The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #406
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
i've no issues you commenting on them if you have actually played them and can offer constructive critique, i've played both those square games and found them to be utter by the numbers jrpg gash that have failed to change a single bit from the ps2 days, like all the square stuff this gen tbh (i just hope that FF13 doesn't go the same way) .. i used to be big square whore but this gen they have gone down the lav IMO and have failed to really make the move to current gen systems well .. btw both of which i'm playing carry higher averages than those square games on gamer rankings .. :p

does anyone know if they ever fixed the nasty load times on The Last Remnant and v/low frame rate, i think they did it for the pc version (am sure Alucard will know off the top off his head) but not sure about the console version? If they didn't have fun with that one if they haven't ... 20-30secs before every fight if i recall?? .. a HDD install is a must
It will be the day when i become a mainstream sheep and leave my choice of games to internet scores. I have played games with issues that i enjoyed and if a HHD install solves the problem then it doesnt seem like it will stop me from enjoying the game. I was perfectly aware of the issues when i bought the games.

On that note Need for speed games are as boring as they come. Racing games havent changed in essence since the PS1 era in anything but graphics... but hey... to each his own. Its always cool to tell your friends u got the "hot in the press" game of the moment.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #407
memory to zack

@Darren: I believe you have a grudge against SE a bit. Yes this generation they've been bad and unsupportive of consoles. However most of the average RPGs they published were made by other devs (or IU which was supposed to be published by MS, but dropped it). The good ones by their internal studios. The issues TLR has on the 360 are similar to those of Fable II and Mass Effect. Fable II has a bad multiplayer, its easy as hell, uncomfortable to cast magic and all its nice features are uncompleted. Mass Effect on the other hand is a smaller-scale Kotor with rudimentary shooter elements. Nothing new. Note that I played the PC demo of TLR and didn't like. ME is worth the praise, Fable 2 on the other hand not at all.

My point is that well-known and successful series will always have a big edge in reviews, unless they constantly fail in every new iteration (like Tomb Raider) and something new replaces them. FFXIII looks not that great to me. I bet FF: CC is going to be awesome and much better than FFXIII, yet FFXIII will get the super-reviews nonetheless of its quality.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #408
darren
... lol

no grudge .. just a fan thats very dissapointed in there work this gen as they have really struggled on the home systems .. there handheld stuff has been good tbh (been enjoying kingdom hearts recently) . Last Remants was just plan broken and clearly had no quality bug testing done on it .. and if it did then they couldn't be arsed or were not allowed to fix them, and thats kind of behaviour is just plan unforgivable, as inside theres an OK game trying to get out that ruined by what they didn't do.. yeah FF13 and CC look really good and i hope they are as thus far its been trash on the home systems .. SO4 is another example .. dull generic story that actually put me to sleep once or twice with an ok battle system .. and as for the names .. lol Edge Maverik ... please who thought of that one . personally think if the home system stuff didn't have the square enix name on the box they would not have sold half as much as they did and would probebly have been dogged by a lot more by the jrpg fans that picked them up and played them coz its square.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 10-19-2009 at 02:52 AM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #409
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

To be fair other then Lost Odyssey and Versperia console JRPGs on the next-gen consoles have been pretty poor/average all over. The DS/PSP on the otherhand is where JRPG's are really shining at the moment I think.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #410
Nem
Smash bro!

To be fair esca, most RPG's have been average since most of the PS2 era. I dont consider Vesperia and Lost Odyssey to have been that great (i havent finished LO yet though). But the enjoyment you get out of a game is proportional to how open minded you can be and what expectations you have of it. The press these days influences gamers to only accept crystal clear games that got the best polish, graphics and inovation... fun and enjoyment (wich is achieved by game design) always takes a back seat and realise inovation isnt always where the fun is.

The problem is, you cant have the funds to develop those kinds of games on every genre... its too much of a risk. So, we end up saturating the market with polished FPS's cause they are garanteed to sell well and get good reviews and the remaining genres subside on offer and just cant get the funding necessary to compete.

Bottom line... gotta miss the PS1 days.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #411
calintz
thank you based god

picked up fallout 3 goty on the weekend for err... umm... ps3
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #412
memory to zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
To be fair other then Lost Odyssey and Versperia console JRPGs on the next-gen consoles have been pretty poor/average all over. The DS/PSP on the otherhand is where JRPG's are really shining at the moment I think.
tbh, I didn't even enjoy LO. I had as much enjoyment from it as Fable II, and that's pretty low. I only own *gasp* 3 JRPGs on consoles this gen and that's 2 from long-running, successful series and the other from the Gooch... On the DS/PSP I have over 10 easily and I still play some good PS2 RPGs that I didn't have the time to play at all.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #413
Subway
In the garden of sinners

I bought 300$ worth of clothes from this place called Zara. Two were jackets, one leather and the other one looks like a trenchcoat thing (two columns of buttons running down the lenght of the coat, with collar) but its waist length. The other was a sweater zip up thing. Also bought The Lost Symbol By Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code.
Subway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #414
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Heart of Hush is the best Batman arc in the last couple of years.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #415
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
I bought 300$ worth of clothes from this place called Zara. Two were jackets, one leather and the other one looks like a trenchcoat thing (two columns of buttons running down the lenght of the coat, with collar) but its waist length. The other was a sweater zip up thing. Also bought The Lost Symbol By Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code.
i like some of zara's style - everytime i go to HK, i always make sure i drop by that store for some new drops

too bad there's none in sydney
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #416
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

i bought some Naruto card game... seems interesting...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #417
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Borderlands (XB360)
Toshiba 1TB HDD.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #418
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Escaflowne - how is Theresia?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #419
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Escaflowne - how is Theresia?
It started off Ok but in the end I got bored of it to be honest. It seems like there a interesting story to be had if you can be patient.

The main problems are that all the areas look the same I played the game for about 6hrs and it was just the same looking areas over and over. The story itself is advanced through diary pages you find throughout the level and you get little piece of story each time.

I grabbed Agarest: Generations Of War (PS3) which has a lovely hardback artbook with it very nice and a little ecchi to say the least.

also Ju-on The Grudge (Wii) and Dragonball: Revenge of Piccolo (Wii).
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #420
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The thrift store Savers is still selling 4-pack bundles. These are 4 games which I have never owned, all for $12.99.

All mint complete. I hear that Pirates Gold can be worth more than that alone. This copy came with color instruction manual (a rarity on the Genesis), map and warranty/customer service registration card. Still need the 32X Mortal Kombat 2.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote