The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #481
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Man fuck practical effects, using models and staged sets isn't very practical, that is what Nolan fans say all the time.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #482
Alucard

Models are awesome. Too many movies rely on CG now days. Hell, some movies from the 70s and early 80s that used models still end up looking better then 90% of the movies of today that use CG.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #483
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Models are awesome. Too many movies rely on CG now days. Hell, some movies from the 70s and early 80s that used models still end up looking better then 90% of the movies of today that use CG.
This. I am surprised to see Kiuju say otherwise. But I don't mind CG if it's done well. The problem is that it never, ever looks realistic in the Spider-Man movies. Every time he's swinging around or does some awkward flip/fake martial arts move, it's quite obvious and pulls me out of the narrative. Considering how much money Sony threw at those movies, there's just no excuse for anything other than top-of-the-line effects.

I realize many people don't mind the special effects, but remember, I never bought into the stories (or the actors - Tobey Macguire and Kirsten Dunst are both miscast/poorly written, a bad combination) so the special effects were much harder for me to overlook.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #484
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
If it done wrong, CG can be disastrous. Look at Green Lantern.
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy IX [PS1] - /random shit [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #485
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

I thought the Oa stuff was cool. :/

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #486
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah there was a time when movies the matrix reloaded had scenes where neo was cg and it looked liked shit, but the scene was doing incredible things not done in any movies. I believe in progression and I haven't been really seeing that in practical effects. Yes Imax shit of course, is something that is used, but I really am not seeing that.

CG I get things like OA, that do look weird in HD but(Hals head), I mean it has to be done somehow prosthetic costumes just can't get it done. Look at how they did the Thing in the FF movies. I would rather him be CG or a mix of both.

Spiderman 3, yes in HD does look suspect, spiderman 3 looked more suspect when he was rescuing Gwen Stacy, now that was pretty bad, but I don't believe it took me out of the moment. The movie was just bad in general, poor narrative, poor everything.

I am honestly just sick of people that watch 1 batman movie and think they know what graphic effects in movies are all about. No, just Nolan fans, alot of things in both movies just really took me out of the experience. Honestly it wasn't even the effects.

As for movies made in the past 30 years being better, ok fine, cinematically storlyine-wise, characters (taxi driver), yes they had a lot less to work with and movies ended up being better than a lot of movies nowadays, but for special effects, fuck no. Honestly it just takes the right kind of balance, I really hope this spiderman movie if it is trying to do "practical effects" does it correctly, I'd hate for spiderman to swing all static on a web line, and I really don't want to see a bunch of parkour; which the trailer suggested.

Zechin
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #487
Alucard

No you misunderstand when I say movies were better. I'm talking about the effects. Look at films like Blade Runner, Aliens, Star Wars, etc. Zero CG, all models. I mean yes now and then you can tell its a model, but theres many times when it looks quite real, like they were life size models. Models always brought a certain substance and detail to something. CG lacks this real connection. And I'm a CG whore.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #488
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

In terms of star wars, yes the constant updates were a mess and detracts from the movie. I grew up watching it in it's original form so I am, of course, biased in this regard. Blade runner ok another good example, they worked with what they had and it was good. I just saying that movies that use practical effects today are no better than ones that use CG. Crap directors who think they know better is why movies aren't as good as they used to be.

Damn aliens was a good example too, not much I can say about that, but that alien movements were pretty much left to your imagination as they weren't that nimble. Predators as well, with a good amount of balance can really make something good. I wouldn't discount one for the other.

Zechin
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #489
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...icially-online

There you go. I wil wait until it comes out before I make a judgement, seeing as I am biased.

Zechin
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #490
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

This Amazing Spider-Man toy/news does not bode well:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1215556p1.html
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #491
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
no way! that's awesome!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #492
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

You really think the Lizard should run around turning other people into lizards too? It's bad enough how crappy he looks without also messing with his powers...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #493
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I got bad news for you, that's what Lizard always does.

But you are right, I rather him more Monster like than Cheesy 60's villain.

But I'm also not expecting this movie to be good, maybe neat to watch but nothing that will blow my mind. I have the feeling that Sony wants to wreck the movies for when Disney gets the rights back after the contract is done. This one for example has a really low budget that they know they will make back, it's only 60 million. Which is low for a movie they know will still make 300 million.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #494
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Oh, he does? I guess I haven't read enough Spider-Man stories (it has been a few years). Did he actually do that in any of the cartoons?

Yeah, that is a very low budget for an effects-heavy film. I'm still expecting to like it better than the previous films, but I was always harder on them than other people.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #495
spider-prime

Yup, did it in the cartoons and comics all the time.