

Quote:
You believed it immediately, you did only check after Hallucinus said what he said.
Haha, you don't believe me? Not that it really matters but I just want you to be sure I'm not a liar. Ironicaly I can even prove it, I found it intresting enough to make a thread about it in other forums, with links to other articles about it as well. Dated before his comment. I just didn't see the need to mention it here because the issue of it being a hoax or not didn't pop up yet. You know me man, I like to be sure when something fishy is real or not, I tend to do this a lot when news comes from a source I don't recognize.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #42
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,066
Quote:
Haha, you don't believe me? Not that it really matters but I just want you to be sure I'm not a liar. Ironicaly I can even prove it, I found it intresting enough to make a thread about it in other forums, with links to other articles about it as well. Dated before his comment. I just didn't see the need to mention it here because the issue of it being a hoax or not didn't pop up yet. You know me man, I like to be sure when something fishy is real or not, I tend to do this a lot when news comes from a source I don't recognize
No, I was just joking.
Quote:
yes yes, I know. The points not that its written in a book. The point is that the ideas are that old, people used to think the earth was flat, that the sun rotated around the earth, that there were sea monsters gobbling up ships, that royalty had ties to God, that things like epilepsy were really demonic possesions etc. Old superstitions and myths.
The book that you talked about, did not say that the earth is flat, neither did it say that there is sea monsters or the sun go around the earth, so what is your point?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #43
camac
I feel so good.
 
camac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
The book that you talked about, did not say that the earth is flat, neither did it say that there is sea monsters or the sun go around the earth, so what is your point?
The Christian Bible says the world is flat. I know the Qur'an doesn't so no worries there. I'm just saying, all this stuff came from the same time that people believed in other myths and superstitions. Actualy, come to think of it, I do recall the bible mentioning the sea monster Leviathan
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #44
Vegetto
Alive
 
Vegetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucinus
was it any good? im interested

it was enjoyable, however I like the others more
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #45
justin_credible
Registered User
 
justin_credible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,270
If this really happens I'll feel sorry for the person that does zombie dog makeup on the Resident Evil movies, they'll be out of a job.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.