The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I will never play another MMORPG.

I keep telling myself this after every horror story that is the online RPG genre, but I keep on buying the damn things. I bought DDO for 60 damn dollars (they were out of the normal edition) and played it for maybe 8 hours before realizing it was just as bad as everything else. Now I'm out $60 and I know I should have listened to myself before. Nothing good can come from these games! And a monthly fee? I have to pay MORE for an unfinished game? It makes me sick.

I've played like everything on the market and I'm still trying to get past all that. Every one seems so much fun until you realize its one main fault. In WoW there was way too much grind. In FFXI, money is too hard to come by and there is very little to do other than grind. Parties take forever to find if you're not a Paladin or White Mage or Red Mage at higher levels. In DDO, there are like 3 overworld zones and you can reach the final one in about 2 hours. In City of Heroes, there isn't any gear! In Everquest...well, it just isn't fun in any way.

So the next time I ask about a new MMORPG and express interest in it (which I will) be sure to tell me all the faults it has to make sure I won't buy it. At least until some VR games come along.

If anyone wants to buy my account, tell me. $40. Good deal.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Alucard

Serves you right for playing DDO! If you're going to play an mmorpg, just like any game, you pick a good one. Although $60 sounds like quite a bit for an mmorpg.

I'm not too sure about the grind in WoW, but I hear its not that bad. I mean compared to stuff like Lineage2 or EQ2. God those were pains. Fastest levelling game out there, that I've played, City of Heroes/Villains.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Nindalf

ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE ULTIMA ONLINE
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
welshfreak
: )

Are you trying to get noticed or something?
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
ULTIMA ONLINEx721
Played it. Too many elitist pricks and not enough structure.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Nindalf

Ultima Online is BY FAR the best MMORPG. If you didn't like it, you have cancer in your brain.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

Xander, i feel you. I think the genre is complete garbage, and if it wasnt for Gravity releasing RO2 later this year, id never consider it agian. I kinds wish RO2 was an offline game, or a ORPG like PSO where you didnt have to interact with every person on the planet.

The concepts of these games sounds friggan sweet. Everyone online creates a realworld community. In countries like Korea, these type of games have taken over people lives.

The problem is, we live in america (most of us). Our country is known for having the biggest population of smacktards the world has ever known. Western Culture literally ruins these games. Cheating, Stealing, Scamming, being a general Ahole to your community. These kids dont give a rats Arse about anyone else, they are just going to do whatever it takes to make them have fun.

Community makes or breaks these grindfest of games. Even a grindfest is fun if you have cool people to do it with the whole way. RO in korea still has a bagillion players, yet in america its been slowly dying for a while.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Played it. Too many elitist pricks and not enough structure.
But if you played it at launch, you could have killed the elitist pricks, stolen their gear and wtach them haunt you as a ghost whining for their stuff back.

UO was the best MMO ever.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
And a monthly fee? I have to pay MORE for an unfinished game? It makes me sick.
I think it is standard these days for mmorpgs to be incomplete upon retail. Hell, I think that is the case for most PC and console games regardless of genre. Before release, you get fed all the pros and lots of promise; but when you actually play it extensively, you then see - in addition - all the cons and plenty of shortcomings.

Without listing all the mmorpgs I have played, I will just say that most of them were enjoyable. Ultimately, one simply gets tired of the game and looks towards something else.

I can't say I'll never purchase another mmorpg again. Something in the future may grab my interest - even though it may just provide a few months of entertainment. One such game that I am keeping tabs on is Vanguard.
Daniel4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

I stick with City of Heroes/Villains. It's not point and click, and once you get past level 7 and have a decent 'combo chain' it feels more like an old arcade-style beat-em-up, only with a team of 8. It's the only game where I find 'grinding' to actually be fun, especially on fist-melee types. I like the fact there is no loot, it just means that someone is going to win because of their tactics and skill, and not because they have no job and live in their parent's basement. I rescently burned 20 bucks on Lineage II, and tried WoW, which I played for a total of 2 hours, it was all I could stomach. I just can't play point-and-click games. It's not like I have a short attention-span, I just can't stand them. I would rather play a turn-based MMO than a point-and-click.

If you're looking for something more 'traditional' you might wanna hold out for Phantasy Star Universe.

Edit: Btw Seska, hawt avatar. Now gtfo and gb2 /s/.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Reko8

Hey Xander, I thought you were going to get RF Online? Anyways, I found that playing MMORPGs with people you don't know all the time kinda sucks. I have some friends that are on the same server on WoW as me and it's hell of a lot better than without them.

Plus, it's is kinda hard to avoid grinding in general in a lot of MMORPGs. WoW made quests which is grinding, but gives you a goal other than leveling up.

Last edited by Reiko8; 03-18-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
Alexander
I speak with codes.

RF online appeals to me. Then again, every MMORPG appeals to me. I must stop!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
Alucard

RF Online sucks. It sucks so hard that my brother in law who went over to it thinking he'd enjoy it said it sucked. And he liked Lineage2. He calls RF Online a really shittier grinding version of L2. He kept hammering and trying to find reasons to like it, but after 1 week he had to stop. Says worst game ever. He should of listened to me before buying it!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
Anthrax

Are you serious about "too much grind" in WoW? WoW has to be one of the easiest mmo I've played and I have played a lot. There are plenty of quest to lvl with. I have 4x 60 in WoW all with less than 14 days played time. My first two lvl 60 were quest/grind and the other two were just pure grind and twinked. If anything I say FFXI and EQ is more grinding then WoW.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
Anthrax

EVE Online would be great if they let players actually control their ship. Like Freelancer, Descent Freespace, or X series. But no.. lets do right click to move. Also I think its dumb to let 1 person control a capital ship and you can't even let people man the turrets. Allegiance/SWG anyone?
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote