The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Blocking p2p programs

My sister installed ares on our computer today. I'm sick of her installing stuff (like p2p programs) because she always ends up downloading virus....
My sister: Ooo, they have the sims for download. It's 32kb.

Anyways, she got wise that she wasn't one of the administrators on the computer (we have windows xp btw), and basicly my mom said if I don't put her as an admin that when i'm at school she'll take the comp out and delete my username. There's really nothing I can do about it except put her as an admin because i can't really stop her from taking it. I found a program called TerminatorX that lets me do exactly what I want.... to block which ever p2p programs from running and which users get blocked. The only problem is that it's a trial version, so it'll expire after a while. Anyone knows of any programs similar that are free and doesn't have a time limit?
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Dawn
Enfilade

You could always try a serial number site to extend the trial version into a full version, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the site. PM me for a link to a good one.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Rubeus

IN that case, why don't you create another instance of WIndows XP on your computer, one for yourself and one for your sister. She can fool around with her version anyway she likes and you use your own version, safe from all the hazards.

Ideally make two partitions on your hard drive, one for yourself and one for your sis.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus
IN that case, why don't you create another instance of WIndows XP on your computer, one for yourself and one for your sister. She can fool around with her version anyway she likes and you use your own version, safe from all the hazards.

Ideally make two partitions on your hard drive, one for yourself and one for your sis.
I would but that's going to be another headache of having to backup all my files again. I just had to format my computer the other day because my sister downloaded a bunch of viruses. Besides, I just don't want those programs installed on this computer at all. Thanks anyways Rebeus.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

WHy don't you just put a password on the computer so she can't use it?

Ideally, creating two identies on XP is the best scenario. I doubt you have the ability to block ports on your current setup. When you do that, you can give yourself administrator access and not allow her account to install programs.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Yeah if u PW your admin account, she has no way of erasing it. You can also make all your files appear only for your admin so she cant delete your stuff. Also you can limit just about anything she can do Using Admin Tools/Local Security Policy in the control panel. Even make it so she cant use the cd drive. If shes real smart with computers (which it doesnt seem like it) you might want to PW your BIOS also.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
WHy don't you just put a password on the computer so she can't use it?

Ideally, creating two identies on XP is the best scenario. I doubt you have the ability to block ports on your current setup. When you do that, you can give yourself administrator access and not allow her account to install programs.
I would restrict her of all access to the computer except (if i didn't mention it b4) while i'm at school she'll have my mom take the comp away, which I need for programming projects at school. I think what I may just do is either 1: create the two identities for XP.... which i really don't feel like going through the hastle of backing up all of my files again, or 2: I can just delete the registries of any p2p programs she has so that she thinks it's still installed but it in reality won't work because the registry files are gone. But I just got some good news. She may finally be buying a new monitor for her computer. Her monitor was busted...thus the reason why she's been using my computer for a while. So let's just pray.

btw, i'm not saying that i don't use p2p programs it's just that i hate when she uses them because she tends to download viruses with them and she doesn't know it.