The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

I've been working on an indie game!

Hey magicbox lovers. Remember me? *whispers* of course you do.

You are probably all wondering where I've been since my last post about Super Robot Wars or maybe you simply don't care (Who the hell is Zachalmighty?) After a failed attempt to get a SRW petition going after much help from Alucard and NortheastMonk, I got to thinking. Why don't I just beat Namco at their own game? I'm a fairly good writer, I have drive, and time (no girlfriend). I decided in late July I was going to make my own indie game company!!

Here we are, 3 months and 100 pages later; I've created a the world of Exodus Century. Exodus Century is a turn based strategy RPG akin to old time favorites like FFT, Super Robot Wars, and Fire Emblem. Borrowing elements from each game and adding our own we've created something we believe will bring enjoyment to the players!

Currently, we have plans to bring the game to PC and android but we really want to bring the game to PS3, PSVita, 3DS, and Wii U (We will only be able to do this with more time). We hired a concept artist who provided us a basic amount of concept art for our games combatants; Variable Armors.

TL;DR, I created a game company called Robots Can Fly LLC. We have a website @ http://robotscanfly.com, and forums as well as a twitter account and Facebook account. We'd like some help, please register or like/follow us. Let your friends know! We'd like to get the word out before we go to kickstarter.

If you know anyone who can do pixel art and animation or illustration please let me know by PM immediately so I can reach out to them for contract work and as always I appreciate any and all help we can get.

I will be updating this topic as time goes on.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

well you have been mighty busy! i hope your game turns out well and most of all please remember to add the FUN! which most companies throw to the wayside these days.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

My 5 man team was hand picked for FUN. Haha. Seriously, all of us have a real passion for what we do. My two sound engineers do it as a hobby. My programmer does it as a hobby. We've all grown around video games and they've been a big part of our lives. I think it really just required a push to get us all together.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

good luck i'll be looking forward to playing it.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Good luck with this! Don't forget the Sega Saturn version!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Don't worry, there will definitely be a SNES cartridge release.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
calintz
thank you based god

sif not make an ios version! :p
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
sif not make an ios version! :p
We probably are not making an ios version because unity isn't compatible to my knowledge.

EDIT: I've posted more concept art on the main page and on the twitter page. I'd appreciate it if you dudes could retweet it or let friends know.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
calintz
thank you based god

there are a lot of unity games on ios

also: http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/mobile
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Congrats and best of luck. The mech concept art on your site is very Macross-ish. Would it be safe to assume your company will specialize in robo/mech games?

BTW, don't settle for the indie label. You're a video game company, same as any other. Maybe not as big but then so what? A video game's worth lies exclusively in fan-factor, replay, play mechanics and presentation, not financial muscle and manpower.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

I had no idea! I'll ask my programmer if iOS is do-able. It would probably be a stretch goal if anything.

@Icarus,

Thanks man. That is good advice. We aren't a mech/robo company. Our next game is a fantasy RPG akin to FFVI and we've been talking about a dark-style dungeon game about a mother who tries to save her son from his abusive drug addict father. The direction I'm trying to move us in is to tell a story with music, art, and dialogue. Gameplay is very important but I want the gamer to walk away with something they can talk about as well as memories.

EDIT: I guess to clarify, Icarus...we plan to make Exodus Century into a series of games. It all depends on the popularity of the first or our ability to improve the second!

Last edited by Zachalmighty; 09-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Zachalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

Will Xbox One end up being a stretch goal as well?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/un...ter-this-year/

Also, I will buy all your games just because writing game stories has always been something I've always wanted to do, but never saw myself actually doing for a career or anything so never looked too much into it. So it's cool seeing someone else on this site doing that and I'd love to support that.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachief View Post
Will Xbox One end up being a stretch goal as well?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/un...ter-this-year/

Also, I will buy all your games just because writing game stories has always been something I've always wanted to do, but never saw myself actually doing for a career or anything so never looked too much into it. So it's cool seeing someone else on this site doing that and I'd love to support that.
Yes, XB1 can be a stretch goal. We initially want it for PC/Android, with 3DS and PSVita being next and lastly PS3 and Wii U (We would have to create a new version for the WII U that would be able to play from the tablet part.)

So initial release priority is as follows:
1. PC/Android
2. 3DS/PSVita
3. PS3/Wii U
4. XB1/PS4/iOS

And thanks Pika! I was motivated by a bunch of petitions and running discussions I've been part of. If game companies don't want to bring the games we want to play to the USA/Europe than why not create them ourselves?

EDIT: Those dudes from Unity said they were bringing native 2D support later this year too....of course! Our game will be 80% finished by that time...
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Zach, sounds like you've got ambitious goals, which is good. I hope that your inner drive pushes you and your dev team to a high standard of excellence. Much of today's successful developers had humble beginnings, producing low-key titles with a small ensemble of dedicated programmers and artists. If you can get the basics right, the rest of the pieces should fall into place naturally.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

the Oculus rift looks like a good starter platform to develop for- that is if Sony has bought out Oculus rift. Oculus are giving out dev kits, the company was hoping to gamble on immersive 3DVR being the next big thing, the cost of the set will mean the dev tools and hardware will not be of the current gen standard as it would be too expensive for a stand alone unit plus the audio/optical headset,

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote