The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 AM   #1
Rubeus

E3 2018: Phil Spencer On Why Microsoft Announced A New Xbox And What The System Might

I didn't know Microsoft actually announced the next Xbox?

Quote:
E3 2018: Phil Spencer On Why Microsoft Announced A New Xbox And What The System Might Do

Higher frame rate is something Microsoft would like the next Xbox to deliver.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer announced plans for a new Xbox console on the Xbox E3 2018 stage. He didn't share any specifics, so some wondered why he made the announcement at all. Speaking to GameSpot sister site Giant Bomb, Spencer said he did so to assure people that consoles remain important to Microsoft as a company.

"Anybody who might worry about our console future, I just wanted to put that at ease," Spencer said. "I wanted people to know that I love the track record of our hardware team ... we have some ideas in the future [about streaming] but it's not tomorrow. I didn't want people to think we were going to walk away from that part of the brand in the business because it's really important to us."

Also in the interview, Spencer talked about what new features he would like to see in the next Xbox. Among other things, he said he hopes the next Xbox can offer higher frame rates, while he also hopes the team can deliver a box that launches games faster. Additionally, Spencer noted that the balance between CPU and GPU on console currently is "out of whack" compared to PC, so that's something he would also like to address with the next console.

A few years ago, there were rumours and reports about Microsoft apparently wanting to sell off the Xbox brand, with the thinking that the Xbox team's ambitions did not closely enough line up with that of Microsoft overall. And when new CEO Satya Nadella came in, Spencer said there were questions along the lines of "Why is Microsoft in the video game space?" These questions did not come up as a means of condemning Microsoft's efforts in gaming, but rather as an "honest" discussion about Microsoft's direction going forward and whether or not Xbox would be a part of it.

Xbox is indeed very important to Microsoft, and Microsoft's decision to give the Xbox team the time and resources to make a new console and invest in so many new studios speaks to that.

There are rumours circulating online at E3 this week that Microsoft's new console is codenamed Scarlet and may launch in 2020, though Microsoft has not commented. Keep checking back with GameSpot for more.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3.../1100-6459831/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I've bought every MS console since the first Xbox with the 360, One, and 1X being bought at launch. I won't buy another MS console next generation. I do not care for their exclusives and their interface (especially on the One/X) is absolute shit. MS has become good at false promises and playing on those to their fanbase and I am over wasting my money on a system that will just sit.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
I've bought every MS console since the first Xbox with the 360, One, and 1X being bought at launch. I won't buy another MS console next generation. I do not care for their exclusives and their interface (especially on the One/X) is absolute shit. MS has become good at false promises and playing on those to their fanbase and I am over wasting my money on a system that will just sit.
They should make the interface modifiable by the community. I still think the blades system from the 360 was one of the best interfaces ever.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto View Post
I still think the blades system from the 360 was one of the best interfaces ever.
I loved the OG interface for the 360. So nice and clean.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:10 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

So, on topic. It was such a small mention i even missed it.

Like, i don't care. They lost me with the 360. I think their only "good" system was the original Xbox. They had tons of exclusives for that. The console felt right. It was sort of a PC console and brought to console a plethora of PC experiences. But, then came the 360 and they were still trying for the first 2 years but once the big sucess came they layed on their backs and didn't give a s**t anymore.

Now, it's too late for me. Maybe with the new studios they will have more, but i doubt it will be very different. They will still bet on the big shooters. Ninja theory might make some cinematic single player experience but that's it. MS has lost the plot a long time ago and i really wish they left the hardware market and focused on delivering a varied portfolio of games. Heck i wish they went back to making some of those strategy games they used to make.

But i'm ranting. Most of all, not having Microsoft would mean the market wouldn't be rushing into new hardware gens all the time and we could focus more on games. I honestly think a market with just Sony and Nintendo would be better for the consumer. Microsoft is way too greedy and brought a lot of malpractices to the market. We could really do with less of them.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Agree. OG Xbox was the tits. It had serious muscle for the time and you could tell even at a glance that games running on it were more powerful than those running on the GameCube and especially the PS2.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

If only Sega didn't screw up, gaming felt more fun in those days and sports games were actually good.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #8
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechin View Post
If only Sega didn't screw up, gaming felt more fun in those days and sports games were actually good.
Man, I love my Dreamcast. Traded in a crap load of games as a kid to do it, but don't regret it for one moment.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
Man, I love my Dreamcast. Traded in a crap load of games as a kid to do it, but don't regret it for one moment.
yeah I loved the Dreamcast too, what a time to be alive.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
bujeezus

I traded my PS1 and almost all my games (kept FFVII) and never regretted it. The DC is by far my favorite system. No other system managed to impress me like the DC did. It was such a huge leap from the previous systems.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Record of the Lotus Wars was my time sink for that system. I think I explored and completed every corner of that game.