The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
Rubeus

12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription no longer available

You can guess there's probably an all new Xbox Series X Subscription replacing XLG.

Click for full size

Quote:
12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription no longer available

Yearly sub removal from Xbox Store not an error

Microsoft has removed the option to purchase a 12-month subscription to its Xbox Live Gold service. While both one-month and three-month subscriptions remain purchasable, the full year sub has been scrubbed from Xbox stores across all territories.

When the removal was first discovered, some reports hypothesised that it was just an error on the Xbox store's part, but Microsoft has since sent a statement to True Achievements, confirming that the change is indeed intentional.

"At this time, Xbox has decided to remove the 12 months Xbox Live Gold SKU from the Microsoft online store," reads the statement. "Customers can still sign up for a one month or three month Xbox Live Gold subscription online through the Microsoft Store."

No reason has been offered for the yearly sub removal. With Microsoft's Xbox Series X conference happening later this week, it will be interesting to see if this mysterious decision foreshadows an overhaul of sorts for the Xbox Live Gold service. Of course, the timing could be merely coincidental.

The Xbox Series X Games Showcase will take place July 23 at 09:00 PT / 12:00 ET / 17:00 BST.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/...e-598001.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Some people are speculating that MS is going to make online play free to get more people to the platform to upsell them on game pass.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

It would be the smart thing to do.

But also, i cannot help but not trust them cause they were the ones that began charging for it. It will leave Sony and Nintendo at a loss though. If all 3 adopted that and online play was free for all like it is in the PC, it would be a good thing for the consumer.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
It would be the smart thing to do.

But also, i cannot help but not trust them cause they were the ones that began charging for it. It will leave Sony and Nintendo at a loss though. If all 3 adopted that and online play was free for all like it is in the PC, it would be a good thing for the consumer.
Phil Spencer has become progressively more consumer friendly since he took over. He's the only reason I think that they might actually get rid of the premium online play stuff. You gotta remember xbox has been in a few different people's hands over the years.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

I know. But, that also says that the moment he is gone things might change dramatically again.
But, anyways, i'll believe it when i see it.