The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #1
Alucard

Team Fortress 2 info

I'm just ripping this straight from voodooextreme cause I cant be stuffed making it my own personal baby. Links are at the link below-

Quote:
PC.IGN was at EA's little Summer press shindig today where Gabe Newell was pimping Team Fortress 2:

Speaking at EA's annual summer press event, Valve's Gabe Newell revealed -- at long last -- Team Fortress 2. Not only did Newell confirm that the title will be included as the multiplayer component of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, but a first glimpse of the class-based shooter showed a surprisingly stylized look reminiscent of campy 60s spy films -- an approach used in titles such as No One Lives Forever and XIII.

Say what? Anyways... they also showed off a new gun that shoots portals (inspired by Prey, I guess):

In addition to showing a quick glimpse of Team Fortress 2 at EA's annual summer press event today, Valve's Gabe Newell also demonstrated an interesting addition to the Half-Life 2 arsenal.

Using a demo called "Portal," Newell showed off a special gun used to create portals similar to those used in Prey. A player could create a portal nearby, for instance, and then a second portal on the other side of a chasm; walking through the first would transport him safely out the second.

It looks like "Portal" is more than just a weapon that fires gateways. It'll be included in Episode 2, so we shall see. There's an interesting tidbit posted by one of our readers in the forums about it:

Valve hired a group of developers (nuclear monkey software: www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com)who had made a game called Narbacular Drop(released on April 22, 2005), where a princess (princess Noknees) shot portals at walls. It's debatable whether this game was inspired by Prey(since it's been in development forever), but it came out at least a year before Prey, and the entire team is working at Valve, so this seems to show how the idea came about.
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/718/718521p1.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
well at least this time ordering one of the "episodes" will be worth it if it's only 20 bucks

I'm going to play Team Fortress 2 right when it comes out! w00t

but also the X-box 360 and PS3 ver. of HL2 will come with episode 1 and 2 and TF2 and portal all in the same disc.

pretty good deal, I wonder if there will be a speical ver. for Wii, cause valve did say it would come out for all 3 consoles, unless cause of hardware problems they can't do that now.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Alucard

Oh sure. You can look forward to a POSSIBLE console release, 1-2years from now.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
Alucard

I'm definately interested!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I can't wait to play it this fall

I loved picking the Spy and then just change my color and then fake my death outside their spawn ready with a knife and when snipers come and I get out of it and start knifing some bitches W000000000000000!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Toy story? Nah i'll stick to hacking 1.6.
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

I'm really not a fan of the loony toons style.

My brother said he better get this for free because when he bought HL2 he was guaranteed any Mod that ever comes out free over steam (at least thats what i think from hearing him complain)
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
spider-prime

TF2 isn't a mod anymore, it's a full game now, just like Counter-strike is and Day of Defeat.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:05 AM   #9
Seraph

He got counterstrike for free. He payed $10 more when he bought it for the all mods free thing.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:42 AM   #10
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
He got counterstrike for free. He payed $10 more when he bought it for the all mods free thing.
that's called a combo pack

you can buy CS:S without HL2.

when I bought the original HL I got every single expansion, DOD, CS, TFC, but I could have bought them without it.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
Seraph

He keeps telling me that the thing he bought included every mod ever made for it plus any new mods that come out. Maybe he dosent know what hes talking about XD
Old 07-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #12
spider-prime

Mods are generally a game that run from files from another game. but TF2, CS:S and DOD:S doesn't need HL2 to be installed. Which mean they aren't mods but they're own games.

but if you run the older mod games, HL1 HAS to be installed.

But if your brother bought the HL2 Silver pack over steam, then yes he already has all the stuff that is supposed to come out for it, which was also DOD:S and not TF2 cause it wasn't included with it.

and Mods are usually free to download cause they are running off of the original game. like 1.6 of CS and DOD.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
Alucard

Tell your brother to go back to Xbox if he cant figure this out by now.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Alucard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaF638MBSAE

Ok heresa clip that shows the characters a little better. Not really any actual gameplay, but I'm pretty sure the entire clip is done with the ingame engine.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

high def teaser:

http://media.xboxyde.com/torrent/tf2_teaser.avi.torrent
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote