The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Alucard

Sims 3 screens and info

loolololol

Quote:
New Seamless, Open Neighborhood—Explore the Neighborhood Freely

See the sights with your Sims! The new seamless neighborhood architecture allows your Sims to roam freely around the neighborhood and visit their loved one and friends—or foes. Discovering other Sims homes and families, traveling around to new locations like City Hall or the local park will create a whole new way of life for your Sims. Storytelling options will multiply as your Sims stroll downtown to meet new acquaintances, head across town for lunch, spy on their neighbors and bump into the boss when they least expect it.

New Create A Sim—Create Any Sim You Can Imagine

In addition to the open, living neighborhood, the all-new Create-a-Sim interface will feature easy-to-use design tools that allow you to make truly detailed Sims that are more realistic than ever. Create-a-Sim gives you the incredible freedom to customize just about any Sim you can imagine. From thin to full-figured to muscular—everything in between and even the extreme! In addition to determining your Sims body shape and size, you will also be able to fine-tune every feature on their faces, customize their hair style and select their skin tone, all from a vast selection of options. With so many choices to choose from, it is fun to create more realistic characters that look like you, someone you want to look like, or even a famous personality.

New Realistic Personalities—Every Sim Is A Unique Person, With A Distinct Personality

With the innovative and proprietary Realistic Personality System in The Sims 3, you can attribute each character with five distinct personality traits, helping shape your Sims behavior and how they interact with others and their surroundings. This new system will empower you to create extremely complex and diverse in-game personalities. Will you create the nosy, inappropriate, kleptomaniac grandmother who loves to meddle in other people’s business? Or the commitment-phobic, hot-headed punk rocker whose rude nature and childish disposition keeps him from scoring a date? In The Sims 3, Sims will go beyond the basic set of day-to-day needs to be distinct individuals with multifaceted personalities, who can focus both on short-term opportunities and long-term goals. With a wide selection of personality traits to mix and match, more than 700 million combinations of Sims await. You never know who’ll meet in The Sims 3!

New Unlimited Customization—Everyone Can Customize Everything!

New and accessible creativity tools in The Sims 3 make it simple for anyone to customize anything, anywhere! From floors to flowers, fashions to sofas, wallpaper to window shades and more, The Sims 3 gives you all the flexibility and options you need to be the architect of your dream house or explore your interior design skills to outfit your ultimate home. Your Sims can make home an ultra-deluxe mansion, a cool bachelor pad, family’s dream home or charming cottage. The choice is yours in The Sims 3.

”The new engine and technologies in The Sims 3 are designed to unleash the player’s imagination with realistic looking Sims who have distinct personalities and a seamless living neighborhood for them to discover,” added Ben Bell, Executive Producer on The Sims 3. “Players are going to be thrilled by the level of realism in The Sims 3!”
Heres a little write-up ign did

Quote:
The Sims 3 looks to finally evolve beyond that limited scope by simulating whole neighborhoods and towns. You still control your sims and you still can design, build, and furnish a home, but now your sims can venture across the street or across the neighborhood without hitting a load screen. It's a seamless, dynamic world that you can explore, one populated by dozens of computer-controlled sims. While you're busy playing, you may see neighboring sims fall in love, get married, have kids, and die. If anything, the world of The Sims 3 sort of reminds us of Simsville, the cancelled 2001 game that tried to fill in the gap between the intimate scope of The Sims and the gigantic scale of SimCity's urban landscapes.

"We want to get people off the lot and out into the neighborhood around them and get them to experience this complete town in a way that they've never been able to before, and frankly we've never been able to deliver before just because we didn't have the technological means or the design expertise," executive producer Ben Bell told us.

Bell gave us a short PowerPoint presentation of the new features in The Sims 3, but then he showed us a pre-alpha version of the game running itself. Maxis has been working on The Sims 3 for years now, so it's in a fairly advanced state, though there's still plenty of work to do. Much of what we saw was filled with placeholder art or user interface data, as the designers are still trying to tweak many aspects of the game. But right off the bat, we watched as the camera could zoom from a scenic panorama of a town right down to the familiar confines of a single home. Each lot in the town, be it a business or a home, is fully modeled and exists within the simulation. In other words, these aren't Potemkin villages. Associate producer Lyndsay Pearson told us that the town we looked at consisted of 97 different lots.

The sims themselves have gotten a huge overhaul when it comes to their personalities. Fans of series know that determining a sim's personality depended on allocating points that determined how shy or outgoing they were, or how lazy or active. The problem with this system was that it was very limiting, since the options were so vague and you only had a handful of points to distribute between them. That's all thrown out the window in The Sims 3. Now each sim can have up to five traits that are selected from a pool of about 80. That calculates out to millions of potential combinations, according to Pearson. We saw traits like flirty, dreamy, perfectionist, paranoid, genius, frugal, brave, clumsy, artistic, kleptomaniac, inappropriate, daredevil, schmoozer, and more. Imagine trying to break down people you know or characters you see on television and the movies to their four or five key traits, and you can recreate them in The Sims 3.

You'll not only be able to model the traits of your friends and family, but you'll also be able to do a pretty good job of creating sims that look like them, too. Sim creation is much more powerful in The Sims 3, as sliders will let you adjust body weight and muscle tone, and there are options to create a greater range of faces. The graphical leap between The Sims 3 and its predecessor isn't as huge as The Sims 2 was from the original game, but the emphasis now is to create more believable human beings. The sims have been softened and rounded a bit more; they're less cartoony and more realistic.

Another aspect of the game that the producers touched on is the moodlet system, which is how you'll be able to get feedback on your sims' emotions and thoughts. The details are a bit vague, but it sounds like the mood bar will overhaul the hunger, bathroom, and other meters. For sure, the bathroom mechanic is being reduced, as Bell emphasized that you won't "have to spend your whole life staring at the pee bar all day long." The idea is that the game focuses more on the bigger picture, like what sort of life do you want your sim to lead? It's less about having to worry about the minutiae of everyday existence.

If you're a fan of The Sims who loves to just build homes, then there's going to be plenty to like in The Sims 3. Bell promised greater customization options, and they showed off how easy it's going to be to select patterns and materials that go on objects. Let's say you have a great pattern on a couch. In earlier games, that pattern was pretty much restricted to the couch, but in The Sims 3, you can take any material from any object and drag it over another object to populate it. So take that pattern you like from the couch and drag it around to other furniture to create a matching set.

Pretty much every aspect of The Sims as you know it has been rewritten for The Sims 3, which is why we're so excited for the game. The series is nearing its 10th anniversary, and the formula that has served it so well to date has certainly reached its limitations in addition to feeling very dated. The Sims 3 promises to recharge and reinvent the way The Sims is played, and that's something that will affect millions upon millions of fans around the world.

I'm totally looking forward to this one. Should be heaps fun and much more immersive with the changes and additions they're doing. Sounds like it'll be easier to mod aswell, as far as patterns and decorations go for houses, furniture, clothing, etc. Looking forward to what the mod community do with this one. The sims 2 mods were amazing.

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
progmetal
!

Wow, it almost looks like real houses and humans.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Alucard

I definately like the new look. Not TOO realistic, and slightly comic like. I cant wait for it.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
SoManyCHILDRENS
Captain's Wench

OH MAN I CANNOT WAIT I WANT IT NOW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIMME SIMS 3 NO SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS THIS IS HUGE AND I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I HAVE MY CAREFULLY ORCHESTRATED NEIGHBORHOOD UP AND RUNNING OH MAN OH MAN /GASM
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
New Create A Sim—Create Any Sim You Can Imagine

In addition to the open, living neighborhood, the all-new Create-a-Sim interface will feature easy-to-use design tools that allow you to make truly detailed Sims that are more realistic than ever. Create-a-Sim gives you the incredible freedom to customize just about any Sim you can imagine. From thin to full-figured to muscular—everything in between and even the extreme! In addition to determining your Sims body shape and size, you will also be able to fine-tune every feature on their faces, customize their hair style and select their skin tone, all from a vast selection of options. With so many choices to choose from, it is fun to create more realistic characters that look like you, someone you want to look like, or even a famous personality.
Stalin, Hitler and Bush living in one neighborhood..... I am there day 1.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyCHILDRENS View Post
OH MAN I CANNOT WAIT I WANT IT NOW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIMME SIMS 3 NO SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS THIS IS HUGE AND I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I HAVE MY CAREFULLY ORCHESTRATED NEIGHBORHOOD UP AND RUNNING OH MAN OH MAN /GASM
x2
XBL: Mandiford (send me a message so I know who you are)
Yoshi Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyCHILDRENS View Post
hey! you are supposed to only feel that way to animal crossing. Shame on you!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 AM   #8
Alucard

sims 3 > animal crossing!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

You're god damn right

\Isaac Hayes

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Seraph
>:3

Can we PLEASE refain from turning this into a Sims vs Animal Crossing debate?

Anyways it needs to be asked. Was the soundtrack in Sims 2 as good as 1's? By soundtrack I mean that soothing latin music that would play on the radios.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Sims 2 has some excellent music.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Seraph
>:3

I disagree with you on just about everything, but I trust your taste in music. Time to call my sister up.

Is it in MP3 format like Sims1? Or do I gotta make a rip
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Animal crossing lacks the house building and interaction that Sims has. Can you have a dinner party in animal crossing? NO. Can you have a pet in animal crossing? NO. Can you build your house from the ground up and add a pool of some sort? NOOOOOOO.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Paper exe
Pwnd

Ok now you have said it!1!! I can counter you with the same cheap retard weapon!

In the sims you cannot control yourself they actually move and walk by them self and do what they want worst of all is when they start doing what they want rather than what you ask them to. not to mention how they go to the toilets eat and do all of these crap. A slow and frustrating game that what the sims is. In animal crossing you can do and go wherever you want, talk to animals and collect dozen of stuff. While the sims has no collectability if not at all. You can catch fishes and bugs in animal crossing that appears in different ways, time and seasons using a real time clock. You can play animal crossing with others and enjoy it a lot more if there is someone playing it with you. You actually interact in the game environment rather than just picking icons, heck even that is partly useless in the sims, since the sims would move by them self and do whatever they please anyway even if you told them not to a billion times!

I know it is a hugely retarded unfair and unrelated point that I point out about animal crossing over the simes, which was the same thing that you have done to animal crossing, but you started it!!1!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Paper, Animal Crossing and The Sims are entirely different games, there is no point in comparing them. One is not better than the other, and they each have their pros and cons.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote