The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Dedicted Servers for MW3

Quote:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/mo...servers-on-pc/

We've got some horrible news for a select few of our more easily-incensed readers: Those "Boycott Modern Warfare 3" shirts you've been printing up all month might not be necessary. According to IGN, Activision confirmed at Gamescom today that the PC version of the soon-to-be-hugely-successful shooter will support dedicated servers -- a reversal of a highly protested decision for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Of course, the privatization of servers could (see: will) lead to rampant cheating and modding, which in turn could throw off the contests which Activision's planning on hosting as part of the Call of Duty Elite social tools. Activision said it won't launch the game until it comes up with a solid anti-cheating solution for the platform. We suggest some variation on the honor system, but that's just because our hearts are virtuous and pure.

Update: A representative from Activision asked us to clarify that the PC game is on schedule and will launch with the other versions.
Last time Activision didn't give a crap. Now they are going up against BF3 and all of a sudden there is more PC love? NO! NO I SAY!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

This isn't love for the PC at all, why do people keep saying that? This is the standard which I expect, so this is no points in COD's favour for me because it's exactly what I expect from PC titles; the ability to use dedicated servers. So Activision can continue to go fuck themselves for having removed the feature in the first place.

The way I see it, BF3 and MW3 can exist peacefully. COD is a fast-paced (well, used to be) arena shooter, all about the shooting, whereas Battlefield is a huge team-based shooter with vehicles too. So the real battle for me has always been COD vs Counter-Strike, which is faster paced arena shooter and better in pretty much every way. And now Global Offensive is coming out, I'd choose that over COD anyday. I'd still choose CS: Source over it too.

So honestly, Activision. Fuck self.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I played most of the COD games, I never saw the appeal unless you have AHDD.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

The appeal is how piss-easy the game is and how much lack of skill you need to do good.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Alucard

Completely obvious its being done because of BF3. They can go to hell.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote